• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

yoshi vs rob

Handead

Smash Rookie
My yoshi against my friends rob. I just got back into doing gamebattles and have been playing alot, some games i just get pummeled to the ground by a good wolf or zelda or toon link, but other then that it seems yoshi has a spot among the "better characters" when you bring yoshi out people really dont know what to expect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GqRSFP-iYI

not one of my best matches but oh well.

any pointers?

edit: ill have more videos in the near future.

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
I didn't see you dodge or shield that many times, even when your friend was clearly getting ready to attack. Also, I felt like you could have been more aggressive with your friend. Just a thought.

Handead

Smash Rookie
thank you, ive been trying something new recently with my strategy on yoshi im usually crazy aggresive but i get anxious and kill myself sometimes so ive toned it down a bit, im getting better at spot dodging and trying to read my opponents hopefully ill have some better vids up soon

SOVAman

Smash Hero
well to start the ROB isn't that great. also you need to edge guard and not use the yoshi bomb when you don't hit. if you do not hit then shield. and use the shield more.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
I would completely disagree there... you shouldn't be using the shield that much. In any situation where you want to shield, consider spotdodging instead, so that you don't have to deal with Yoshi's crappy out-of-shield game.
A few things... don't approach with fair so much. In fact, don't use it at all unless you're going for a spike... bair is almost always your best option on approach. Also, you have a bit of trouble coming down from the air, so consider downB onto the edge or airdodge landings rather than just dropping into his fsmash or downB onto the actual stage. And finally, use a few more tilts. Yoshi loves his combos and ROB loves to eat them, so try chaining some moves together rather than going in for powerful hit after powerful hit, Ike-style.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I would completely disagree there... you shouldn't be using the shield that much. In any situation where you want to shield, consider spotdodging instead, so that you don't have to deal with Yoshi's crappy out-of-shield game.
A few things... don't approach with fair so much. In fact, don't use it at all unless you're going for a spike... bair is almost always your best option on approach. Also, you have a bit of trouble coming down from the air, so consider downB onto the edge or airdodge landings rather than just dropping into his fsmash or downB onto the actual stage. And finally, use a few more tilts. Yoshi loves his combos and ROB loves to eat them, so try chaining some moves together rather than going in for powerful hit after powerful hit, Ike-style.
Agreed all.

Now try some videos without playing ROB. ROB is harder for Yoshi to show his true colours.

Handead

Smash Rookie
thanks for all the replies, i ended up playing almost all day today :p one question. Do the majority of yoshis play with tap jump on or off?

Chaco

Never Logs In
I'm one of the few who plays with Tap jump.

DarkLeviathan and I are the only ones who I know, they're are more, bt we're the only ones I know off that play it on always.

But it depends on the focal point of your game to decide which to use. I keep mine on for easy DR's. But can't do any ECE's with it on. It's an equalizer for Yoshi. It's a crutch that keeps him down. But then again it is possible to do both, it is just harder one way for each one.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
i play yoshi vs my brother's ROB too...usually a pretty good match

as for tips hard to say specifically, cept maybe watch out for his aerials

Jump_Man

Smash Apprentice
I'm one of the few who plays with Tap jump.

DarkLeviathan and I are the only ones who I know, they're are more, bt we're the only ones I know off that play it on always.
I have tap jump on for the DR. If you don't use the DR often, then just leave tap jump off.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Yes.
Personally I keep tap jump off so that you can spam eggs off the edge (not ECEs). However, I also keep L set as jump to keep the dash-canceled eggs.

Top Bottom