• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi vs. Roll Spamming and smash only Falco

SlayerOfEvil

Smash Apprentice
Alright, there's a guy who I play against who uses Falco. It gets annoying after awhile because he constantly uses the side roll, then fsmashes, then SIDE ROLLS ENDLESSLY, then fsmashes again! His only mix up of attacks are jumping up and meteor smashing with a dair for edgeguarding. Seems easy to get past on paper, but oddly, its ANNOYING. I can't frikin beat this SOB! Advice please for Yoshi against Falco that plays like this?

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Hahahaha, trust me. I know EXACTLY how this feels, LOL.

I still get beat by this occasionally.

Your first step here is predicting the rolls and predicting their directions. It might seem patternless and random, but this sort of playstyle has its own rhyme and reason. Once you can predict rolls, you can act accordingly. Dealing with the forward smash can be tough because not many characters can just "beat it." You'll have to space yourself pretty well and even run away if you have to. If you're far enough away to space your own forward smash (doesn't sound like it, though), then try to get him in the lag of his own, but watch out. Falco's has longer reach then he lets on and it's quick to recover from as well. If you're super close (like, SUPER CLOSE) when he starts it, shield as hard as you can and as soon as you feel him hit you, let your shield down or shieldgrab. If you let your shield down early, you can retaliate with tilt spam. If you grab, throw to combo to KO.

Now, how to apply this. Here's the fun part (especially if they're rolling behind/around you). You stand there and face the direction in which they're going to roll. Preferably before they do it. Just to add that lil touch of "LOL i see wut u did there" to the game. You can choose to do nothing if you really want. That kinda drops the hint that roll spam might not be the other player's best option. You can also choose to exact your revenge through down smash (this also stops roll spam pretty quick), forward tilt, and charged forward smash. Of course, there are many other things you can do (like DJC neutral air to death combo), but these let the opponent know much quicker that you've caught onto the crux of his/her game.

I know it sounds silly, but for every roll the player spams, spam your own patience and foresight. Beat forward smash spam with intelligent (a.k.a. "justifiable" a.k.a. "just-as-bad") tilt/smash spam on the roll/smash lag.

Of course, the first time I encountered this after I started playing Yoshi seriously, I just picked Peach and...well...yeah. I used to lose my cool against this sort of stuff.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I usually recommend CC down smash, but Falco's forward smash breaks CC early.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Falco's forward smash is his most reliable smash, so I assume that's the one he is using?

Don't go airborne, don't even think about it. Keep a nice distance from him, always facing him. Then when he forward smashes, you shieldgrab him. Follow this with down throw. Then forward smash.

Rinse and repeat until he gets better at the game and you have to do something else. Downthrow to forward smash is the best smashing falco counter.

SlayerOfEvil

Smash Apprentice
Falco's forward smash is his most reliable smash, so I assume that's the one he is using?

Don't go airborne, don't even think about it. Keep a nice distance from him, always facing him. Then when he forward smashes, you shieldgrab him. Follow this with down throw. Then forward smash.

Rinse and repeat until he gets better at the game and you have to do something else. Downthrow to forward smash is the best smashing falco counter.
Yes, his forward smash. Yeah, his ONLY effin move he uses. Gah!

Hm...ok, i'll give that a shot, thanks everyone.

bigman40

Smash Master
Lol. sounds like the same person I play against. It would be nice to see a vid, but don't rush in stupidly to add damage to him. If he's going to roll then walk up to him and either wait for him to roll or block his fsmash. If you know the advanced techs, then the best way to counter his roll is WaveDashing backwards to a dsmash. Works almost everytime for me. Oh yeah, don't get angry. It makes you play even worse than before. You play your best when you're always having fun

okami473

Smash Apprentice
What I do is charge at them, then wavedash backwards so they end up rolling right in front of u and use a f-tilt to D-smash. You have to pressure them against the side of the stage so they only have one direction to roll. At least hes no playing as a fox that only knows how to double jump in the air and use upB

Top Bottom