• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You can play on dlc stages that you don't own if a friend owns it online

TheLetsPlayGhost

Smash Rookie
My friend and I have just messed around with the new dlc. I own dreamland, and he doesn't as of now. I picked dreamland to see if he could play on it despite not owning the stage, and the stage was chosen when the battle started. This means if your friend owns dlc stages, you can play on them, even if you haven't bought the stage yourself.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
It was apparent that you don't have to own dlc for it to appear online when mewtwo first dropped.

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
It's a bit of common sense if you look at it. If you buy Mewtwo for Sm4sh and attempt to play him online, what would happen if you played against someone who doesn't own Mewtwo? My first instinct would be that the game would crash and most probably will. But that's besides the point. Same goes with stages, if someone bought dreamland and you were paired to play with them, how will you play if you didn't have the data in your game to load Dreamland?

The game updates have the actual files for the DLC. The DLC you buy is actually just a key file which makes it so that you can access the DLC.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Thank you, this is useful advice, just saved my brother a few dollars.

tr3v

Smash Cadet
NNID
TR3V07
3DS FC
4871-5923-4364
Glad that their doing this with stages, too. It was apparent that this would also be the case with the characters, but this is a big plus. Nintendo could have easily done otherwise to grab a few extra bucks.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
This is something that couldn't be done in Mario Kart 8, since if you didn't download any of the DLC packs, you can't race on any of the DLC tracks, nor could you join any groups that included them.

Top Bottom