• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Story. Good or Bad?

InfiniteGXT

Smash Journeyman
I used to think that it was falcos worst stage, but now if you consider that it is great for pressure play by keeping the heat going with combos, the increased effectiveness of SHL for canceling attacks(the bottom boundary is high) and no chain throwing its not that bad. Also the platforms are really close together allowing for great platform combos which work wonders against Fox and Marth. Falcos recovery is poor to begin with meaning he isnt effected much by the bottom boundary being so high. This means that it is nearly impossible for characters like fox and marth to sweetspot allowing for an easy spike/dsmash.

So what do you guys think? Why is it seen as a bad stage for falco(so Ive heard)?

DJ Boonbuggy

Smash Apprentice
Yea, it's kind of a curse and a blessing with Marth, given his sword tipper range with platforms, but all in all I enjoy the stage. SHLing can me hampered by the multiple platforms, but it's great for pressure since everything is so close together, like you said. Also, like you said, you can platform combo out the frame here which helps a lot in some match ups. All in all, I'd say it's a pretty good stage for Falco, if he gets out too much further than the boundaries, he's not going to be able to make it back anyway, so people who use that excuse to call it a horrible stage are missing the mark a bit.

pressthebutton

Smash Apprentice
getting caught in a marth's utilt isnt much fun tho. other than that kind of stuff, its not that bad of a map for falco. i dunno if i would use it as a counterpick though

h.e.x

Smash Rookie
Hey, it's better than Icicle Mountain. Actually, I think you might be able to get mad shine kills on the IC stage...

I dunno, I like Yoshi Story. It's pretty easy to string stuff together via the Dair. Matter of preference though. Aggro Falcos do well, control Falcos less so than Final D.

h.e.x

Smash Rookie
I don't know what the morbid Marth obsession is. I wouldn't pick Yoshi Story to counter pick Marth because of the platform heights, but it's not the end of the world to play a Marth on Yoshi Story. You just have to stay clear of his head's immediate zipcode.

Stryk9

Smash Journeyman
i really dont like it, i need the space but i think that has to do with me not being good enough to link combos in that small space and still avoid getting hit alot

Vampirekain

Smash Journeyman
If i were to play against a Marth in Yoshi Story level i would definitely lure him for a battle ontop the faraway cloud to the right...Just wait for a couple of seconds as he's coming towards me for the cloud to vaporize then flying back to the stage! (I main with Peach) But you can do this cheap trick with other characters as well :p

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Yoshi story is fine for Falco. Litterally all the neutral stages are fine for Falco, he is versatile enough to fight almost anyone, anywhere (though I'd still never like fighting Peach on DL64).

YS is good for Falco because his recovery is a complete non-issue, while other characters will die when they normally wouldn't. It's a good stage to counterpick vs. Peach, Samus or Jiggs so that the tables are turned on their recovery advantages. The combo potential is also insane do to the complete coverage of the stage by platforms, allowing for extended 40-50% combos on mid to floaty characters.

On the other hand, it's difficult to control a match with Lasers on YS because there is literally no room on the stage that isn't covered by platforms. This is not terribly relevant most of the time, but against characters like Shiek, Ganon, and Marth where laser control is very important to maintain, YS can be a problem. I still don't mind Marths and Ganons there, as the comboing potential is insane on the level, and they still have to come to you (no projectiles), but against Shieks and Marios, they gain some room to work the angled projectile approaches, which makes this stage sub par against them. Also, Shiek gains some recovery options do to the platforms overhanging the edge, she can up b while you are edgehogging and still have the option to go onto the stage or the platform instead of being forced to the stage for an easy fsmash. This is a bad place to be against Shieks and Marios for these reasons.

Yoru

Smash Apprentice
Eh, I need a littile room to shl so I don't like the level much. It all depends on your style with Falco.

Falco doesn't do bad on the level, but I just prefer all the other nuetral stages over it so I'll probally not want to go there if I'm playing a Marth.

A-Laon

Smash Master
Personally, Im quite fond of YS, even in the Marth match-up. Yes, it requires a slightly more relaxed and cautious playstyle as laser control just doesn't have the same impact as it does on most other stages, but Falco's already godly offensive potential is amplified even further. As far as I see it, YS rewards more careful play with heightened combo ability, so I'm all for it.

Top Bottom