• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Neutral B Strategy

Is this a legit strategy?

• Total voters

gamegalaxy64

Smash Cadet
NNID
flarefusion1
3DS FC
1048-9074-1793
In For Glory Mode, if your opponent is over 100% damage, you can lure them to the ledge, use neutral B, and if it hits, it will almost always result in a K.O. Granted, if you use this strategy multiple times against the same foe they'll be able to react to it.

I've tested this out against atleast 30 opponents and it worked on almost all of them. What do you think about this strategy? Will it effect Yoshi's competitive usage? Will it have any use outside of For Glory? I would very much appreciate it if you leave a comment down below.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Pic aside, this is extremely obvious and non-scrubs don't fall for it. Your best bet is to see if you can chase them off-stage while the pressure is on, eat them while they try to recover, and jump back on yourself. Camping by the ledge just makes your intentions so transparent. I still voted yes because eating opponents to finish stocks in general is still a good idea, but you have to be quicker and more clever about it than just sitting at the ledge.

Last edited:

gamegalaxy64

Smash Cadet
NNID
flarefusion1
3DS FC
1048-9074-1793
Pic aside, this is extremely obvious and non-scrubs don't fall for it. Your best bet is to see if you can chase them off-stage while the pressure is on, eat them while they try to recover, and jump back on yourself. Camping by the ledge just makes your intentions so transparent. I still voted yes because eating opponents to finish stocks in general is still a good idea, but you have to be quicker and more clever about it than just sitting at the ledge.
Yeah, that makes more sense. Thanks for the insight. Does it seem like character stay longer in eggs this game?

Last edited:

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Yeah, that makes more sense. Thanks for the insight. Does it seem like character stay longer in eggs this game?
Like you said, it's based on damage dealt. Try fishing for it when they get near 110-120 percent and you should score KOs with it. Not easy to do, and I would definitely suggest not using your second jump until after the Egg Lay attempt, because you need to save yourself.

It they REALLY aren't careful, you could try recovering from off stage and eating them as you recover on the stage. Kind of like recovering with a low-flying d-air, only you're eating them. This has yet to work for me though.

Last edited:

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
I use the edge strategy a lot. And it works. A lot. I often roll to the edge or spot dodge when they try to hit me with a dash attack and then lick em up! What makes it work even better is I often fall off the stage when I swallow them, giving them even less of a chance to recover.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
The thing is if they are trying to avoid this they are making it easy for you to recover since they will also predictably be in the same spot while edgeguarding you. So if this "doesn't work" it means they are giving you space to recover. I like to make it look like I'll go for egg lay then just go up and around them suddenly for a free safe recovery.

Last edited:

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
The thing is if they are trying to avoid this they are making it easy for you to recover since they will also predictably be in the same spot while edgeguarding you. So if this "doesn't work" it means they are giving you space to recover. I like to make it look like I'll go for egg lay then just go up and around them suddenly for a free safe recovery.
The point is that actually trying to Egg Lay as I described is just too obvious.

Yoshi King

Smash Cadet
NNID
YoshiKing8
I agree with chipndip. I think Egg Lay is way too telegraphed to be of any significant use against anyone that actually knows how to play well and doesn't take risks. If you're coming up off the ledge, there's a multitude of better options available to Yoshi.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
I agree with chipndip. I think Egg Lay is way too telegraphed to be of any significant use against anyone that actually knows how to play well and doesn't take risks. If you're coming up off the ledge, there's a multitude of better options available to Yoshi.
It's not entirely useless, but yea. Main thing is that I think it'd be better to try to catch them off-stage with it so they just fall and lose a stock without worrying about angling a f-air.

Shiri

Smash Chump
I guess the idea that Edreeses is trying to get across is that it doesn't matter if the opponent gets grabbed by Egg Lay or not; if their response is to give you breathing room in order to avoid it, then it's helping you recover, as opposed to being an offensive move, in that scenario. The telegraphed nature would seem to help more than hurt if your opponent's response is to back away from you.

I guess when it comes to edgeguarding moves like Egg Lay and the like, you should really put the onus on your opponent to successfully see through the tactic and punish it accordingly before you decide that they already know how to do it and will do it. Make them prove that they are capable of making Egg Lay a bad idea, otherwise you're missing out on a totally exploitable opportunity.

Last edited:

ShenaniganMan

Smash Rookie
Even if it isn't a viable strategy or as good as other options, it's one of the most hilarious ways to kill someone. Slowly falling in a little egg wiggling around until they die.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
This works on a lot of characters, but as previously stated, some people will expect this. This is very fun to do though using B-sticking and Wavebouncing. When facing a player who is good, but doesn't know about these advanced techniques? Oh boy, it's hilarious. They'll see you jump away and then rapidly change direction back towards the ledge while using Neutral B. It's amazing how often this can catch people off guard, since they assume that you facing away and jumping means they can approach now.

Top Bottom