• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

you guys need to use flash more

Metà

Smash Master
side-b is wolf's best KO move, and he has soooo many moves that set up for it

Shine: Works on every character, easy to land, and has a very wide range where it works. Shine waveland flash and shine OOS to flash are pretty cool. It's also really easy to set up when you finish a combo with d-air into the stage, and they miss the tech so you can punish with shine --> flash

D-air: The easiest set-up by far, this is basically Wolf's equivalent of a stomp knee. Works until ridiculously high percents, and you have lots of time to read the DI.

U-air: Works best on floaties, and on fast-fallers when they survival DI. U-air off the stage into flash is an actual thing, as seen in this combo video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=OapTqQbbjwg

F-air: The strong hit is the best one to hit this with. I often catch people with ledge-hop auto-cancel f-air into side-b, and it's pretty safe because you'll be doing it over the stage. I also frequently end combos with f-air to flash off the stage. You run off at them with a full-hop f-air and double jump into it, it's stylish as ****

B-air: the coolest set-up in the game (with the exception of the one I mention at the end), but only works if they survival DI pretty hard. It happens a lot, but usually you're off the stage when you hit them with b-air, so it's pretty risky. I've done b-air x2 to flash, and it feels amazing

B-throw: pretty reliable at high percents, especially on floaties

D-throw: with really weird DI, this works on some characters, but I never use this throw cause it sucks

U-throw: at VERY high percents, this works on some fast-fallers, but again, very unreliable

Up-tilt: if they DI away, this is possible. 2.6 Wolf had two frames shaved off the IASA, so you can do this a bit better I guess

D-tilt: high percent, really cool combo. very rare, but worth it if you land it

Dash attack: I usually have to shorten to make this one work. It's usually best to just go for a u-air or f-air into flash after the dash attack. Either that or d-air them and hope they miss the tech. Shine also works. Dash attack --> shine --> shorten is the sickest thing ever

Laser: SinisterB does this to me sometimes. He'll jump at me with a laser, then shorten flash right into my face. it's disgusting

Tech-chase on platforms: a lot of platforms are at the just the right height for this to work. technically it'll work on any platform, but low platforms are the nicest cause you can do it out of a dash

Reading their jump: sometimes people sit in their shield, and I do a half shorten into their face to read the jump. really flashy but again, it's a hard read. super hard read

FLASH: on some stages it's very easy to edge cancel the side-b, like on PS2. I have verified that side-b to side-b is an actual combo at some percents. I did it to Peach at around 30%. you're not gonna get a KO with it, because they have to be at a low % for it to work, but damn is it cool

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
I love how there's a whole thread about this now.
Awesome.
tl;dr from 1 year ago-today = If you're not finishing 1/2 of the opponents stocks before 100% with Side-B, you're playing Wolf wrong.

~Frozen~

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frozen491
3DS FC
3909-8017-8600
Also want to add to this discussion that SideB SHORTEN is also the greatest thing ever about Wolf. Seriously Flash is so flexible in that you get 9 different distances from it (3 lengths, 3 angles) which allows for incredibly unique and creative setups.

Metà

Smash Master
there's actually 4 lengths, and i use all of them for different purposes

full length: the go-to standard everyone knows and loves
3/4 length: the "i ****ed up" length, where you wanted a full-length but mis-spaced it
1/2 length: great for shine --> flash in mid-air
1/4 length: the jankiest shorten, use wisely

AbstractLogic

Smash Journeyman
Wolf NEEDS to get his DJ back after a succesful flash. It's a shame to chase offstage with it and not be able to get back because of silly things like jumps.

AbstractLogic

Smash Journeyman
Btw Meta. As a fellow YOLO Flash enthusiast. one that is basically guaranteed on floaties if they don't DI is F-throw to full length flash. It's a nice mixups to back throw DI and it works from like 40-65 ish

GeZ

Smash Lord
I wandered over to these forums because of some friendlies I've played recently using wolf. Definitely a cool character. He feels very diversified from the other spacies, while still having some similar tools. I don't have a great command of his tools right now but I'd like to put some time into this character because he's a heap of fun. His combo tools are interesting and I feel that while I have yet to grasp the purpose of many of his tools, I'll really enjoy them once I do. What are your guys thoughts on shine, WD backwards out of shine into SideB?
Also a thread about the best super hero (see PROFILE PIC) has been needed since the dawn of forums, and the birth of Taborlin the Great (keyboard warrior).

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
I wandered over to these forums because of some friendlies I've played recently using wolf. Definitely a cool character. He feels very diversified from the other spacies, while still having some similar tools. I don't have a great command of his tools right now but I'd like to put some time into this character because he's a heap of fun. His combo tools are interesting and I feel that while I have yet to grasp the purpose of many of his tools, I'll really enjoy them once I do. What are your guys thoughts on shine, WD backwards out of shine into SideB?
Also a thread about the best super hero (see PROFILE PIC) has been needed since the dawn of forums, and the birth of Taborlin the Great (keyboard warrior).
Sounds like another of the zillions of good ways to set up into flash. I frequently do a similar thing when I get midair shines, jump in the opposite direction it sends to open opportunities for flash at lower percents, especially on FFers. I think when you try these kinds of setups for flash though, you need to consider if/when it's worth trading another more guaranteed follow up for a chancy flash which might be evaded through DI.

It takes a lot of restraint for me sometimes to not immediately go for flash in situations where you really have to react to DI. I think the worst thing you can do is commit flash combos to muscle memory. As long as you can avoid doing that, whatever setups work for you, it's all gravy.

ViewtifulHoe242

Smash Journeyman
how can i consistently shorten wolfs side b, is it by mashing b or is timing involved? and does the 3 frame buffer help? whats this about angling the flash? i wish there were pics around about this kinda stuff :/
im hungry to master this move after i accidentally ko'ed someone with a jab reset to a mini flash
pls halp mi

RabidJackal

Smash Apprentice
Shortening his side-B is a timing thing. Not sure if the 3-frame-buffer will help. To angle his flash you have to either hold up or down (up to angle up & down to angle down obviously) right after pressing side & B. Angling it doesn't change it too drastically, but it can be useful in some situations and to help sweetspot easier when recovering. And holy **** this
jab reset to a mini flash
sounds amazing and I'm going to start trying this all the time now LOL

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
3 frame buffer gives you a more leniant window for tight inputs. Say that you throw a person, and want to immediately dash after them to get a hit. Without buffer, you would have to know the timing extremely precisely. If you dash too early, the game does nothing and you sit there. With a buffer on though, you could accidently dash "too early" just a bit, and it would still be OK. The buffer would read your input, and would do the frame tight dash for you.

Buffer is mostly noticeable when you are linking actions together. If I were standing still and did a single grab, my grab would come out just as quickly no matter how much or how little buffer there is. But, let's say that I am recovering from a laggy Smash attack and want to grab immediately afterwards. Having a buffer on will make that follow up action, in this case the grab, a bit easier to time.

Top Bottom