• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi's Ledge Grabbing Options

Rusty_Shackleford

Smash Rookie
I thought it was cool how many different unique options Yoshi had for this, so I made a video demonstrating the ones I'm familiar with. Most (all?) of these have been discussed on this board but now they're in convenient video form. Did I miss any?

Last edited:

TensenROB

Smash Apprentice
I found this today and it's sort of related. It's possible to instantly grab the ledge while still rising from your double jump by using down-b at a sweetspot on the ledge. The video has no examples of it but you can still do it when your double jump is facing away from the ledge. I end up getting several of them in a row by dj'ing into the ledge so it looks like it may be the slope somehow interrupting the down-b animation. If that's the case then it's a type of ledge cancelling.

Last edited:

TensenROB

Smash Apprentice
Not Yoshi specific but uncommon and pretty funny: hold A and move at any non-running speed, then move the c-stick in the opposite direction's upper diagonal repeatedly. You'll keep walking but turn around while you walk as if you're spinning. You can walk off the edge while turning around and grab it very quickly.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
If you walk backwards in your crawl animation, you can just crawl towards the edge infinitely and not fall off, but the moment you let go of the stick, he'll grab the ledge. Also not Yoshi specific, but it's there.

KariteSama

Smash Apprentice
so do we not have the egg throw ledge grabs from melee? ive been curious about this for a while

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
are you referring to the 3rd thing he did in the video in the OP? Cuz it's right there, he grabbed the ledge out of egg throw. You should be able to do any and all egg throw tricks that you could do in Melee. I certainly can't see any differences, it's kind of the whole reason he doesn't do the Brawl hop from egg toss.

KariteSama

Smash Apprentice
Gotcha. I didn't see the egg actually come out. I guess he just did it a little differently.

Pickledpotatoes

Smash Journeyman
I believe that if you use egg-roll and your egg breaks when you hit the ledge, when you're high enough, you'll be able to grab on afterwards. That probably isn't that useful unless you'd barely miss the ledge if you didn't pop the egg-roll, and even then it seems tricky to do.

Last edited:

The Eggs

Smash Rookie
Is it just me or is it significantly harder to grab the edge using down+b than it was in Melee? I notice this particularly when I'm coming back from offstage. I could post videos if people don't believe me - I've had times where the character model is actually clipping through the stage (and Yoshi is of course facing it) and he doesn't grab.

Last edited:

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
Is it just me or is it significantly harder to grab the edge using down+b than it was in Melee? I notice this particularly when I'm coming back from offstage. I could post videos if people don't believe me - I've had times where the character model is actually clipping through the stage (and Yoshi is of course facing it) and he doesn't grab.
I haven't had any issues so far with the downB ledge grab. I've even had it where I thought I would've missed and I still grab it.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
Hm, okay. Looks like it's just me then. :p
Sometimes stuff like that just happens. I've had times where I randomly turn around for the downB or I accidently DJC on ledge and fast fall dair for a SD.

Top Bottom