• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThunderBird2678

Smash Apprentice
I think we need a villian to counter the two heroes. The Black Knight would probably be the most well known, though.

If you want a female character, how about a female villian? (Pertrine comes to mind).

Ike-Sama, I never said that the Black Knight was better than Ike. I favor the Black Knight's fighting style, but it's not exactly always the best. I got all my data by repeatedly watching cutscenes.

:phone:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I am kinda warming up to having Lyn playable since of late. Hard to choose between her and Roy for a fourth spot though. If I had to go unrealistic though, I'd choose Hector. Though with him not even getting a DLC in FE13, I'm not expecting him at all...

And now the question: why is there no Hector, Eliwood and Sigurd DLC, but there is DLC for both FE2 lords, Ellincia and Micaiah??? As well as both Eirika and Ephraim. I didn't think of Hector and Eliwood as less important story-wise than Lyn so I'm kind of surprised...

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
I am kinda warming up to having Lyn playable since of late. Hard to choose between her and Roy for a fourth spot though. If I had to go unrealistic though, I'd choose Hector. Though with him not even getting a DLC in FE13, I'm not expecting him at all...

And now the question: why is there no Hector, Eliwood and Sigurd DLC, but there is DLC for both FE2 lords, Ellincia and Micaiah??? As well as both Eirika and Ephraim. I didn't think of Hector and Eliwood as less important story-wise than Lyn so I'm kind of surprised...

my theory is like this :

FE2, FE8 got 2 main lords both lords were put, the Male from FE2 represented a new class and the Female from FE8 represented a new class.

FE4 got Celice.

FE5 got Leaf

FE1 got Marth

FE6 got Roy

FE7 got Lyn

FE9/10: Elincia, Ike, Micaiah....

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's weird cause I always pictured Eliwood and Hector are more important story-wise than Lyn. They'd also have more to offer class-wise as Eliwood would've been a Paladin and Hector a General. We don't have those yet, but Cecile is also a Swordmaster much like Lyn is.

They sure as hell are much more important story-related than Ellincia at least... :rolleyes:

But maybe they are trying to prevent confusion between the stories of FE4/FE5 and FE6/FE7 by not having both father and son, but only the sons? Though, why should that matter if all characters came 'from another world'?

I just wanted Hector manye...... :c

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
It's weird cause I always pictured Eliwood and Hector are more important story-wise than Lyn. They'd also have more to offer class-wise as Eliwood would've been a Paladin and Hector a General. We don't have those yet, but Cecile is also a Swordmaster much like Lyn is.

They sure as hell are much more important story-related than Ellincia at least... :rolleyes:

To me I think Lyn is more important because she was the first character I played in Fire Emblem....from story-wise Hector and Eliwood are more Important but from an aesthetic side Lyn is more important she is what you first saw as a western Player but it seems Int Sys choose Ike as the Fire Emblem western mascot...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
As a western player yeah, but Lyn was never too popular in Japan iirc.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
As a western player yeah, but Lyn was never too popular in Japan iirc.

well Sakurai knows that Smash is not a japan exclusive game and western Smash players base is way bigger than japan's so you gotta have balance after all Fire Emblem has westerns fanbases....so Sakurai should balance between westerns and Japanese players,after all Fire Emblem: Awakening is planned for a western release, and it will have DLC to, most of the characters in the DLC are mostly unknown to western players to so that's the point.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
If a female Fire Emblem character are coming to ssb4, I want Lucina!

Spoiler Alert!

[COLLAPSE="Who's Lucina?"]Lucina is Krom's daughter[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Masked Lucina"]

Some people think that this masked person is Marth! But it's Lucina from the future! I don't know all the story from Fire Emblem: Kakusei ( or Awakening whatever)[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Normal Lucina"]

And this is just Lucina from the present. I don't known what is that butterfly thing in her hand, but I got a idea of a projectile right now![/COLLAPSE]

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
If a female Fire Emblem character are coming to ssb4, I want Lucina! Krom's daughter!

Some people think that this masked person is Marth! But it's Lucina from the future! I don't know all the story from Fire Emblem: Kakusei ( or Awakening whatever)

And this is just Lucina from the present
If any characters from FE Awakening appear in SSB4, it's most likely going to be Krom.
By the way, the first image dosen't work.

NessPSI

Smash Rookie
I personally think anybody in there right mind should know what fire emblem characters will stay and who won't. Marth will stay because he's... well Marth. Lyn will get in because she's A fan favorite and she we would actually get A female fire emblem character! (and she was already and assist trophie which gives her even more of A chance to get in.) and finally as most if not all should know, Ike will no doubt be replaced by krom. Being nearly identical to Krom in almost every way (Even looks) but newer, him replacing Ike is probably A given!

As much as I would like Roy to get in it probably won't happen, but if be small chance he DOES bget in he will probably be getting Lyn's spot in the roster.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Lyn is probably not going to happen. Besides if there has to be a female Fire Emblem character, logically speaking it would have to be Caeda.

