• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Needs New Moves

Brawler1432

Smash Lord
Yoshi is a fan favorite, but I now hate playing as him because some of his moves are useless.

Take his Up-B for example, does anyone actually like that move, Sakurai I think it's time you redid his moves, post your thoughts here.

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
First of all, his Up-B now ascends him a bit, which I'm sure will be pretty useful.

Second, since his Up-B makes Yoshi throw an egg, it also serves as his projectile for edgeguarding.

I do wish that Yoshi had that aerial back kick from SSB64 instead of a tail wag from Melee, though...

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

Brawler1432

Smash Lord
They should almost take some of his moves aprt and re-do them, I mean I can't even play as him cause of his move set.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Pshh, the eggs were some of Yoshi's best assets in Melee, especially when edgeguarding...

No one needs new moves really. They just need better properties (and buffing), and I agree that Yoshi's priority and range and such for some of his moves really needed help. Good thing that judging from the E for All videos, Yoshi's smaller stubbier form kept the same range in moves from Melee, which means that his tail and feet stretch out when using some attacks, such as uair, bair, nair, and dtilt. He almost looks like he's got disjointed hitboxes with those moves!

And his Up B air boost means that edge egging is much more viable. One thing's for sure: Brawl Yoshi will feel NOTHING like Melee Yoshi competitive wise...

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
From what I've seen from Yoshi players, they always spam certain attacks because the other moves are useless. But most of his moves just need to be buffed. Longer range licking, faster egg rolling and startup, better aiming system with egg throwing, and wider range for his Down B.

RoxasXIII

Smash Journeyman
they should go with something as simple as a projectile where he just fires and egg. i mean, come on!

RoxasXIII

Smash Journeyman
but, super dragon is friggin awesome. i saw it in action, and it is killer!!!!!

Jisike

Smash Journeyman
Roxas, can you please stop double posting...

anyway, yoshi's move set is fine, and since a couple of his moves got a buff, im sure he'll be decent. the only thing I'd be griping about if i were a yoshi player is the lack of his DJC, and the fact that he still can't do **** out of his shield...

Dargum

Smash Rookie
his forward b should see some more priority, also a standstill charging option for it with slightly easier steering

bigman40

Smash Master
his forward b should see some more priority, also a standstill charging option for it with slightly easier steering
I agree. It should be able to charge up like jiggly's rollout and take a lot of priority. I looked at Yoshi's moves- History behind ssbm. It was pretty good in explaning some of the moves (including the egg rollout).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be1W2n0vW1I

Akiak

Smash Ace
Well I don't have Melee but when I get Brawl I will be a Yoshi main.
I read in Gimpyfishes Brawl Impressions that most of his stats have been slightly improved.
But comparing him to other characters, is he a good character?
I plan on mastering him.

Formula1

Smash Apprentice
Yoshis pretty nice,
The eggs are not just good for edge guarding, a freind of mine catch me while I'm jumping or rolling around them pretty easily
his b could be a little toned up or you could hold it down for longer range
his forward b could use some tweaking like making it take damage like his sheild
-But the same priority and same speed, I don't want a steamroller coming at me at high speeds and theres no way around it without using some sort of dair, since some characters would have bad ones and thus no escape

But overall I don't see many problems with yoshi, he is a pretty good character

KAFOR

Smash Apprentice
I have to say, some of Yoshi's moves need to be reworked. His air attacks could be altered a tad bit. I adore his forward-B though. I could never get bushed from that bloody Egg Roll.

ZaeYeL

Smash Cadet
the egg roll is easy to disrupt and sets you for vulnerability, other than that i love his moves!!

Mr1337

Smash Cadet
I think all moves are fine expect side B. I hate the egg rollout, one of the reasons i stopped using yoshi in melee.

Chepe

Smash Lord
You kidding me? lol its not like the game forces you to use it!

D

Deleted member

Up b is one of Yoshi's best moves, every decent yoshi knows that. His foward b is terrible, needs buffs, maybe invulnerability :p Most of his moves are great, but he really needs a better grab, his is perhaps the worst in the game.

