• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
As you all (probably) know, there have been 2 Yoshi-related updates already, but no sign of the green dino himself yet. What's the deal, have they changed him so drastically that they want to keep him hidden for so long? Of the original 8 Smashers from the N64 version, Yoshi is the only one left as well. And as a Yoshi fan, I'm eager to see his new look. Will he look like his more recent Mario Party-incarnations? I hope not, it'll ruin him for me. Maybe they wanted to show the others first, since Yoshi fans already got a music piece and a stage.

And what about his Final Smash? I can't think of anything for him to do on this part, except for an enormous egg, or strangling someone with his long tongue, and slamming them down, and if above the edge, even spiking them. I hope they don't make it an egg related move again, but oh well.

Will there also be other characters from the Yoshi universe? Maybe Kamek will be a good choice, but it's hard to imagine him in the Brawl arena. Shy Guys would be cool too, but they already make appearances in some stages.

Stone.Tower

Smash Cadet
Although Yoshi isn't one of my mains, he's a character that I enjoy playing simply because he's Yoshi! The stage and music had me wondering as well, and I'm hoping they worked long and hard on his appearance, if that's what they're working on. We can only hope I guess, but it slightly worries me that Yoshi is last of the original eight to be re-introduced in Brawl.

As for his Final Smash...you know, I have NO idea. Hopefully it'll be something creative. At least give him that, right? :]

I'm like a Shy Guy FANATIC. One did appear in Mario Tennis as a PC, and I'm hoping for at least an assist trophy for the Shy Guys, but then again, they do appear in stages like you said, so I'm not sure if that'll happen. Kamek, however, sounds like a good idea, but I can't see him in Brawl. People have been suggesting Birdo, but I can't see her in the Brawl arena either. :/

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I don't see Birdo as a Yoshi character at all, rather as a Mario character since she NEVER appeared in a Yoshi game as far as I know. So it'd be dumb if she actually made the playable appearance, and got the egg symbol, if you ask me.

And yes, I do hope his FS will be creative. I hope it'll be something cool/cruel though, not something too cute. =P

Stone.Tower

Smash Cadet
I don't either, but you see, most people seem to see Yoshi and Birdo together. Like...from the same game series. I suppose it spawns from the fact that both Yoshi and Birdo have been in Mario games. Which is true, but not in the same ones.

Yoshi, cruel? Let's hope so. :]

Stone.Tower

Smash Cadet
Furry? A dinosaur?
That's cool.
I can see it now, a Yoshi with tons of fur and a mohawk.
Haha, riiiight.

But seriously, I hope they don't give him scales. x_X

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Yosher
And as a Yoshi fan, I'm eager to see his new look.
I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that he'll probably look something like exactly the way he's looked in every game he's ever been in. Except, he'll probably have a beard.

Yosher
And what about his Final Smash?
He lays an egg, and a baby Yoshi hatches out and eats your opponent's face off.

RedMarf

Smash Cadet
yoshi's most likey coming back(unlike Dr. mario :)) ; i mean, he's an origanal nintindo character; he has to come back right?? i personaly think he should be able to swallow projectiles, and items to turn them into eggs. as for a final smash, umm who knows.

Caael

Smash Lord
Yoshi should be able to aim his eggs better, like in the Yoshi's island games ( Hold the button until you want to fire) instead of random directions. That annoyed me, and that's why I never used him.

He should change to Yoob for his final smash.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I'm fine with his egg throwing move as it is, if they take the YI-style of egg throwing they'd have to put in the crosshair too, and that would alarm the oponent in time to dodge it. So just leave that as it is. I pretty much hit every egg anyway.

I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that he'll probably look something like exactly the way he's looked in every game he's ever been in. Except, he'll probably have a beard.
They gave almost everyone a much better look compared to Melee so why not Yoshi? That's why I'm eager to see his new look.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Yosher
They gave almost everyone a much better look compared to Melee so why not Yoshi? That's why I'm eager to see his new look.
Pikachu and Kirby look exactly the same. To me Yoshi falls in the same category as them. I don't see what they could do to make him look any better. Except give him a beard.

DonkeySmasher

Smash Ace
yoshi is one of the only characters that making him more realistic is plain wrong i mean what if they give him scales and a slimy tongue (shudders)

anyway i say that the yoshi fs will be the obvious one

yoshi stampede!!!! (with some eggs to cover the air)

also i have to show this

http://youtube.com/watch?v=inJcuSWWESU

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
They could make him look "better" without giving him scales and crap like that.

I see Yoshi as just being.....shinier. More of a smooth, kind of amphibian-like skin. And just giving all his different parts different textures. His shell, shoes, and skin should all be textured differently. In Melee, everything looked like it was made of plastic.

