• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi: Stages and Characters

Doubletails

Smash Cadet
Well, since long posts are in the fashion for :yoshi:'s discussions and since I've lately been wondering about the game yoshiwise, there's been a few questions nesting the back of my head, and I wanted to extend a new topic Melee related, of course, since the 64 game was never played by me in a way I have the SSBM.

I've been hearing for so long that there are counterpick characters for X character, also, I've heard that stages are chosen to counterpick X character. Honestly, I don't see this so clearly, but, to give some really blunt explanation, The characters with poor recoveries (Like Popo without Nana) or the people that depends very much on the ledgegame, usually pick F-zero's Mute City to counterpick them.
A better example would be Poke Floats, because of their foxhole effect in characters like fox.

Anyway, I was wondering what Stages fit best for :yoshi:'s game, whilst knowing all the others that wouldn't be most recommended. Don't neccessarily has to be the place where :yoshi: plays the best, but there can also be stages where :yoshi: can pull off one of his techniques best.

In the same wondering fashion, I am curious about the list of characters that affect or are defected in :yoshi:'s game. Also, it does not have to be a contrasting list, but you can also quote characters that can (or cannot) be affected by one specific :yoshi: technique, or the exact contrary: a specific technique that affects (or not) the green dragon's game.

The List could go as long as all of the stages.
It also applies to All characters in terms of list lenght.

I am wishing (and willing) to debate or reply to all posts with a sensitive tidbit of my
own scarce knowledge.

* Small Edit, Upon Reading Shiri's "Yoshi Is Serious Business" I'm forced to use my writer's prerrogative and make this topic highly specific. By this I mean only to quote the characters and stages related to Yoshi's move or technique + a description of how this is done.

Doubletails

Smash Cadet
By this short post, I come to think that you're implying that :yoshi: is a character that can adapt to any stage wholly, which is surprising, because there are stages that bother my game, but may not affect yours at all, but on the whole contrary, They might give you the upper hand.

Anyway, I wanted to hear people quote the stages first in order for me to digest and analyze the possibilities given and finally agree or respect the point of view. In any case, I don't wish to give out a list, cause I'd most likely end up listing the whole roster of stages for you to give them out, and in all honesty, that is just not fair to be done on a single post, it would almost be as writing a guide all over again.

My particular problem is being at a disadvantage on top of a platform whilst having my foe underneath. Mainly because I've faced characters with a nasty aerial game (Ganon, Sheik, Cap'n, etc.) and also I've found problems with the stages that are so small they would not allow :yoshi:'s recovery to even come into play. Can you figure out the stages just by the description..?

Fountain of Dreams
Yoshi's Story
Battlefield
Flat Zone
Mushroom Kingdoms

And, as I said, I would most likely end up quoting half of the available stages, so that's why I want to start little by little, so that it does not become bothersome or annoying.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Flat Zone and Mushroom Kingdom 1, as far as I know, aren't tournament legal.

If you're problem is being on top of a platform while your opponent is below you, then you just need to use one of a few tricks. If I'm being seriously pressured from below, like if Ganon is directly below me on YS and wanting to up-air/up-smash me, I usually resort to light shielding. This will get you off the platfrom quickly, and if you slide off the platform facing forwards, you can DJC straight away and punish them (**** the slipping animation you get facing backwards >_<). If I don't feel like I'm going to have to shield myself to stop from getting hit, I'll either wait for an opportunity to fall through the platform and DJC to approach, or run off the edge and then DJC towards the opponent. Then, for mindgames I can also run off the edge and DJC wavedash back on the platform, only to run off the other edge, or even DJC backwards so I'm off the same edge again.

Tricksies.

Also, if small stages are your problem, then you just need to learn to land power hits earlier. Even if your recovery doesn't come into play, you should be able to land powerful hits just as easy as your opponents can. Despite the fact that Yoshi's recovery doesn't help him, his weight should. Granted, you may only live to another 20% each stock or something, but that is definitely worth abusing.

What else do you need help with?

Top Bottom