• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"YOU GOT NO STYLE!" The Anthony Higgs 4 Smash Thread! Remember him?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Team Ninja wasn't bad at all for the project. The final product might be dissapointing, but with a few tweaks, Other M could've been an amazing game.

I really don't get the hate for games as Other M and Skyward Sword. Both games took great risks to innovate the series' gameplay, and succeeded for the most part. Yet people love ******** about it like there is no tomorrow.

Groose

Smash Champion
Am wondering if Anthony will get some more support if Ridley is deconfirmed again. Other M IS heavily featured in Smash now.
The chance of that is even lower than the chance that Sakurai will make himself playable in Smash.

People hate Other M with such a burning passion that everything in it is immediately spurned.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I liked the game. And Sakurai apperantly has a small liking of it as well. As before, Samus was 100% based of Super Metroid in Smash 64, Melee and Brawl. Now she's completely different. And in Brawl, they could've easily went for a Prime design. Cause after all, they added a stage from Prime.

Other M IS this time the main game most of Metroid's representation comes from. Trophies, stages, possibly items and Assist Trophies, could and most likely will all be based on Other M.

Anthony Higgs has a chance. And if people want to see an actual Metroid newcomer this time, you better hope for Anthony. Cause unless there'll be a new Metroid game announched soon with a very important new character, don't hope for anything else than Anthony. Unless your content with Samus / Zero Suit Samus of coarse.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, force Anthony support down people's throats in light of the current Ridley situation, whose not even 100% deconfirmed yet. :u You sly opportunist you.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
:awesome:

To be honest, yeah, now indeed IS the best time to voice out Anthony Higgs support. But am trying my best not to rub too many wounds with salt.

Ridley fans will be butthurt for a long time though. So it's gonna be difficult.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Well since you put it that way, I respect your gesture a little more.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
I liked the game. And Sakurai apperantly has a small liking of it as well. As before, Samus was 100% based of Super Metroid in Smash 64, Melee and Brawl. Now she's completely different. And in Brawl, they could've easily went for a Prime design. Cause after all, they added a stage from Prime.

Other M IS this time the main game most of Metroid's representation comes from. Trophies, stages, possibly items and Assist Trophies, could and most likely will all be based on Other M.

Anthony Higgs has a chance. And if people want to see an actual Metroid newcomer this time, you better hope for Anthony. Cause unless there'll be a new Metroid game announched soon with a very important new character, don't hope for anything else than Anthony. Unless your content with Samus / Zero Suit Samus of coarse.
I think that has to do more with the fact that the Prime games were made by an American developer. Not that he's anti-american developers or anything but it's harder to talk to them and get any ideas from them like he would IS or other people in Nintendo. Sakurai's interviews lead me to believe he actually does consult other people within Nintendo fairly regularly. It's kinda sad though really, how much he seemed to try his best to ignore the prime games but is throwing all sorts of Other M stuff in there. He can't be oblivious at how terrible that games reception was. If we don't get Ridley playable than the only other acceptable rep would be Dark Samus or maybe one of the hunters.

I agree that Anthony is one of the more bearable aspects of Other M but he's still pretty much generic black space marine. I'd rather have no new Metroid reps than any more random **** from Other M that includes Anthony, he's bearable compared to the rest of the game but still entirely forgettable and nothing about him seems like "oh man that would make for a cool moveset!" Honestly he'd be awful the only worse option for Metroid would be Adam or MB. A generic space pirate would be more welcomed than any Other M characters.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, he has freeze guns and a gaint plasma laser.

Also, Rare is an European company, and Sakurai has always used the Rare-created Donkey Kong. Even created Diddy's Special Moves from DK64. And it's likely he'll take inspiration from DKC: Returns, which was also made by Retro.

Prime was less of a succes in Japan though. Not sure how they received Other M, but looking back, Sakurai really didn't have any good reasons not to use the Prime designs. Especially since Meta-Ridley still made it as a boss.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
From what I heard Other M wasn't really popular even in Japan either. Ironic since that's what it was more directed toward as far as the kind of writing it had.

But yeah, the lack of Prime designs was strange since that's what was more or less most recent at the time of Brawl.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Well, he has freeze guns and a gaint plasma laser.

Also, Rare is an European company, and Sakurai has always used the Rare-created Donkey Kong. Even created Diddy's Special Moves from DK64. And it's likely he'll take inspiration from DKC: Returns, which was also made by Retro.

Prime was less of a succes in Japan though. Not sure how they received Other M, but looking back, Sakurai really didn't have any good reasons not to use the Prime designs. Especially since Meta-Ridley still made it as a boss.
The Rare designed DK is the official DK appearance. It's his appearance in Mario universe games, so there would no way to avoid using Rare DK. Diddy Kong's lack of appearance in Melee (whether it was a result of the Rare buyout or anything of that nature) signals to me that there is a partial but unintentional focus on internally developed Japanese games. Using Diddy Kong's moves from any game has to do with the fact that his main appearances prior to Brawl were all in Rare developed titles. There were no other options any way.

Other M was developed by Japanese developers Team Ninja, so it may have well tried to better appeal to the Japanese audiences. I think Japanese audiences might have an aversion to First Person games.

But I don't think Metroid Prime was underrepresented in Brawl. Zero Suit Samus is based off MP2. The Varia suit of Super Metroid and Metroid Prime seem pretty similar to me. And Frigate Orpheon was a Prime based stage. And there's also all the sticker and trophies.

I think of Smash as about celebrating Nintendo's history. The good, the bad, and the meh. So it doesn't make sense to me to not have focus on Other M. Prime got some focus with Brawl, and Super Metroid got its focus with the two prior iterations. Other M should get its due; including Anthony Higgs if Sakurai desires.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Pretty sure Zero Suit Samus is based off of Zero Mission, which was its first appearance.

And the Super and Prime designs for Samus aren't really that similar, not that I'm making a big deal about it.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Pretty sure Zero Suit Samus is based off of Zero Mission, which was its first appearance.

And the Super and Prime designs for Samus aren't really that similar, not that I'm making a big deal about it.
I meant that it takes elements from the Metroid Prime 2 appearance.

As for differences between those two, I think the basic elements are similar. As opposed to the lack of ridges of the shoulders on the Other M. Suit. You can argue that Prime uses a different visualization of the same suit.

I think it's unfair to say that there is an aversion to Prime in Brawl. Prime got it's fair share of references, as did Super Metroid. That's my point.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Oh, I wasn't arguing that Prime 1 or 2 got little to no content in Brawl compared to the non-Prime Metroid games. Was just clarifying on a couple minor details.

Needless to say, Brawl didn't have any Prime 3 content (even in the form of trophies) because much of Brawl had already been finished by the time that game even came out. You'd think there would be at least a little Prime 3 material in SSB4 though in addition to the Other M stuff. Guess we'll have to wait and see on that.

I agree on the rest. Different visualization was pretty much what I meant.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Team Ninja wasn't bad at all for the project. The final product might be dissapointing, but with a few tweaks, Other M could've been an amazing game.

I really don't get the hate for games as Other M and Skyward Sword. Both games took great risks to innovate the series' gameplay, and succeeded for the most part. Yet people love *****ing about it like there is no tomorrow.
Team Ninja is just as much to blame as Sakamoto and the rest for Other M being the flop that it was. Even if you ignore the full ****** direction they went with the story and Samus' characterization you are still left with an at best mediocre game. And calling it mediocre is being nice. While I wouldn't argue that they tried to be innovative with Other M I would argue that it was a success. Linear exploration, boring brainless combat and laughable boss fights and puzzles. The only good thing I'd say about other M is Team Ninja came up with a sexy Zero Suit Samus.

Skyward Sword I was fine with though I thought it was great. There were a couple things I disliked about it but not enough to get in the way of the game as a whole. I wouldn't rank it as high as say OoT or TWW but I will certainly replay it and don't at all regret buying it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Do you think Anthony has a better shot than Adam?

I think so yeah. Adam is not likely to be returning in a next game. Unless it's a Other M / Fusion prequel. Which I don't think will happen. Am thinking the next Metroid will be in a time after Other M's story. So Anthony has a bigger chance to feature in there. He's not dead for once, and I think Adam's role has been finished with Other M. He might be featured in some flashbacks, but he's kind of the James McCloud of Metroid in a way. Anthony has potential to be the Falco.

Also jaytalks, that's a very clever point you made about Diddy not being in Melee. And Sakurai working more with the Japanese developers. I think he'd be more than informed enough about DKC with Miyamoto however. Though he himself might not have thought Diddy was top priority for Melee either. Anyway, I totally get your point, and agree fully. Only I haven't thought of it in that way yet.

Shotguner159

Smash Apprentice
I think so yeah. Adam is not likely to be returning in a next game. Unless it's a Other M / Fusion prequel. Which I don't think will happen. Am thinking the next Metroid will be in a time after Other M's story. So Anthony has a bigger chance to feature in there. He's not dead for once, and I think Adam's role has been finished with Other M. He might be featured in some flashbacks, but he's kind of the James McCloud of Metroid in a way. Anthony has potential to be the Falco.
Adam is still around in Fusion, albeit as an AI. Why is he not likely to be returning unless it's another prequel when his last known location chronologically is as Samus' ship?

DukeofShorts

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Braedenthegreat
How come when someone(Diddy Kong) mentions Anthony Higgs on another thread(Ridley thread) people respond with anger even though Anthony is usually people's favourite part of Other M. Just wondering.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
More like because Diddy's obsession with almost any character can get pretty annoying anywhere after awhile, whether it's Anthony, Impa, Blastoise, or **** if I know. The first times he mentioned Anthony too during the current Ridley situation (possibility of him becoming a stage hazard), he tried to 'cash in' by being like "Now you HAVE to support Anthony if you want a Metroid rep. There's no other choice!".

And he had the nerve to call us immature.