True Fool

Smash Ace
Honestly, Yoshi would only have to change two little things about him to be my main. First, make egg-toss a Forward B, and make his Up B the wings. Second, let him jump out of that pointlessly stupid shield of his, this is the biggest turn-off of Yoshi to me, I love his smashes and ariels, but his shield drives me crazy.

I loathe that stupid shield, breaks fast too. The only good thing about it is that you can't be shield-stabbed, too bad it doesn't keep them from grabbing.

Brawler1432

Smash Lord
Guys understand why I made this thread:

Yoshi is a good character, but he does have some annoying moves, I made this thread to point out what those moves are are and to discuss their flaws.

Yoshi'stheBombers7

Smash Journeyman
All of you guys need to chill and take a breather from each other's throats. If you don't like Yoshi...live with it. All of his moves (yes, all, including his roll-out) have a purpose. If that purpose is not revealed to you as it was for me, don't complain about it. Just start looking at another character to use. I like his move set the way it is, and it hasn't changed in Brawl. The only thing that could be changed is that he could use a tounge for tether recovery (which would be wierd, but interesting.) They already released that his Up B does help him recover just a tad by sending him up a little. There isn't anything to complain about, except he has no DJC.

Brawler1432

Smash Lord
CERTAIN MOVES, only CERTAIN MOVES, I don't hate Yoshi, he's playable, but my least on preferences. His Up needs a move which actually gets him up a little for instance, so can we stop the argument and talk about any moves you think need to be reworked and why, and oh don't say" there are none" all you hardcore Yoshi fans cause I'm only trying to see what would make him an easier character to play as, which also translates into a more fun brawl experience.

bigman40

Smash Master
Well the Up B gives him more air when used, so that's done. I won't lie about this, his Forward B is sort of nerfed. I thought that his rollout would have a bigger hitbox and would have better stun.

Yo'ster

Smash Rookie
The egg toss is one of my favorite moves. It probably isn't the easiest projectile for most to use, but it has always been easy for me to get it to go right where I want it. The only thing I'd enjoy in a change would be a larger explosion.

However, I haven't enjoyed his rollout-ish move. It is much too easy to be countered and doesn't give enough stun. It is often hard to use effectively. With a bit more priority and no "helplessness" after exiting it in the air I could live with it though. Preferably, I'd enjoy being able to use it in its current form with a tap, or use a Yoshi's Story style with holding the button + control stick to charge and launch. It would make Yoshi even more complicated to use, but that wouldn't change much of anything.

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
yoshi does not need moves.

1) eggs are the most versitile projectiles in the game

2) the hip drop can grab the ledge. giving you the edge all the time. It's fast to start in the air.

3) the egg roll will be much more used in brawl. with the lack of wd it could be used to get yoshi places faster.

4) the egg poop can be used to drag the foe down the stage. it also gives yoshi a free shot.

yoshi does not need new moves. i'm not a massive fan of all his moves but he is my favourite character ever and i will always use him.

iron blade

Smash Ace
they fixed a lot of things about yoshi, including his up b. the only thing he needs is his djc back.

Brawler1432

Smash Lord
yoshi does not need moves.

1) eggs are the most versitile projectiles in the game

2) the hip drop can grab the ledge. giving you the edge all the time. It's fast to start in the air.

3) the egg roll will be much more used in brawl. with the lack of wd it could be used to get yoshi places faster.

4) the egg poop can be used to drag the foe down the stage. it also gives yoshi a free shot.

yoshi does not need new moves. i'm not a massive fan of all his moves but he is my favourite character ever and i will always use him.
If ure gonna post stuff like that don't bother posting on this thread.

Chepe

Smash Lord
People are too worked up on DJC loss. For all we know, Yoshi's second jump momentum will unlock a completely more effective way to play him and we will all be laughing at our initial fears...

Yoshi'stheBombers7

Smash Journeyman
People are too worked up on DJC loss. For all we know, Yoshi's second jump momentum will unlock a completely more effective way to play him and we will all be laughing at our initial fears...
I already heard that this was true. It should offer more stratigies and it makes you less vaunerable (I think...).

Top Bottom