• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi vs Diddy Kong Matchup Thread

Who do you think this matchup favors?

• 65/35 One of Yoshi's best matchups

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 55/45 Slightly in favor of Yoshi

• 35/65 One of Yoshi's worst matchups

• Total voters

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
:diddy: Diddy Kong :diddy:
This thread is one part of a series of threads, each dedicated to a single matchup, covering all 41(+) matchups. These threads are going to be a collaboration, so PLEASE give me your thoughts and opinions. Post your videos here, even if you lose. Post your preferred stages, even if people think otherwise. Post your tips, even if you think you aren't the best player.
I. Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwmwZgdWMZ8 Calm v. Zubat

II. Overview:
Peanut Popper = Diddy's Neutral B/Projectile; Monkey Flip = Diddy's Side B; Rocketbarrel Boost = Diddy's Up B/Recovery; Banana Peel = Diddy's Down B

Diddy's Strengths:
  • Fast
  • Excellent item play
  • Very strong neutral game

Diddy's Weaknesses:
  • Light semi-fastfaller = easy to combo

Key Points:
  • If you slip on a banana, you can tech it (tech roll or tech in place)
  • Fullspeed Eggroll rolls over bananas (someone fact check this, but I'm pretty sure this is true)

III. Matchup Analysis:
Neutral Game:
  • Diddy can play both a campy style and a rushdown style; first understand what kind of Diddy you are playing against
    • A campy Diddy will typically have 2 bananas out on the stage at all times, and he uses his Peanut Popper a lot
    • A rushdown Diddy will typically only have 1 banana in his hand, and he'll approach with Side B attack and Dash attack a lot
  • Keep track of where the bananas are at all times
  • Eggroll is effective in this matchup; Diddy does not have the greatest options against it, especially out of shield

Comboing/Punishing Diddy:
  • Really easy to juggle; use a lot of Uptilts and DJC Upairs off of Eggroll or Downthrow/Upthrow

Escaping Diddy's Pressure:
  • If you get hit by Dash Attack while offstage, DI away to avoid the Downair spike
  • Diddy's Throws:
    • Downthrow: Sends you behind Diddy; DI behind Diddy to avoid followups
    • Upthrow: Killthrow at high %s, DI toward the corner of the blastzone to survive
    • Backthrow:
    • Forwardthrow:

Edgeguarding Diddy:
  • Diddy does not have that much freedom over the trajectory of his recovery after he decides the initial charge time and angle
    • Recognize based on the angle and how long he's been charging if he is recovering towards the ledge or to the stage
    • Be ready to instant edgehog against Diddy trying to sweetspot the ledge
    • Downtilt or Downsmash Diddy if he can't sweetspot
    • If Diddy is going to overshoot, move back towards where on stage he will land and charge a smash attack of your choice
  • Throw eggs as he charges his up B!
  • Diddy can Side B for great horizontal recovery and Up B out of it, expect it
Recovering against Diddy:

IV. Stages
Ultimately, Stage striking, banning, and Counterpicking comes down to personal preference. People will also have conflicting opinions as to which stages are better or worse for certain matchups. Use this as a rough baseline, understand the reasons why each stage may help hurt a particular character, and learn what your opponent might want to ban/counterpick against you. Different Tournaments use different stage lists with different sets of starters and different amounts of stage bans.
Counterpicks:

Even:

BAN:

V. Tricks, Tips, Do's and Don'ts:
Don't:

Do:

Tricks:

• You can Wavedash over a banana to pick it up, and you can airdodge through a banana or a peanut to grab it in the air
Tips:

Guide Contributors:
@ Mumbo Mumbo

Last edited:

Sylnic

Smash Cadet
Item control is key here. Being able to pick up and catch bananas with a wavedash or AGT is essential to mastering the match-up. I love the moments I've been able to use Diddy's items against him. Keep in mind that you can catch Diddy's peanuts.

Also, is there a DI mixup with Diddy's throws? I feel like I've gotten caught in a DI trap before, where I went to DI the Down-throw and got killed out of another throw.

Damp

Smash Apprentice
With Diddy, the key is picking stages with platforms. As Diddy tosses out his bananas, your normal (or what you should make normal) platform movement with wavelands will automatically pick up the bananas. Also, you can eggroll right over bananas when he places them on the floor of the stage. Usually, you shouldn't use eggroll as your main approach, but I say in this matchup it's okay. Don't always go right in with it though, mix it up. Start rolling at him and break early and react. Then occassionally go in, break egg, and do your uptilt juggle stuff. Diddy gets juggled easy. Also, use your egg toss to edgeguard when Diddy is charging his up-b, then d-tilt as he comes up. But watch out for the broken heat seeking barrel that will come after you.

Damp

Smash Apprentice
Diddy wins 60-40 or more-so. :yoshi2: is one of the easiest characters to gimp as :diddy:.

:018:
While I do think Diddy can gimp Yoshi pretty hard, I still think Yoshi's movement, grab, and juggling abilities give him this matchup or at least it is even.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
While I do think Diddy can gimp Yoshi pretty hard, I still think Yoshi's movement, grab, and juggling abilities give him this matchup or at least it is even.
You're nuts if you think :diddy: loses to :yoshi2: LMFAO. No pun intended.

Damp

Smash Apprentice
You're nuts if you think :diddy: loses to :yoshi2: LMFAO. No pun intended.

I may be over estimating Yoshi's potential in the matchup, but it definitely isn't as uneven in Diddy's favor as you think. One grab can give Yoshi the stock if he plays it right.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I may be over estimating Yoshi's potential in the matchup, but it definitely isn't as uneven in Diddy's favor as you think. One grab can give Yoshi the stock if he plays it right.
Lol no. :diddy:'s recovery isn't very gimpable by :yoshi2:. If :yoshi2: wants to go offstage and get up b'd by :diddy: in the trade then ok, either you will die alone or we will both die, but :diddy: will not be dying alone.

Top Bottom