Yep, people on the Ridley thread have responded to him angrily just for the sake of it. :rolleyes:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Call me obsessed if you will, but I know where to stop. If we've seen a stage confirmed like... Sealed Grounds, and it said 'Zelda's caretaker could appear any second' I knew I shouldn't get my hopes up for Impa anymore. This Ridley obsession is a serious thing for many Smash speculators, and it has been since Melee's trailer. It's no problem of coarse to like Ridley, but to call ME obsessed while defending a fanbase as Ridley's is laughable. Sorry.

Impa, Anthony and Blastoise are cool, but I already have my favorite Nintendo character ever in, which is Diddy. I'd take his inclusion over those 3 any time. Heck, I'd choose Diddy far above my actual favorite newcomers, King K.Rool, Isaac and Mewtwo (which people strangely enough DON'T call me obsessed over, yet I want them far more than Impa, Anthony and Blastoise :rolleyes: ).

And please show me where I said those things exactly. Yes, I said Anthony Higgs is the most likely second Metroid character at this point. And yes, I think Ridley supporters should accept their fate by now. But I stated my intentions earlier, no need to keep bringing it up all the time.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Call me obsessed if you will, but I know where to stop. If we've seen a stage confirmed like... Sealed Grounds, and it said 'Zelda's caretaker could appear any second' I knew I shouldn't get my hopes up for Impa anymore. This Ridley obsession is a serious thing for many Smash speculators, and it has been since Melee's trailer. It's no problem of coarse to like Ridley, but to call ME obsessed while defending a fanbase as Ridley's is laughable. Sorry.
If that Sealed Grounds scenario happened I would even say you were jumping to conclusions just as others called you out on the Ridley situation. Something like "**** could appear at any second" is pretty vague/cryptic on whether someone will be a stage thing or playable.

And seriously, you keep generalizing Ridley's fanbase like everyone in it here is the same. Its got its realistic people, as well as the opposite. If an update showed something like Ridley being somewhere on the Pyrosphere and there was no "newcomer" banner or anything, no text at all underneath for the picutre, we wouldn't get our hopes up for him anymore; we'd know where to stop (me, Wariofan, Oasis, etc). The ones that gasp at straws by being like "Maybe Other M Ridley will just be a stage hazard while Super Metroid's Ridley will be playable!" are pretty far in-between, and is unfair to judge the Ridley fanbase as a whole just because of a couple users like that. Those are obsessed though, I'll agree.

Impa, Anthony and Blastoise are cool, but I already have my favorite Nintendo character ever in, which is Diddy. I'd take his inclusion over those 3 any time. Heck, I'd choose Diddy far above my actual favorite newcomers, King K.Rool, Isaac and Mewtwo (which people strangely enough DON'T call me obsessed over, yet I want them far more than Impa, Anthony and Blastoise :rolleyes: ).
Fair enough. Difference between K. Rool, Isaac, and Mewtwo though is you don't spam them in other threads the way you have Impa or Anthony. If the opposite was true, everyone would be fine and not annoyed with your Impa/Anthony/whatever fandom just as they are with your support of K. Rool, Mewtwo, and the like.

And please show me where I said those things exactly. Yes, I said Anthony Higgs is the most likely second Metroid character at this point. And yes, I think Ridley supporters should accept their fate by now. But I stated my intentions earlier, no need to keep bringing it up all the time.
I don't have to show you anything. Was merely quoting the context of what your recent Anthony post(s) come off as.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well okay that's settled then. And yeah, there are more realistic Ridley supporters. You are probably one of them, but I personally would've given up. Much like Chrono did.

Impa and Anthony have to be mentoined cause they are less popular additions. And around Impa is another thing I find myself in conflict with, the 'no cuts' mentality. While they have happened in Brawl, and if we get a bigger roster now, I'm sure a few faces will not reappear on the roster this time either.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
To give Anthony credit, he's one of 4 people to have taken a shot at Ridley and lived. Of the others, one was Samus, one was later killed bySamus (Rundas) and the last one wasn't canon (Pikachu).

Not sure that alone would get him into smash though.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Rundas never took a shot at Ridley. Ridley would've wasted him if he did since fire > ice.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Rundas never took a shot at Ridley. Ridley would've wasted him if he did since fire > ice.

And to fair Smaus was shooting down Ridley in the mouth with her arm canon so that skews things, but the point still stands that Anthony is the only human besides Samus we've seen to be alive after taking on Ridley. I think so anyway, I never read the manga.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes King, you are on the list now.

Any more bro's and / or gentlemen around here I wonder?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Search and you'll find they say right? Nice to add another supporter to the list!

And yes, if Ridley isn't in, Anthony is the next most logical choice. Biggest WTF-character besides WFT perhaps, but an awesome one, and maybe most importantly: a Metroid character NOT named Samus.

Anthony would also like to thank his fans and supporters!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No problems at all, I will add you to the list!

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I thought this was a troll thread until I saw Diddy made it, then I knew it was subliminal Anti-Ridley propaganda. =3

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
If only he reappeared in another Metroid game since he was the only likable character in Other M. :(

Top Bottom