• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi's Disco(rd) Dance Floor

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Hey Delta-cod Delta-cod do you mind adding the Smashcords link (http://smashcords.com/s4yoshi) to the top post?
It's bigger and more active than the one linked here, and I think this thread is the reason lots of people end up at an inactive server and miss out (if you search up "yoshi discord" on Google, the first result that comes up is this thread which redirects here).
You don't have to remove the current one, I just want the Smashcords link to be out there.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Given my recent analysis and stated stance on Discord/alternative systems outside of Smashboards (see below), I am going to put my money where my mouth is and decline updating this thread. I don't see anyone redirecting traffic here, which I still think is a wonderful place/format for discussion of the game, archival of information, and more (despite its lack of activity which, hey, maybe Discord is the cause of).

While these services are not against The Rules, I am taking a personal stand to try to change how the Yoshi boards work (I'm not under any obligation to promote these, after all). Maybe it won't happen for Smash 4, but perhaps the groundwork can be set for a healthy Switch Yoshi boards, even if I'm not the one in charge there.

Since these things are NOT against the rules I am not deleting anything nor suppressing posts, I am simply not going to promote them. If you have strong concerns about this or wish to discuss this matter with me further, I am fine with conversation, but I will need to be persuaded to promote external services at this point.

If you want to keep the boards alive, you can't take any activity away from here. If you want to have a lab team that studies stuff, you can't advertise it as a separate place to be and have people apply to be there, or just accept everyone. You need to select the team, approach them privately, and get them involved that way.

Yoshi Discords, Facebook groups, Skype groups (do people even still use this?), subreddits, etc can't be advertised or used as alternate forms of communication with the people here. Those places tend to just sap activity and nothing that is said or contributed elsewhere is ever shared back here.

People need to feel like they are recognized and incentivized to contribute well here. This means anyone who makes good contributions needs to be appreciated (particularly those who do not compete and place well), and they need to know that their presence here is noticed and that it matters. People who post in the video thread need to get responses -- a critique squad must exist. In this sense, we need to actually hold ourselves to a high standard of participation. This doesn't mean neglecting or ignoring people who post poorly -- we need to actually try to help them improve. Asking people who post one-liners in poor spelling and grammar follow-up questions and refusing to capitulate to people who respond to well thought-out arguments with nothing more than a sentence are basically a necessity.

The difficulty in all this is that posting poorly in character boards is not really against the rules. But if we allow the boards to become a place of minimal thought and contribution, they have no value, and there is no reason for people to actually come here.

TL;DR
  • Can't advertise/use alternate channels of communication publicly (I'm sure we have ways of contacting each other privately/off the boards already, but we can't continue to expand them to all newcomers).
  • Hold everyone on the boards to a high standard of contribution
    • Recognize great contributors ( Pixel_ Pixel_ would be an example off the top of my head)
    • Cultivate newbies into better posters by forcing them to actually explain themselves (one liners are garbooooo)
    • Spelling/Grammar actually do matter
    • Tone actually matters
  • Make people feel like their presence here is worthwhile and that they matter
    • Respond to questions in the Q&A thread quickly.
    • Actually critique people's videos
      • This means forming a dedicated critique team.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Ah, it’s alright. Someone already convinced me otherwise before you posted this and I appreciate your stance.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
To be honest, something that bothers me about the Yoshi Discord is that it seems to be too hierarchical in terms of who should be heard or not when talking about Yoshi's metagame. If you're not Raptor, Wall, or someone who's known for labbing, no one really cares about what you have to say. There were countless times were i had something to say but i simply felt like i was talking to a wall because it looked like no one really cared for what I said.
I really feel like unless i somehow decide to leave my country in order to attend stuff in the US, i'll just continue being a nobody on that chat. Eventually, i simply decided to not contribute anymore.

I recently started doing some videos where i say stuff about Yoshi such as answering questions and stuff for people in my country's scene and even considered the possibility of translating it, but i don't really want to do all that work just to be ignored again.

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
To be honest, something that bothers me about the Yoshi Discord is that it seems to be too hierarchical in terms of who should be heard or not when talking about Yoshi's metagame. If you're not Raptor, Wall, or someone who's known for labbing, no one really cares about what you have to say. There were countless times were i had something to say but i simply felt like i was talking to a wall because it looked like no one really cared for what I said.
I really feel like unless i somehow decide to leave my country in order to attend stuff in the US, i'll just continue being a nobody on that chat. Eventually, i simply decided to not contribute anymore.

I recently started doing some videos where i say stuff about Yoshi such as answering questions and stuff for people in my country's scene and even considered the possibility of translating it, but i don't really want to do all that work just to be ignored again.
Similar complaints have been levied against Smashboards, something I hope to change, at least in the Yoshi community. All I require is things to be well-written or thought out to be worth a read.

Top Bottom