• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You don't have to use the GC controller!

What controller do you use

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Recently, I've been seeing a lot of discrimination against CC,GP,PC,Wiimote, and nun chuck players. This has to stop! Look, the classic controller is no different than the gamecube controller, but with the ZL button. I understand people who started with Melee, aka "veterans" are used to it, but in my opinion it's a rubbish controller, personally the 3rd worst controller.There is no ZL button to grab, which takes Gampepad,Pro controller, and CC players ages to get used to. Next, Y and X are in different places, but that's kinda NBD. No offense, but I think the GCC is overrated. No offense. Thoughts? (An example is i a video where Junebug plays a Luigi as Lucario, the commentator says, "He's not even using a gamecube controller.!":4lucario::4luigi::GCA::GCB::GCX::GCY::GCLT::GCRT::GCZ::GCDpad::GCStart::GCN::GCU::GCUR::GCR::GCDR::GCD::GCDL::GCL::GCUL::GCCN::GCCU::GCCUR::GCCR::GCCDR::GCCD::GCCDL::GCCL::GCCUL:

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
Oh boy, here we go...

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I just step out of a certain social group and I still witness people getting annoyed at others wanting to use the GC controller...

Back to sticking to the social boards.

But for real though, I enjoy using the Gamepad and the 3DS for Smash, but I find myself having a much easier time using the GC controller due to its comfort and accessibility.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
LMAOOO XD There IS a ZL button. Its basically got the same placement as the bloody GP and Pro controllers :facepalm:

Seriously where have you been hearing this?

No one has ever said that you HAVE TO use the GC controller only >_> Only idiots say that >_>

And I'll be honest, I'm not even a Melee veteran, and its the 2nd best controller imo.

And of course the commentator would point that out. People have been using the GC controllers for two freaking smash games already. It would be weird for long time Smash vets to use different controllers.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I have never played smash more than casually... so my opinion is far from the best one to read...

But here it is anyway.

I spent most of my time in Brawl with the Wii Remote and Nunchuck... mainly so I could sit back on the comfortable couch and not worry about wires.

After switching back in an effort to learn competitive tactics, I have found smash attacks, low jumps, are a lot easier to pull off. It's a lot easier to create a set up that I like than it was with the Wii U Nunchuck.

I don't think it is impossible though... If someone could get used to that set up they might be able to do it as well as the GC controller.

I am going to miss the comfortable couch...

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Even as one who started in Melee, Gamepad is my controller of choice. I mostly used the Wiimote and nunchuk back in Brawl (I was a MASSIVE casual back then), and it's really no good whatsoever for any level of play beyond "****ing around with friends." I got used to the Gamepad rather quickly, so by the time I got a Mayflash adapater (lol), it was impossible to get used to the button layout of the GC controller. Really, the Gamepad and Classic/Pro Controller all have a C-stick, too, so it's not like the almighty GC controller is literally your only option for higher level play.
EDIT: I just noticed how OP stealthily left the word "troll" out of "controller" in the title...

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
LMAOOO XD There IS a ZL button. Its basically got the same placement as the bloody GP and Pro controllers :facepalm:

Seriously where have you been hearing this?

No one has ever said that you HAVE TO use the GC controller only >_> Only idiots say that >_>

And I'll be honest, I'm not even a Melee veteran, and its the 2nd best controller imo.

And of course the commentator would point that out. People have been using the GC controllers for two freaking smash games already. It would be weird for long time Smash vets to use different controllers.
It's usually a rule that wireless controllers aren't allowed.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
"Usually"

The only reason people are using wireless controllers at Smash 4 tournaments (and why APEX hasn't banned Wiimote, CC,CCP and the Pro controller) is because of how rare the GC controller adapters are.
With the recent announcement of the Mayflash adapter that shouldn't be the case for too long. It's upsetting but whatever.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
It's usually a rule that wireless controllers aren't allowed.
Don't know what tourneys you attend, but wireless controllers aren't insta-banned in favor for gcn. Otherwise we wouldn't have top wii-mote/nunchuck players to begin with.

Inazuma

Smash Cadet
NNID
inazuma65
But but! Smash Wii U is actually Melee, so of course we have to use the Gamecube controller. It's obviously the best controller for Melee, and since Smash Wii U is Melee, it's still the best controller. What's that? Hori made a superior version of the Gamecube controller? That doesn't count, obviously! That controller doesn't exist and even if it did, it's not the original Gamecube controller, so it sucks no matter what.

And I don't care if the game has an official way to play online with balanced competitive rules. Throw all of that out of the window and let's pretend that it's Melee. So that means playing offline and limiting the game to a couple of stages with platforms.

