• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. Falco

D

Deleted member

In a tourney today, i got massacred by some falcos in friendlies. What do u do if they sit back and just lazer spam, especially on FD? U need to approach them, they can fairly easily dodge any eggs u manage to get off, and u are pinned. U sorta hafta jump over to him, which generally leads to me being comboed. Also, how do u get out of a pillar. Thanks and hope u guys like teh major bumpage.

bigman40

Smash Master
Trying to counter atk might be shined since it takes time to come out of the shield, and the lag time for some of yoshi's moves is a pain when going against someone that fast.
One thing i'm wondering though is that when falco is breathing on you could lightshielding be useful as a tactic?
Also, on the offensive strats, the most recommended thing would be to stay above his lasers to at least get close to him?

Eltrotraw

Smash Journeyman
I recall hearing some rolling also works to dodging the lasers.

But really your best bet is to fake him out and pray he falls for it. Yoshi doesn't really have too many effective options against Falco..

I see some other options available:
-Powershielding
-Counterpicking to a stage like Pokefloats/Mute City
-Camping in a spot away from laser spam

You also want to move and not be stuck too much on the defensive. If he catches you turtling you're going to get pillared. I... learned this one the hard way.

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
In a tourney today, i got massacred by some falcos in friendlies. What do u do if they sit back and just lazer spam, especially on FD? U need to approach them, they can fairly easily dodge any eggs u manage to get off, and u are pinned. U sorta hafta jump over to him, which generally leads to me being comboed. Also, how do u get out of a pillar. Thanks and hope u guys like teh major bumpage.
Avoid FD :p since these were friendlies thats not really an option, but if you know your gonna face a falco in the bracket, ban FD. Yes, Yoshi has more space here for his own combos too, but that doesnt really compensate for the pure dominance that falco has on FD.

Couterpick stages where you can either kill him fast or where you live very long. I prefer to face them on FoD, BF or DL64. Platforms also help to give you some breathing space, since you can easily start playing stupid just by the frustration of his lasers + ridiculous combos.

I still find this probably the hardest matchup for yoshi though (I usually turn to fox for this matchup). Falco can make you come approach him because of the lasers, and we all know thats not really yoshi's strongest point. If you can learn to powershield on a constant base, that will usually break the flow of the falco. Thats pretty much all I can think of...

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I know it sounds stupid, but I counter-camp with crouch powershielding.

If they can beat me in a fight, then that's fine, but there's not much they can do about powershielding except to reflect them back with Shine and it becomes blatantly obvious when they're gonna try something like that.

And it ticks some of them off, too. ^_^

D

Deleted member

Thanks for the tips everyone, but i cant powershield very well :urg: I kinda figured that FD+falco= dead yoshi :( Even without lasers, id still say falco has an advantage with all of his crazy combos. Once they are off the edge, i try to make sure to finish them.

Top Bottom