GinnTokki

Smash Rookie
Why would Lyn not happen? She's from the first FE game that came stateside (it came here because of SSBM) and she was an assist trophy. Saying she won't get in is like saying Isaac won't get in. I'm pretty sure both are already sure to be in.
They could add Awakening characters to promote the game here like they did with Roy. Though I surely do hope Roy gets put back in and not just some disc data that was never used.
Also, I'll bet there will be more characters available later due to DLC. I would be surprised if SSB4 didn't use DLC, as pretty much every fighting game does and does it well (except for Crapcom).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Why would Lyn not happen? She's from the first FE game that came stateside (it came here because of SSBM) and she was an assist trophy. Saying she won't get in is like saying Isaac won't get in. I'm pretty sure both are already sure to be in.
They could add Awakening characters to promote the game here like they did with Roy. Though I surely do hope Roy gets put back in and not just some disc data that was never used.
Also, I'll bet there will be more characters available later due to DLC. I would be surprised if SSB4 didn't use DLC, as pretty much every fighting game does and does it well (except for Crapcom).
Comparing Lyn to Isaac in likelihood because they were both ATs is ludicrous. That's like saying that Lakitu, Helirin, or Doctor Wright have as much of a chance as Little Mac or Goroh. I'd say Ike "represents American Fire Emblem" well enough, anyway. Plus, there's no guarantee that Krom would replace him, NessPsi.

Here's how I think it'll happen: Marth and Ike are a given, Krom is added. If any extra time allows for it, Roy will be put in, but won't be a priority.

Just my prediction.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I haven't played much fire emblem, but for the next smash bros i'd rather see a new character from the series that doesnt rely on a sword as much. I was thinking like Micaiah or something. I mean i think either way any of those characters would be great, but i would love to see another character similar to Zelda with magic attacks

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Krom can use a sword and a lance. Perhaps they'll go for using both in Smash? A lance user would be interesting.

D

Deleted member

As Devil's advocate, I have to mention that Ike was capable of using axes, yet did not use one in Brawl.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
True, true. On that note, wasn't there some interview with Sakurai that said Ike originally had a projectile, but later they decided against it? Maybe it was an ax toss? Then again, we may never know.

But, it could happen. Maybe at best we'll get a lance rush side B.

D

Deleted member

He specifically said "Ragnell's projectile". Did Ragnell have a projectile in Ike's games?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ah, that's what it was? My mistake.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
I personally think anybody in there right mind should know what fire emblem characters will stay and who won't. Marth will stay because he's... well Marth. Lyn will get in because she's A fan favorite and she we would actually get A female fire emblem character! (and she was already and assist trophie which gives her even more of A chance to get in.) and finally as most if not all should know, Ike will no doubt be replaced by krom. Being nearly identical to Krom in almost every way (Even looks) but newer, him replacing Ike is probably A given!

As much as I would like Roy to get in it probably won't happen, but if be small chance he DOES bget in he will probably be getting Lyn's spot in the roster.
No you don't know what you're talking about, first of all the Intelligent System value Ike as much as they value Marth, and Krom doesn't resemble Ike only he resembles Marth to, but to make this short, if there's no third spot for Fire Emblem in the next game than it's possible to see krom replacing Ike, but if there was a third spot for Fire Emblem it will be for Krom and with keeping Ike....inb4 Marth Ike is the only character who had the main role in two Fire Emblem games, he was the only main character who had a descendant in FE13, there are alot of speculation going around that Paris (Ike's descendant) will be the main character of Fire Emblem 13.

NessPSI

Smash Rookie
No. Paris is Ike's son, and he does appear in Awakening. Here's his character.

and just because A character appears in more than one game does not mean they are going to stay. Take Camus for example. He appeared in 5 games more than any other character in fire emblem and has yet to even have A sticker. The only reason I was put in brawl was for advertisement. The same way Roy was put in, then taken out in the next game. Marth only stayed because he's the icon of fire emblem. Them replacing Ike for Krom would be the smartest move for them because 1: The game has been confirmed for America and it will most likely come out around the same time as smash bros wii u. 2: Krom already plays very much like how ike did in his game. 3: Fire Emblem Awakening is already the most selling fire emblem game even surpassing new mystery of the emblem by double.

D

Deleted member

Ike was not added for advertisement.
Roy was not removed for being irrelevant.

Try again.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Ike was not added for advertisement.
Roy was not removed for being irrelevant.

Try again.
the only character that could be considered relevant for the FE series would be Marth, since he is the first protagonist of the series. Roy was considered to be in Brawl as unused files suggest, so he was likely removed because of time constraints.

as Golden said, Ike wasn't added for advertisements, but as a character from the most recent FE games at the time of Brawl's release. Roy, though, was added to advertise FE6 in Melee...

since Brawl, the only FE games released so far are the DS remakes of FE1 and 3, featuring Marth and FE13 which features a new roster of characters as well as Marth, Roy, Ike and many other characters from previous FE games via DLC... so anything is possible in SSB4.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
as Golden said, Ike wasn't added for advertisements, but as a character from the most recent FE games at the time of Brawl's release. Roy, though, was added to advertise FE6 in Melee...
I think you're only getting half the message, there was no relevance or advertising involved in any of the character decisions.

