• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You dash towards an opponent and expect a spotdodge.

Watchful_Eye

Smash Apprentice
What is usually most practical option to use? I can think about Pivots and running Up-Smashes.

Pivot Grabs/Tilts are quite tough to time consistently, since the spotdodge has to be over already (to me, at least), and Up-Smashes can be very hurtful if my bait is wrong. What is the most practical thing to do, besides character-dependent stuff?

(My question might sound stupid, but right now I try to reflect my game at the basic aspects.)

Still~Wolf

Embwace Twanquility
If you're expecting the opponent to dodge, there's a few options. Based off your profile, I'm assuming you're a Shulk, Mario, and Kirby main. Can't give you much advice on Kirby or Mario, but I can give you some Shulk pointers, possibly. I'm no pro.

If you baited correctly and are currently using the Smash art, I recommend using his f smash, as it will most likely KO him if he's at a high percent. This would work with Buster as well, if he's at a lower percentage. A more unsafe option would be backslash, but I don't think the opponent would expect you to throw that out, so you may get away with it.

Now, if you're not talking about a spot dodge and just a roll, backslash and f smash are also good options, depending on your spacing from him.

Generally, for spot dodges, the Up-smash is a good option I think. A grab is also a good option, if you use it at the right time. Sorry if I wasn't much help, but I'm not overly experienced with all characters :c

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Well, the most practical option is to do something that is easier to hit your opponent with like a move with a lot of active frames so you don't miss the opportunity. You can also factor move safety into account in case you miss and don't wanna eat it.

The correct question to ask yourself is what is the smartest/optimal thing to do. This is situational.
  • Opponent in KO range? Use a KO move.
  • Opponent at low %? Use a move/grab that will give you an offensive advantage like combo moves
  • Want your opponent offstage? Get them off stage.
  • You are at very high %? Well... do something safe unless you want to risk it which is okay too.
It's pretty trivial when you think about it, but incorporating it into your game can be challenging. Good luck.

Last edited:

Watchful_Eye

Smash Apprentice
Thank you for your answer. The point is that I assume that I dash towards him. So it has to be a Pivot smash, right? I realized that many opponents straight go for a spotdodge when I go for a dash attack or a dash grab, and that I do not punish that as consistently as I want to.

Last edited:

Watchful_Eye

Smash Apprentice
Well, you cannot Fsmash while dashing.. and I thought it might be too slow and punishable to stop the dashing movement before you attack, since the character does not stop immediately and on point (especially not speed shulk). But maybe it is indeed that simple and I am wrong.

Last edited:

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
Don't underestimate the power of doing nothing ;)

Seriously though, Dash up to them as if you were going to Dash attack or Dash grab, then do nothing. They'll spot dodge, giving you an opportunity to punish.

Just don't make this be your go-to strategy xD

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Well, you cannot Fsmash while dashing.. and I thought it might be too slow and punishable to stop the dashing movement before you attack, since the character does not stop immediately and on point (especially not speed shulk). But maybe it is indeed that simple and I am wrong.
Ypu can Fsmash while dashing the otherway though.
Fsmash backwards. :)

Watchful_Eye

Smash Apprentice
Yeah phazon, I know. It is called a pivot smash attack.

So you can say it is usually best to stop with slow chars (kirby) and to pivot with faster ones (speed shulk)? With some variation maybe..

Last edited:

Spiralviper

Smash Cadet
NNID
SpiralViper
While I think it's a terrible idea to run up and F-Smash, you could Fox-trot up to them and do a Dash-Cancelled F-Smash.

It would be a much better idea to do a Pivot-Grab, or Dash up to them and shield, wait for them to dodge, and grab them.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
It all depends on who you're using. Up smashes can be reliable, but any other attacks with plenty of frames can be useful too just to make sure you get some hits in as punishment. Pivot grabbing is great too and maybe one of the best choices at low percentages because then you have a chance of getting some kind of combo in.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
With Mario, a Short-hop D-air (Mario tornado) has multiple hitboxes or empty short-hop -> fast-fall -> F-smash will cover the spotdodge, depending on when your opponent starts the spotdodge (ie, how far away you are while dashing at them).

Last edited:

Gaylude

Smash Rookie
Kirby - shorthop to FAir, Neut, DAir or SideB. Semi-radial attacks that last a while
Mario - shorthop to Neut, DAir drop from above (Pretty much solid in either case) or quick fireball to initiate their shield/spot dodge, then follow up with an aerial.
Shulk - shorthop to Neut, Backslash, or counter if you're fighting an offensive player.

Alternatively you could just stop right before if you know they're going to spot dodge then grab after they spot dodge.

Last edited:

Muddyk

Smash Cadet
NNID
theflyingmud
3DS FC
4656-7708-6477
sometimes i dash in, shield and use jabs since kirby's especially is good for punishing spot dodges though this isn't practical unless you can react if your jab gets shielded.

Top Bottom