Raijinken

Smash Master
You forgot the 3DS option.

Anyways, the Gamecube controller is wired, and thus will suffer from less input delay on average than any wireless choice. That alone makes it a preferable choice from an executional standpoint.

I've nothing against the Pro Controller or 3DS controls, or even the Mote+Chuck controls or Gamepad controls (though they've all got shortcomings I dislike), but my timing is poor enough without wireless resulting in additional random delays from 0-2 frames.

As someone raised on not-Playstation controllers, I scarcely use any secondary shoulder buttons, especially not on the left side of the controller. For that matter, on the Gamecube, I rarely use L at all unless it has unique functions not shared by R (thus, I barely use it in Smash). Having three functional buttons in a line is easier to use for most things than the odd diamond shape (take fighting games for instance, though obviously the fight pad thing is better for those). And so on. I prefer the Gamecube controller for any game that uses a controller, except shooters and RTS. And both of those genres really don't belong on anything not compatible with a keyboard and mouse.

Last edited:

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
This poll has wiimote and wiimote + nunchuck, but no 3ds option?

I give this poll a 7.8/10. Too much wiimotes.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I've been playing Smash since launch day for 64, so I've had more than enough opportunity to log hundreds of hours on a GC controller. Before the GC Adapter was announced, I was unsure about how well the WiiU Pro controller could actually work. It was admittedly hard to imagine anything but the GC controller. Once Smash4 was released on 3DS, I found that I got used to using the new layout pretty quickly, and by the time it was released on the WiiU, I only had to adjust a little bit to get totally used to the new layout. The diamond buttons are a straight improvement, giving you the option to go directly between attack, special, jump, and grab at any time. The shoulders are also better since the analog input of the GC shoulder buttons is not used, not to mention there's one extra which you could assign to jump or grab. I'm also a big fan of wireless (there is less than one frame of lag, so it never affects a game). It's also nice to no longer have people asking to borrow/abuse your controller.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
How about you respect everyone else opinion on what controller they like to use, If you like the pro controller or any other controller good for you. Don't go bashing people over what controller they like more.

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
For the people that don't use a gc controller. Why do you prefer your controller over the gc controller?
Pro controller. I like the feel of the buttons and the layout is more comfortable to me. People say that the Gamecube Controller has a more comfortable C-stick placement but I prefer the Pro Controller. \_(^-^)_/

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
I've started Smash within the N64 era and I will say that my favorite controller choice between all the Smash games is the Pro. Currently, I am using the Pro Controller due to it being wireless and functioning with a multitude of games, as compared to the Gamecube. I personally feel that the Gamecube controller is the best due to the fact that it indeed has the octagonal-carved area that houses the left-analog stick. This enables one to be more accurate with their movements and attacks. The left-analog stick also has better grip that the Pro Controller's. Negative feelings towards the GameCube controller would be the light-press function on the R/L buttons (but this can be easily remedied by removing said springs) and how the controller is so small. As for the Pro... I feel that it is perfectly viable for almost anyone to play. It is very responsive, wireless, approximately 80 hours of battery life with the ability to charge it on using many different methods, and the button layout is identical to the 3DS which many feel were quite good. The C-Stick placement is actually better than the Gamecube's in my opinion. Initially, I thought it was an awful way of placing the C-Stick but it seems to be fine for the most part as of now. At first, you may find yourself touching it by accident but that shortly stops after awhile. The C-Stick placement requires a bit less hand gymnastics as compared to the GameCube controller's layout. Like I said earlier, my complaints on the Pro controller are the lack of semi-circular grips on the analog and the lack of octagonal carving that in which stunts your movement and accurate inputs, but that seldom happens and isn't that big of a deal when you get used to the analog placement. I personally have not held or used one before, but the HORI Fight Pad may be the best of both worlds. It's semi-wireless, apparently little input-latency, has the octagonal carving, multi-circular grip, original placement of buttons from the GameCube, has an extra shoulder button, digital press shoulder buttons, decent aesthetically, and the price is quite fair for these, assuming you buy them from retail rather than re-sellers.

As for the other controller options....

The GamePad is fine for what it is. The battery life is awful the the weight may bring you down a bit, unless you get used to it, which in my case, I did prior to converting into the Pro controller. It is also very wide, but easy to get used to.

I used the Wii Mote + Nunchuk pair for a long while and it isn't as bad as what many may it to be. Sure, there is no C-Stick and has a bit input-latency, but really, it isn't as bad as some other controller options. Personally, if I had to choose, I would stay away from this as other controller options seem to be significantly better. Having to hold two controllers that are wired together isn't very ergonomic since having a set hand placement is always best.

The Classic is actually quite good. I've seen people pull off great things with it, but I'd say it is not as good as the Pro or Gamecube. I have used one before and it handles itself find. I am not a fan of the shape but for those who are, then it should be an okay controller. Have seen someone in the competitive scene use this.

The Wii Mote is just awful. The D-Pad hurts my fingers and characters feel very stiff when using it. Also, using the trigger as an option isn't very ergonomic. I do not recommend this controller to anyone unless they've already used and have adapted to it. If you use this, you will likely lose to others who have better controller options. Sorry for those of you who read this and are "good" at Smash or actually prefer using this. I really can't see Smash being that playable with the Wii Mote. Sure, platformers are great with a D-Pad and few buttons, but Smash takes better movement options since platformers are so linear.

Tl;DR HORI Fight Pad seems to be the way to go. I personally do not have one currently but will eventually get one so I can play PM on my Wii U without having to use the Classic or Nunchuk pair.

Also, it breaks my heart that no one has mentioned the DK Kongo drums... You can certainly play Smash with it. I've used it when I played Melee for the jokes. xD... It isn't viable at all but it's very fun. I think the sensor picks up your claps as Smash attacks? Forgot since it has been too long.

But all in all, one should never discriminate another controller option since it all ultimately depends on the user than the controller itself, I can't say this is the most true to the Nunchuk and Kongo drums, but the majority use the other controllers.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
*Shrug*. The GC controller is fine. I have played Melee more than all other versions of Smash combined at this point, so I'm quite used to it. That said, when I got the WIi U version, I ended up selling my GC adaptor on eBay and switching to the Pro controller. It took a while to get used to the different c-stick placement but once I did it worked fine. I still use it now even after I got a new GC adaptor.

The classic controller IMO is clearly inferior to the GC and Pro. It is too thin and thus not nearly as ergonomic. It also just feels awkward being tethered to the Wiimote. I have zero desire to use one of those when I have two better options.

Victor Marczyk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Duskblack
3DS FC
1950-8264-0245
When I played Smash for the first time, I was only limited to a wii + nunchuk. But later in life my friends made me feel obligated to use the GC controller and I'm never going back to anything but a GCC. Isn't it just the most comfortable way to play?

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I don't know anyone playing at a high level who actually discriminates what controller you use. I don't see why it really matters... unless like... you're an idiot...

I'm pretty sure any discrimination is usually just for joking purposes

Victor Marczyk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Duskblack
3DS FC
1950-8264-0245
Personally, I don't know anyone playing at a high level who actually discriminates what controller you use. I don't see why it really matters... unless like... you're an idiot...

I'm pretty sure any discrimination is usually just for joking purposes
I mean yeah, it just happens that GCC users will joke around with others for using a wiimote, but never anything hurtful. I've had my share of good laughs at some wiimote users :GCA::GCB::GCX::GCY:

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
When I played Smash for the first time, I was only limited to a wii + nunchuk. But later in life my friends made me feel obligated to use the GC controller and I'm never going back to anything but a GCC. Isn't it just the most comfortable way to play?
Compared to wiimote+nunchuck? Absolutely. The wiimote+nunchuck combo is terrible for Smash IMO. The GCC and Pro controllers are about even though.

Drig786

Smash Journeyman
NNID
i-DRIG-i
Has anybody ever tried the classic controller pro? i may have to rely on that for awhile until i get the GCC adapter

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
Gamecube controller is wired, that's the reason for it being the best option competitively right there.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Has anybody ever tried the classic controller pro? i may have to rely on that for awhile until i get the GCC adapter
If you like 3DS controls I don't see why you wouldn't like the classic controller pro. I'll use it if none of my friends brought their GC controllers and it works perfectly fine (I do change my button layout though). In fact, the stick has a shorter range than the GC controller IMO, thus making perfect pivoting a little more easier.

Last edited:

Doruge

Smash Journeyman
I used the Wii Mote + Nunchuk pair for a long while and it isn't as bad as what many may it to be. Sure, there is no C-Stick and has a bit input-latency, but really, it isn't as bad as some other controller options. Personally, if I had to choose, I would stay away from this as other controller options seem to be significantly better. Having to hold two controllers that are wired together isn't very ergonomic since having a set hand placement is always best.
You must not have used it for that long if you never realized that the dpad functions as a c-stick...

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
The classic controller IMO is clearly inferior to the GC and Pro. It is too thin and thus not nearly as ergonomic. It also just feels awkward being tethered to the Wiimote. I have zero desire to use one of those when I have two better options.
I happen to like the CC...

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
But but! Smash Wii U is actually Melee, so of course we have to use the Gamecube controller. It's obviously the best controller for Melee, and since Smash Wii U is Melee, it's still the best controller. What's that? Hori made a superior version of the Gamecube controller? That doesn't count, obviously! That controller doesn't exist and even if it did, it's not the original Gamecube controller, so it sucks no matter what.

And I don't care if the game has an official way to play online with balanced competitive rules. Throw all of that out of the window and let's pretend that it's Melee. So that means playing offline and limiting the game to a couple of stages with platforms.
The Hori better than the GCC? Oh please.

The Hori's buttons aren't smooth, you have to press down, no tapping it, no smooth. It feels like it will break in my hands when I play, the L and R took so long to get used to, it would always go the opposite direction if you flick it one way (a forever not broken in controller), and it isn't as good.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
Recently, I've been seeing a lot of discrimination against CC,GP,PC,Wiimote, and nun chuck players. This has to stop! Look, the classic controller is no different than the gamecube controller, but with the ZL button. I understand people who started with Melee, aka "veterans" are used to it, but in my opinion it's a rubbish controller, personally the 3rd worst controller.There is no ZL button to grab, which takes Gampepad,Pro controller, and CC players ages to get used to. Next, Y and X are in different places, but that's kinda NBD. No offense, but I think the GCC is overrated. No offense. Thoughts? (An example is i a video where Junebug plays a Luigi as Lucario, the commentator says, "He's not even using a gamecube controller.!":4lucario::4luigi::GCA::GCB::GCX::GCY::GCLT::GCRT::GCZ::GCDpad::GCStart::GCN::GCU::GCUR::GCR::GCDR::GCD::GCDL::GCL::GCUL::GCCN::GCCU::GCCUR::GCCR::GCCDR::GCCD::GCCDL::GCCL::GCCUL:
Is there no regulation on smash boards for trolls? This is getting annoying.

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
You must not have used it for that long if you never realized that the dpad functions as a c-stick...
Well, I used it more for grabbing than anything. Never knew it was a C-Stick. When I press down on the D-Pad, it registers as a grab, so I assume I would have to go into controller options and change the D-Pad function into C-Stick?

Starman15

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RobotTurtle5000
3DS FC
3136-7638-2428
Switch FC
SW-2901-3121-3539
I've been using the Pro Controller, mostly because I've had to considering I can't get my hands on an adapter, and I've really warmed up to it. Is it better than a Gamecube controller? Probably not, but it's a good alternative, so is the Classic Controller. I've got a cousin who claims that he probably wouldn't even be able to use a Gamecube controller after using the Classic Controller for so long.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Maybe with your social group you been with, but I don't hear a lot of GC controller users being jerks to non-GC controller users. Only thing I heard is that wired connection is more stable for input than wireless connection. Aside from that, its mostly legal to play with wireless controllers.

Doruge

Smash Journeyman
Well, I used it more for grabbing than anything. Never knew it was a C-Stick. When I press down on the D-Pad, it registers as a grab, so I assume I would have to go into controller options and change the D-Pad function into C-Stick?
Yeah. The default controls are terrible. 1 or 2 is for grabs.

D

Deleted member

The single best thing about the GC controller is arguably the A,B,X,Y button layout. But even apart from that, the feel of the controller is rather comfortable.

People use what they're most comfortable with, and vice versa. I had to force myself to learn how to use the Gamepad, and it's not that bad once you get the hang of it (though I don't use the default button arrangement).

I got the HORI battlepad which is basically a GC controller plugged into the Wiimote like a Classic Controller, and it works beautifully. It even has four shoulder buttons for all those complainers, though none are pressure sensitive. Otherwise, it feels exactly like a GC controller. Very good buy.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Needs an option for 3ds. GCC is definitely not necessary to play this game "optimally." I'm perfectly fine playing on 3ds, gamepad, GCC and easily go toe to toe with my crewmates playing on the 3ds and randoms online with the gamepad. The idea behind GCC is from Melee and Brawl usage and that wired controllers are known not to have any input delayed compared to its wireless counterparts. Play whatever controller you want to play because that is obviously what you're most comfortable with; no one should really care what controller you play, and if they make a big deal out of it, then they're probably scrubs.

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
Its wired and its a pretty great controller not my favorite but its feels made for smash. There isnt any discrimination, I honestly tried the Wii U pro and I love it but Gamecube one still shines imo.

Everyone has their own opinion and I say for Smash in general, Gamecube is the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom