• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Up-Throw to Down-Air Combo

Lightsoul

Tricky Fox
NNID
Lightsoul101
3DS FC
3969-4786-4826
First still doing testing with this but I have found some success in live play. Yoshi's Up-Throw as little knock back and can lead to a variety of follow up attacks depending on weight, % and if the opponent DI's or not. I have found on Med to Heavy character's that Yoshi is able to Up-Throw and then follow up with a Short Hop to Down-Air which as we all know racks up a crap ton of damage. I will begin labbing this in practice and against dummy characters in Vs mode so I can see how staling, fresh and other small live game factors will affect this.

Despite popular belief I strongly do believe that Yoshi does have some good out of throw attacks that may not be true combos but in a game where the mix up game is just as important as the combo game this could change things up a bit.

Professor Oats

Smash Cadet
NNID
Professor_Oats
Have you tried throwing a live opponent onto a battlefield platform and trying that? It'll keep them still and hopefully stops a panic aerial when they come down. I usually do up throw onto the top platform at later percents to get a tech read with up air, but the concept is the same, and I'll definitely test variants of that on some friends tomorrow, let you know how it goes.

100AngryTurtles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AngryTurtles
Have you tried throwing a live opponent onto a battlefield platform and trying that?
It works on any platform as long as they don't react immediately or if they don't tech. I believe up throw to charge up smash as well as down air work on the lower platforms of battlefield as long as they don't tech.

Lightsoul

Tricky Fox
NNID
Lightsoul101
3DS FC
3969-4786-4826
Sweet I'll give those a try guys. Thanks for the replies and once/if I find anything I'll be sure to record it and upload it here. Lets find some new ways to play a old dino.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Something you can do ocasionally is to grab release and down b right after. The usual reaction after that is to shield and the down b will most likely break the shield. This is not guaranted of course but I like to hide that as a secret tatic to use when no one is expecting it.

Last edited:

Lightsoul

Tricky Fox
NNID
Lightsoul101
3DS FC
3969-4786-4826
Something you can do ocasionally is to grab release and down b right after. The usual reaction after that is to shield and the down b will most likely break the shield. This is not guaranted of course but I like to hide that as a secret tatic to use when no one is expecting it.
That is actually really smart. Yoshi's grab release is usually pretty good and normally I jab combo after it. I'll have to work on the short hop to air attack to make this work. Though using it at least once a match and at a unexpected time is a good idea.

New thing I might try tonight besides that is grab > pummel > release > jab > (reset) > Upsmash or...
grab > pummel > release > jab > B (command grab)

Professor Oats

Smash Cadet
NNID
Professor_Oats
I also like down B out of grab release, took me a set once. However, I've stopped grab releasing ZSS or anyone with a frame one jab, because it seems like if they mash jab after release, I can't shield or do anything in time, and I get hit for free. Can anyone confirm? I don't actually know any frame data regarding Yoshi's grab release.

Jab-upsmash out of grab release is pretty fun, jab 1 to egg lay would probably not work, there's about a second before you can regrab people, maybe jab cancel and do two jab 1's to egg lay and it'd time out right? It'd also look super stylish.

100AngryTurtles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AngryTurtles
I believe you can shield ZSS's frame 1 Jab after grab release because shield comes out on frame one. I'm just not sure what Yoshi's FAF is after a grab release.

Jab to Neutral B should work after a grab release as the regrab timer should have reset by then. I would not recommend it though because it is not true and you can be punished. Egg Lay doesn't come out until frame 21 and I do not believe Jab provides enough hit stun for that to work. If Jab to smashes or down-b feels too unsafe, then try tilts. Uptilt is a little risky, but down and forward tilt come out fast and have little endlag. At low-mid percents a down tilt can be followed up with a dash attack, a smash read, or a Fair lock depending on where they land and if they tech

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Grab release frame advantage is +0 on ground release and +10 on air release.

Lightsoul

Tricky Fox
NNID
Lightsoul101
3DS FC
3969-4786-4826
I should change this topic to talking about Yoshi's grab follow ups. I figured out that Up-Throw to D-Air is really tough to pull off against all but large opponents with a big hit box.

Professor Oats

Smash Cadet
NNID
Professor_Oats
Found something juicy this weekend. At somewhere 40-50% (probably weight dependant on when exactly, I landed it on Rosalina and Mac for the record), if you forward throw them to the battlefield/dreamland side platforms, fair's spike box will jab lock if they fail to tech, or if they are teching that consistently, you can up smash or dair the platform instead.

Assuming it works similarly for back-throw, but I have yet to lab it, and sometimes I forget Yoshi's back throw exists in singles :p

Last edited:

Professor Oats

Smash Cadet
NNID
Professor_Oats
Update on forward throw to fair jab-lock on the battlefield platforms. During all of the percent range it works, they can either DI up and mash jump or DI down/away and they either escape or fail to reach the platform entirely.

So, totally not practical, IF they know when/how to DI. I will probably get mild use out of it if I've been going for grab release or down throw most other times in that game.

Enjeru Karasu

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nothost
3DS FC
1993-9726-9368
Yeah, It's something I was planning on experimenting with, but experienced players can DI away from some of the throws. Up throw seemes to be the most consistent in terms of setting this up due it just being a straight rise in the air. It is worth practicing, but Even if you try to use the platforms, you still have to read how they'll react. Yoshi requires you to be really good at reading people. It's a skill every good smash players have, but Yoshi is one of those characters who relies on it more then most other upper tier characters.

Lightsoul

Tricky Fox
NNID
Lightsoul101
3DS FC
3969-4786-4826
I have had success with the reads out of throw in the past. I think I have had success doing this on larger opponents and those who do not DI well.

Enjeru Karasu

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nothost
3DS FC
1993-9726-9368
I have had success with the reads out of throw in the past. I think I have had success doing this on larger opponents and those who do not DI well.
Sadly it doesn't work as well against people who know how to DI well. Which is kinda what you're going to run into in upper level tournaments. Unless if you play super long and become a master at reading.

Top Bottom