MDZ

Smash Journeyman
Armstrong B.C Canada. It's in the Okanagan, so if
yoshi is one of the only characters that making him more realistic is plain wrong i mean what if they give him scales and a slimy tongue (shudders)

anyway i say that the yoshi fs will be the obvious one

yoshi stampede!!!! (with some eggs to cover the air)

also i have to show this

http://youtube.com/watch?v=inJcuSWWESU

QFT. The Yoshi Stampede would be pure awesomeness. Nothing else really suits Yoshi.. I mean, yeah.. Eggs are his thing, but a giant egg/barrage of eggs just wouldn't cut it. Even in his clip in the SSBM opening there was a Yoshi stampede. Nothing more "final smash" like than a hundreds or so Yoshis trampling the stage.

As for Yoshi's aiming; it's fine right now. You can aim it perfectly, it just takes some practice.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Oh please DON'T let his FS be a stampede! It looks like such an easy way out for the developers to think of. It might be powerfull, but it would be so easy to dodge as the opponents could just jump to avoid the Yoshi's. No way will his FS be a stampede! I'd rather have a giant egg then....

As for his looks, I really don't see how he couldn't be upgraded. Maybe not much, but still more than Kirby and Pikachu. The LEAST they could do is not make his tongue look like it sticks on the underside of his snout whenever he's not using it. But I'm quite sure they can make him look better.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I'm sure Yoshi's chances don't even need to be called chances. He has an 100% chance of being in brawl, unlike some Melee characters we know. Yoshi, Luigi, Captain Falcon, Ness, and Jigglypuff are more likely to return then any Melee clone.

Shuma

Smash Hero
Hi Guys, I'm Sakurai.

I haven't updated Yoshi yet because...

Oh my, i'm so excited, he will be an Assist Trophy.

I'm Sure you're going to love it when you see him.

Watch the site tonight ;).

SonicMario

Smash Master
Hi Guys, I'm Sakurai.

Oooooooooooooh.... Someone's going to get flamed for this:laugh:

That would be a Yoshi fan's worst nightmare (Other then not even making an appearence)

Chepe

Smash Lord
Great to see another Yoshi main wondering why Sakurai hasnt revealed him yet...

Im even happier to see that you dont want him to be changed to his Marioparty incarnations either! Seriously, that form would nerf Yoshi, it's just not fit for fighting! Anyone who uses Yoshi well knows how valuable his tail and kick attacks are. Well, if he had that stubby humanesque form, he would have no reach! That stump of a tail would be a joke for his up aerial and down tilt, not to mention his awesome down smash!

I am waiting in suspense for Yoshi's revelation on the DOJO, and I am hoping that Sakurai has the sense to keep his shape the same as it has been in both past Smashes, so that he wont need a complete moveset overhaul. I am disgusted just thinking of that stubby Yoshi running with his arms at his sides like in Yoshi's Story, only in Brawl...

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Hi Guys, I'm Sakurai.

If they would really reveal that he's an AT now, I'd be só pissed... They can't do that to Yoshi.

Great to see another Yoshi main wondering why Sakurai hasnt revealed him yet...

Im even happier to see that you dont want him to be changed to his Marioparty incarnations either! Seriously, that form would nerf Yoshi, it's just not fit for fighting! Anyone who uses Yoshi well knows how valuable his tail and kick attacks are. Well, if he had that stubby humanesque form, he would have no reach! That stump of a tail would be a joke for his up aerial and down tilt, not to mention his awesome down smash!

I am waiting in suspense for Yoshi's revelation on the DOJO, and I am hoping that Sakurai has the sense to keep his shape the same as it has been in both past Smashes, so that he wont need a complete moveset overhaul. I am disgusted just thinking of that stubby Yoshi running with his arms at his sides like in Yoshi's Story, only in Brawl...
Ah, so I'm not the only one who thinks like that. Glad to hear that.

But actually, now that you mention Yoshi's Story, the humanlike Yoshi doesn't sound too bad, AS LONG as you can still play as regular Yoshi too. But I don't see any reason why there should be 2 Yoshi's in Brawl, except if you use Dr.Mario as an arguement. =P

Shuma

Smash Hero
The only diference it's the pose, and the moves of the Mario Party Yoshi are more cartoonish(and the color), but they're the same Yoshi...

SSBM Yoshi stands like a Dino, Mario Party's Yoshi stands like a "human" but it's just the pose.