Ike was added because Sakurai made the room for a new FE character, who then asked IS on who they'd prefer and thought would work the best in Smash's setting.

With Roy, according to Sakurai, he added him because he'd work well in Smash's setting as well. Though the rumors say he went in to IS to ask for some character advise, was given a sneak peak at FE6 and Roy's flame sword, and thought Roy was a better choice than what he was originally going to ask for.

D

Deleted member

IIRC, wasn't his original idea Leaf? I mean, compared to Roy's flame sword, I can see why using Leaf as the Marth clone may not have been so interesting.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
IIRC, wasn't his original idea Leaf? I mean, compared to Roy's flame sword, I can see why using Leaf as the Marth clone may not have been so interesting.
I've heard that might have been the case, but I've yet to see any real confirmation of that.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
well, one of Marth's alt colors is Leaf's color scheme (minus brown hair). both characters are similar. but since Roy has the flame sword, he made a more interesting character. and I'm sure I've seen somewhere that Roy was added as a preview for FE6, but then again, it could be false information...

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Yeah, that's what the sources with salt said.

Does make a lot of sense to have been looking at him though, Leaf started in 2 FE games, was the most popular lord coming from FE4-5, was similar in looks to Marth, Marth got a Leaf alt in Melee as well.

NessPSI

Smash Rookie
I think you're only getting half the message, there was no relevance or advertising involved in any of the character decisions.

Ike was added because Sakurai made the room for a new FE character, who then asked IS on who they'd prefer and thought would work the best in Smash's setting.

With Roy, according to Sakurai, he added him because he'd work well in Smash's setting as well. Though the rumors say he went in to IS to ask for some character advise, was given a sneak peak at FE6 and Roy's flame sword, and thought Roy was a better choice than what he was originally going to ask for.
Yeah. I guess I was wrong about Ike being put in for advertisement, but Roy I know 100% was put in for advertisement purposes. That's actually the reason Roy was put in even before his game was released. To show him off and get people excited for his upcoming game.

D

Deleted member

I would say more 50%, as again, between his original idea of Leaf as the Marth clone (which would hardly have any difference) vs. Roy as the Marth clone (T3H PH1R3), it was clear who the more interesting character would be.

That, and it was to promote Fire Emblem "as a whole", not just the one game.

NessPSI

Smash Rookie
Marth was there to promote fire emblem as A whole. That we know for A fact. Since Leaf was the original idea though they most likely decided to replace him with Roy to promote his game.

D

Deleted member

That's just it.
You THINK that's how it went down.

Yet we KNOW otherwise.

D

Deleted member

We have Sakurai's words.
Doesn't get any more "right" than that.

ChronoBound said:
I decided go into some details that I think are important in regards to speculation pertaining Fire Emblem in Smash Bros.

On Sakurai and Fire Emblem:
Sakurai has called himself a big fan of the Fire Emblem series. He has gone as far as to be the interviewer for the Iwata Asks feature for Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon. Sakurai has stated that his favorite character in the series is Nabarl.

On Marth in Smash Bros.:
Marth is the face of Fire Emblem in Japan. Fire Emblem Monsho no Nazo is to Fire Emblem as Ocarina of Time is to Zelda or Star Fox 64 is to Star Fox. FE3 is by far the most popular game in the series in Japan, and sold by far the most copies. Marth was also the main lord for four games in the series (two games prior to Melee). Marth was also by far the most requested character to represent the Fire Emblem series in a poll that Sakurai had prior to beginning development on Melee (by comparison, Celice got only four votes, while Sigurd and Leaf only got two votes each).

On Roy in Smash Bros.:
Contrary to popular belief, Roy was not placed in at the request of Intelligent Systems, but rather it was Sakurai's idea. Sakurai said that placing in Roy was his idea and that he did it primarily to promote "not just a new game, but the series as a whole."

On Ike in Smash Bros:
Sakurai stated in an interview with Famitsu that Ike got in Smash Bros. because he wanted Fire Emblem to have a new character from a more recent installment and he did not know who to put in. Sakurai went to Intelligent Systems for help regarding this matter, and Intelligent Systems suggest Ike to Sakurai. It is important to keep in mind that FE9 was the worst selling game in the series in Japan (yes, even selling more poorly than Thracia 776). The only three games in the series to sell below 200K in Japan were FE9, FE5, and FE10. Another interesting thing to note is that Sakurai said he originally planned for Ike to have the Ragnell's ranged attack, however, he felt this made Ike unbalance so it was scrapped.

On Roy being cut from Brawl:
Mewtwo and Roy being cut was likely the result of time constraints. Sakurai has gone on the record to say that he intended more characters to be in Brawl's roster but was not able to implement them due to time constraints.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Meh, I don't like that Chrono quote, it takes a the Roy-Sakurai quote out of context a little.

In the quote, Sakurai says promotion was an added benefit, not the main reason. Which should be obvious anyway due to that Leaf quote (which isn't concrete, but holds up) and Sakurai's attitude in the past towards character additions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom