• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi, The Mushroom Kingdom's Favorite Dino.

Yoshi, The Mushroom Kingdom's Favorite Dino.

James Mesa

Smash Cadet
NNID
KitkaDoodle
James Mesa submitted a new guide:

Yoshi, The Destructive Dino - Basic/ Advanced Yoshi guide

This guide should be able able to help provide an in depth look at how to play what i think is a seriously under utilized character.
This guide will go over:
  • Yoshi's moveset
  • Approach options
  • Kill options
  • A few combos/ combo starters
  • Stage options (3DS and Wii U)
  • Some advanced techniques
Read more about this guide...

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
Good guide, but you state that up until Smash 4, Yoshi only had the double jump. The boost he gets from his UpB was added in Brawl. You should probably fix that.
Also, you should list good Smash 3DS stages. Not everyone has the WiiU.

Last edited:

James Mesa

Smash Cadet
NNID
KitkaDoodle
Good guide, but you state that up until Smash 4, Yoshi only had the double jump. The boost he gets from his UpB was added in Brawl. You should probably fix that.
Also, you should list good Smash 3DS stages. Not everyone has the WiiU.
Ah I completely forgot about that in Brawl. I was never too big on the scene for that game and never played Yoshi in it. Thank you for telling me that. I didn't put the 3ds maps since Wii U is the standard for competitive tournaments, but you're right and I should include them.

InfinityZERO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CeroCulpa
3DS FC
0447-5489-0482
I also liked your guide. For the next iteration, how about you add some thoughts for each of Yoshi's moves? For example, Yoshi's dash attack is pretty great when it is late and it is safe on shield compared to someone with a bad one like Shulk.
As for your kill section, I'd highlight that Yoshi has a difficult time getting kills compared to other characters because of the lag involve with his smashes and Uair can be read. Also, is grab (at high percents with no pummel), the opponent escapes, and USmash still a viable kill option with the newest patch?

James Mesa

Smash Cadet
NNID
KitkaDoodle
I also liked your guide. For the next iteration, how about you add some thoughts for each of Yoshi's moves? For example, Yoshi's dash attack is pretty great when it is late and it is safe on shield compared to someone with a bad one like Shulk.
As for your kill section, I'd highlight that Yoshi has a difficult time getting kills compared to other characters because of the lag involve with his smashes and Uair can be read. Also, is grab (at high percents with no pummel), the opponent escapes, and USmash still a viable kill option with the newest patch?
Hm, I never was able to land the grab release to Up Smash with Yoshi pre patch so I never saw it as a viable option. You are right that I didn't talk about the lag on Yoshis smash attacks. The Uair CAN be read but if your opponent expects it you can easily bait out the airdodge and hit it while falling. I'll definitely fix up the guide when I get the chance.

James Mesa

Smash Cadet
NNID
KitkaDoodle

Cat8752

Smash Apprentice
This guide is great, but I noticed you said that Yoshi's back air is four hits, it is not four hits anymore, its three.

As for things I'd recommend you add:

You said dthrow has no significant follow ups, but dthrow can be followed up by a well-spaced up air at lower percents.

Also, Town and City is another great stage for Yoshi since it has platforms like Battlefield, as well as an incredibly low ceiling, leading to some ridiculous early kills.

James Mesa

Smash Cadet
NNID
KitkaDoodle
This guide is great, but I noticed you said that Yoshi's back air is four hits, it is not four hits anymore, its three.

As for things I'd recommend you add:

You said dthrow has no significant follow ups, but dthrow can be followed up by a well-spaced up air at lower percents.

Also, Town and City is another great stage for Yoshi since it has platforms like Battlefield, as well as an incredibly low ceiling, leading to some ridiculous early kills.
Hmm. I'll fix that tidbit on his back air. I guess that the down throw to up air is an idea but with the other things you can do from a grab with Yoshi I think its not worth doing over options like >Grab >Pummel > Jab/ Ftilt/ Dair/ Nair which, from experiece, are an easy combo to get your opponent from 0 to 30% - 50% in like 10 seconds. I thought I included Town and City. I'm not a personal fan of TaC since the platforms are constantly moving and can often screw you over and a high platform isn't present for most of the map cycle. I do suppose that the moving platforms could help extend Yoshi's ledge guarding capabilities, but hm im not to sure. It'd require me hitting the lab i guess.

James Mesa

Smash Cadet
NNID
KitkaDoodle

Cat8752

Smash Apprentice
Hmm. I'll fix that tidbit on his back air. I guess that the down throw to up air is an idea but with the other things you can do from a grab with Yoshi I think its not worth doing over options like >Grab >Pummel > Jab/ Ftilt/ Dair/ Nair which, from experiece, are an easy combo to get your opponent from 0 to 30% - 50% in like 10 seconds. I thought I included Town and City. I'm not a personal fan of TaC since the platforms are constantly moving and can often screw you over and a high platform isn't present for most of the map cycle. I do suppose that the moving platforms could help extend Yoshi's ledge guarding capabilities, but hm im not to sure. It'd require me hitting the lab i guess.
So you can combo with Yoshi off of a grab release? Also note that Town and City has a low ceiling so Yoshi can kill earlier off the top.

James Mesa

Smash Cadet
NNID
KitkaDoodle
So you can combo with Yoshi off of a grab release? Also note that Town and City has a low ceiling so Yoshi can kill earlier off the top.
Hm, I forgot that about TnC. Thanks. Yes, Yoshi's pummel to grab release can combo into a jab for sure on some characters. Jab is definitely the safest bet cause I'm not too sure about anything else. It can be evaded if the opponent does a jumping release and it only works on a majority of the cast and works at any percent from what I've seen. It depends on the release distance of the grab for the characters. Example could be Yoshi himself. This technique doesn't really work against another Yoshi since he jumps back too far, but it works on Jigglypuff.

Cat8752

Smash Apprentice
Hm, I forgot that about TnC. Thanks. Yes, Yoshi's pummel to grab release can combo into a jab for sure on some characters. Jab is definitely the safest bet cause I'm not too sure about anything else. It can be evaded if the opponent does a jumping release and it only works on a majority of the cast and works at any percent from what I've seen. It depends on the release distance of the grab for the characters. Example could be Yoshi himself. This technique doesn't really work against another Yoshi since he jumps back too far, but it works on Jigglypuff.
That's nice, but since it can be evaded while dthrow to uair cannot be (at low percents) I think it is important to include all options, to keep your opponents on their toes and not end up becoming predictable (especially if it isn't guaranteed.)

James Mesa

Smash Cadet
NNID
KitkaDoodle
That's nice, but since it can be evaded while dthrow to uair cannot be (at low percents) I think it is important to include all options, to keep your opponents on their toes and not end up becoming predictable (especially if it isn't guaranteed.)
I did some testing and actually found that at 0% UpThrow> UpAir works as well as DThrow> UAir. It works but isn't guaranteed like most grab combos. If you find anything out please let me know.

James Mesa

Smash Cadet
NNID
KitkaDoodle

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
As someone who used Yoshi before switching gears to Fox, I can say for charged up attacks (or in terms of power for that matter) Yoshi is pretty damn intimidating. However, the conclusion I came to when using Yoshi in Smash 4 as compared to the Yoshi in Brawl was 1. The Yoshi in Brawl lagged less, whereas there are a couple seconds of ground lag with Smash 4's Yoshi (e.g. coming down in a ground pound) and 2. Yoshi's recovery in both Brawl and Smash 4 were on about the same level, as compared to characters like Fox and King Dedede, whom have much more recovering range (granted you hold down the B after the Fox Illusion then use Fox's fire move).

Those are just my observations though using Yoshi circa Melee up until early this year. I tell ya, there have been times I would have been toast with Yoshi that Fox's recovery has saved my a$$. I'd have videos up for proof, but I don't have any way to video capture gameplay.

DX_97

Smash Cadet
NNID
kwakdohyun97
just to clarify, yoshi's second jump is heavy armor, not super armor. u can get hit out of his second jump. also, u should probably mention b reversing yoshi's neutral b as a mix up to confuse ur opponent and to space. yoshi's eggs (up b) can combo into another egg, or a fair, which can get early kills offstage. His nair(strong) combos into fair at low to mid percents while nair(weak) combos into fair at higher percents. otherwise, good guide.

Last edited:

James Mesa

Smash Cadet
NNID
KitkaDoodle
just to clarify, yoshi's second jump is heavy armor, not super armor. u can get hit out of his second jump. also, u should probably mention b reversing yoshi's neutral b as a mix up to confuse ur opponent and to space. yoshi's eggs (up b) can combo into another egg, or a fair, which can get early kills offstage. His nair(strong) combos into fair at low to mid percents while nair(weak) combos into fair at higher percents. otherwise, good guide.
Thanks. I'll add that in when I get the chance. Forgot about how it's heavy armor and not super armor.

LolYoshi5

Smash Rookie
NNID
CostcoRice
3DS FC
4682-9823-4137
I recommend adding some combos that implement the high damage-racking ability of his D-air : i.e. U-tilt string -> D-Air at low percents is a good one. I don't know if it's true, but I use it a lot in competition.

Last edited:

James Mesa

Smash Cadet
NNID
KitkaDoodle
I recommend adding some combos that implement the high damage-racking ability of his D-air : i.e. U-tilt string -> D-Air at low percents is a good one. I don't know if it's true, but I use it a lot in competition.
Utilt to Dair isn't True and they can fall out of the first few hits and escape. Sadly there are no combos I know of that directly link to Dair or combos you can get from Dair. I believe that Utilt to Uair/ Usmash, while considerably less damage than Dair, are more optimal. But do not let that get in the way of doing what's working for you. I'll test it out and see if Utilt x2> Dair could work since 2 is the max you can get on just about the entire cast before they fall out.

LolYoshi5

Smash Rookie
NNID
CostcoRice
3DS FC
4682-9823-4137
Utilt to Dair isn't True and they can fall out of the first few hits and escape. Sadly there are no combos I know of that directly link to Dair or combos you can get from Dair. I believe that Utilt to Uair/ Usmash, while considerably less damage than Dair, are more optimal. But do not let that get in the way of doing what's working for you. I'll test it out and see if Utilt x2> Dair could work since 2 is the max you can get on just about the entire cast before they fall out.
Alright then. I'll try and see if I can get anything else from/into D-Air.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
If you're in the air and your opponent is on the ground and you hit him with an egg, you may be able to follow up with a FF Dair, but that's extremely situational. Other than that I can't see any kind of combo that ends up with a Dair.

LolYoshi5

Smash Rookie
NNID
CostcoRice
3DS FC
4682-9823-4137
I've heard that around mid-percents, you could D-Tilt into sweetspot F-Air, not jab locking them, but giving them enough hitstun so you have enough time to get a follow-up before they have a chance to tech it(like D-Air).

:4yoshi:F-Air too OP

Last edited:

Chins

Smash Rookie
I did enjoy the guide but I would like to share another 2 uses for Bair since I did not see them on here nor any guides that I have read so far.
1. You can land the first two hits and miss the third to leave a Footstool-like effect on the opponent. You can follow-up with an actual Footstool/well spaced Fair if off stage or standard combo starters at low %/kill options at high % if it is grounded. This is possible with one hit also but is a bit strict to perform and might not be as useful.
2. Dash Grab approach near the ledge[-> Pummels] ->Grab release ->walkoff Bair offstage kind off hugging the lip/wall with the opponent between. This can effectively kill at 80%+(would say earlier but is situational and cannot remember many earlier kills) in my experience if they do not tech the stage spike. If they do tech, a sour Fair or another Bair can throw them farther offstage and Dair can setup for a spike/an Uair or something else of choice.

Just an Egg Roll thing: if you press your jump button before landing from a platform you will bounce higher than usual. It could catch your opponent off guard.
I hope these could be helpful to bringing your Yoshi game to its best.

Last edited:
Top Bottom