DonkeySmasher

Smash Ace
it's one of nintendo's subtle things

ever since super mario world there have been two distinct styles of yoshi

for simplicity this is still the main (superdragon in japan) yoshi that befriended mario (common mistake is that yoshis are generic in reality just like toad there is one main one that is the same character throughout the games when you see a lot of them the leader is the one you know personally)

anyway the the models of yoshi is the skinny and rounder (chubby if you can't imagine) yoshi

in super mario world yoshi was in his skinny version with a long tail and neck this was created for graphical reasons because yoshi needs to be seen even when mario rides him

however in party games in which yoshi is more solitary yoshi is chubbier (height to width ratio) this is an attempt to make him more cute and wholesome

this model makes yoshi's tail and neck also shorten so he appears more round and humanlike

in melee sakurai decided to chose the original skinny version of yoshi

however since then yoshi has been seen as the chubby version (party games want him more humanlike, the recent adventure games (yoshi's island DS) wanted to make him cute besides he's only carrying babies)

i'm guessing that yosher fears this kind of yoshi since it will probably decrease yoshi's range

i personally am fine with either model since well it's yoshi (sig proves it)

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I'm not saying I dislike the humanlike Yoshi, I'm saying that it would just totally ruin him if he's like that in Brawl, unless they could somehow compensate it, which I doubt.

Modest_Egoist

Smash Journeyman
CT's worst Peach. Float Cancelling... what's that?
Yoshi will come back; I have a feeling he will be confirmed by the Dojo either next week or the week after. Like others have said before, he was one of the original Smashers, so he's gotta come back. As for his look, the other characters' have so far been changed but only in looks, so we shouldn't worry about him getting a new moveset. One thing they could add to Yoshi would be for him to be able to spit out the three Fireballs after he eats a red shell, like in Super Mario World. That would be a cool addition I could see for him.

For Yoshi's Final Smash, I agree that the Yoshi Stampede would be great for it. Maybe so it would not be easily avoided, perhaps they can have some blue Yoshis swoop in doing his Dair to take opponents by surprise.

We'll just have to wait and see though.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Yoshi will come back; I have a feeling he will be confirmed by the Dojo either next week or the week after. Like others have said before, he was one of the original Smashers, so he's gotta come back. As for his look, the other characters' have so far been changed but only in looks, so we shouldn't worry about him getting a new moveset. One thing they could add to Yoshi would be for him to be able to spit out the three Fireballs after he eats a red shell, like in Super Mario World. That would be a cool addition I could see for him.

For Yoshi's Final Smash, I agree that the Yoshi Stampede would be great for it. Maybe so it would not be easily avoided, perhaps they can have some blue Yoshis swoop in doing his Dair to take opponents by surprise.

We'll just have to wait and see though.
Actually.. with that fireball from his mouth, you just got a great idea for his FS. He eats the Smash Ball like he would a melon, and he spits fireballs all over the place, or something similar like that. I would like that much better than the Yoshi stampede personally.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
I think a Final smash would rock if it was a stampede based off of Yoshi's from super mario World.

Red Yoshi's running and spitting fireballs, Blue Yoshi's divebombing from the air, Yellow ones falling from the sky and stomping, and of course a horde of green Yoshi's running across the screen [and off the stage to their deaths like lemmings.]

That would be made of awesome.

DonkeySmasher

Smash Ace
I think a Final smash would rock if it was a stampede based off of Yoshi's from super mario World.

Red Yoshi's running and spitting fireballs, Blue Yoshi's divebombing from the air, Yellow ones falling from the sky and stomping, and of course a horde of green Yoshi's running across the screen [and off the stage to their deaths like lemmings.]

That would be made of awesome.
that is the most awesome yet

it compensates the yoshi stampede and yoshi abilities

i would love to see that but what abilities for the other yoshi colors

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
@Yosher: But wouldn't that be kinda like Mario's FS? Or maybe you mean he can run and spit fireballs? If it's the latter, it could work.
The latter could work too, but what I mentioned was spitting damaging fireballs all over the place, maybe in the same way as you'd use the Cracker Launcher.

Modest_Egoist

Smash Journeyman
CT's worst Peach. Float Cancelling... what's that?
I thought about the other Yoshi colors. Perhaps some of the pink and light blue Yoshis could turn into the different vehicles from Yoshi's Island and join the stampede that way. It would be a nice addition and pay respect to the awesome platformer series.

The latter could work too, but what I mentioned was spitting damaging fireballs all over the place, maybe in the same way as you'd use the Cracker Launcher.
Hmm. Maybe they could do a combination of both our suggestions. Being able to run and aim the fireballs. However, I could see that ability not as a FS, but as a new ability he would get by eating the red shells. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom