• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi's "Marth Killer"

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
This is something I've been wondering for a while. How do you perform the "Marth Killer" as Yoshi? You can see aMSa do it against PewPewU here, so it's definitely possible. Do you have to hold down the L/R button about halfway to get a less slippery lightshield?

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Did some testing, it's easier than I thought.

All you need is shield DI (automatic shield DI is enough) and a shield strength of anywhere from halfway-full. Very light shielding will make you slide too far for the shield DI to pull you off the ledge. Full shielding seems to be the easiest and most effective, and the powershielding glitch will not prevent the technique from working. Fastfalling doesn't seem to be necessary.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
I see other characters face away from the ledge and hold towards the direction they're facing. Does this work the same way for Yoshi?

Sashimi

Smash Ace
I'm not 100% sure how it works for other characters, but Yoshi wants to face away from the ledge and hold towards the ledge.

Peanutphobia

Smash Rookie
I'm almost positive most characters face toward the stage and hold toward the ledge too. Alternatively, in situations where you're at the ledge but can't quite turn around in time, you can still shield DI towards the ledge and do a quick move (sheik fair for example) as soon as you fall off to kill marth. I've never tried this technique with yoshi but i bet a nair would be quick enough to beat most of marth's up-b heights, if not all of them. Might be worth investigating!

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
That would explain it, then; I've always been holding towards the stage! Thanks a lot for the help!

kofinater

Smash Apprentice
you can full light shield, you just need to shield DI towards the ledge. The only problem with yoshi's marth killers is that you don't get the jump oos mix up, which is what a lot of fox/falco's use to beat going high.

Peanutphobia

Smash Rookie
So I got to do a little bit of testing with yoshi's marth killer today.

Good news: the nair edgeguard I mentioned is possible with most of marth's up-b recovery heights:
youtube. com/watch?v=GOxptKuunu4

Bad news: marth can sweetspot the edge under yoshi's egg (unless i'm doing something wrong in the video):
youtube. com/watch?v=p6YLhYeB_1Q

Sorry for these broken links; apparently you need to have 10 SB posts in order to post a link =[ maybe someone can re-post them for convenience.

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
So I got to do a little bit of testing with yoshi's marth killer today.

Good news: the nair edgeguard I mentioned is possible with most of marth's up-b recovery heights:
youtube.com/watch?v=GOxptKuunu4

Bad news: marth can sweetspot the edge under yoshi's egg (unless i'm doing something wrong in the video):
youtube.com/watch?v=p6YLhYeB_1Q

Sorry for these broken links; apparently you need to have 10 SB posts in order to post a link =[ maybe someone can re-post them for convenience.
Hey glad to see you on the boards. I've been watching your matches on youtube.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOxptKuunu4
www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6YLhYeB_1Q

MrHazuki

Smash Ace
Marth being able sweetspot below Yoshi's shield really sucks. It's still good to know that it works if they don't.

Noyu

Smash Cadet
Why on earth didn't aMSa do a running ledge-grabbing egg throw, I've seen him do it numerous times on marth and I believe it's the best option. If you get the hit, they fall lower and die. If you miss you're holding the ledge and they probably won't go for the sweet spot so you can just hit them when they get on-stage lag. I should ask though. Why not just do the egg throw straight up while grabbing the ledge when marth may likely up b, then if he sweet spots he's dead because you just grabbed the ledge and if he goes high the egg will hit him opening you for a nair. You could get hit in this if you mistime it, but I feel is more technique-based rather than gimmicky. I hate when people say gimmicky to describe yoshi, but this "Marth-killer" tech relies solely on the opponents lack of knowledge on the yoshi MU, because as you guys said if he sweet spots, he's safe.

Top Bottom