• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi's Special Attack Moveset

SoraDreamer

Smash Cadet
Im trying to use Yoshi but I have some problem with his move set. Can you help me to understand the special attacks of Yoshi? I know Egg Roll and Yoshi Bomb are good moves but I never really understood Egg Lay and Egg Throw.

When an ennemy is in an egg from Egg Lay, he receives the half of the damage and get no knockback. So this is not a real good moment for a Smash Attack to kill him. He also can get out of the egg really easily after some second, even at high percentage. So no way to succeed to throw him out of the stage down enough to kill him. How can it be a reliable move? Probably it could be, and surely I doesn't use it as a real Yoshi's player does, so can someone explain me how it can be useful?

And for Egg Throw, this is difficult to aim correctly and eggs don't make a lot of damage and have low knockback. They can hardly kill an opponent. At least, I think. But again, I think I am not using the attack correctly.

I really need someone to explain these two attack. And if someone has other advices to help me to play well this little green dinosaur, I will be very happy.

Thank you!

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Egg lay is a great move.

It's a command/air grab and can't be shielded like projectiles or actual moves. You can B-reverse to change your momentum in the air and while you mentioned it already and don't think it's good, Egg lay at higher % keeps them in the egg longer.
Which is good on and offstage for obvious reasons, Onstage means more time to tack on damage even if they're at 100%, most characters in Smash 4 don't die till 115% minimum anyways, while offstage depending on weight of character (or spacies) they fall like a rock and can die while in the egg still or characters with bad recoveries ala Little Mac.

Egg throw was never used for a kill move, it's a way to maneuver around in the air and tack on early % without having to stale your moves or even having to go in with the risk of either getting hit or trading. Having a projectile is always good, never a negative. Egg throw in Smash4 is in different arcs when throwing them but they really aren't hard to aim to be quite fair.

SoraDreamer

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah Thank you I didn't know at all about B-Reverse. In fact, I didn't know what is a B-Reverse..... . But the real problem with Egg Lay is that when a fighter is eggeg (Can I say this? :p ), he has the entire horizontally control of where he'll fall so it is so difficult to make him fall off stage. But even at high %, you just have to tilt Left-Right to get out of quicky. And when someone is in the egg, you can't really smash him or prepare an attack because he doesn't receive any knockback. And what are exactly the difference between the onstage and offstage use?

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Onstage egglay is basically tacking on what % you can while in the egg then trying to read them on what they'd do once they pop out of the egg, which most people do by using Dair or Bair to hit them when they come out. You try to kill the person when they pop out, not when they're in it.

Again offstage is just using it to get a gimp off maybe if they're past 100% cause doesn't matter if they have control of it, if you're offstage they'll most likely still be offstage even with the minor control they have in the egg. Unless they're someone like jiggly or something I doubt they'll have that much movement.

SoraDreamer

Smash Cadet
Ooh, you're right, I didn't think about attacking him when he pops out instead of when he is inside. It's a great idea it's true. I will surely try to do this next time I'll practice with him. But for Offstage the problem is to come back onstage. As you know Yoshi doesn't have a real recovery, just an extended double jump so there is a lot of chance that he dies too if he tries to swallow and ennemy offstage. And the end frames too are a problem offstage. You have to come back quickly if you don't want to die too.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Whether falling from say Topleft/right of the blast zone after getting hit and egglaying or just from the ledge DJ Egglay, you can still recover cause animation to turn them into an egg really isn't that long and if you get a bit under the ledge you have egg toss still to help you recover.

SoraDreamer

Smash Cadet
I see... I think I really have to practice this move. So it is more useful et egglay an ennemie in the blast zone left/right than down of the screen right? And if you have any other tips to give me it will really help me thank you. I see you've been playing Yoshi, since SSB64 so...

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Well I mean, most people have played Smash since the early days, but I started competitive melee back in like 04 or 05 but quit real fast and just waited to join competitive scene till brawl.

Also no I mean, just being near the ledge is a good try to egglay or anywhere in the air, as long as you're above the stage not under it. Though sometimes it's good to go a little under the stage for egglay attempts, you'll of course have your DJ and eggtosses still anyways.

Or if still don't understand, random combo video of a Yoshi that used egglay a bunch. In Brawl tho, so don't take it to heart for Smash 4 too much since we don't have Double Jump Cancel anymore.

Last edited:

SoraDreamer

Smash Cadet
I think I understand but the only fear I have is that, when you are offstage and trying to egglay someone, you just can't go back on the stage because you already use you double jump and die. And the EggThrow jump is not so much high. But if I practice a lot, I'll be much better. For now I am just playing against CPU because of the lags in the Wi-fi Battles, but i'm practising my Meteor Smash now. Yoshi is a new fighter for me but I like him. And from wich side we have to egglay? Left or right? To the stage or to the blast zone? Because if I'm trying to be in the good place, I could use incidentally me double jump and die me too. Unless my Eggthrow bring me on the stage but it could be difficult.

But my real problem with Egg Lay still on stage. I just can't anticipate where the fighter will pop out of the egg. I'm trying to attack next wih an aerial or a smash but he's never where I tought I'll be.

Last edited:

SoraDreamer

Smash Cadet
And can you help me the use correctly his Final Smash? I did it some times but I can't do it as effective as possible. I think I never killed someone with it. Do you have some advices to use it?

Top Bottom