• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi kill moves

forwardFF

Smash Rookie
Yoshi is a strong secondary for me, but I always end up with an opponent who's just hanging around at like 125%+. It's such a momentum killer for me, and I have to force myself not to just start throwing random frustration Nairs out. There's matches where I'd like to pick Yoshi, but I know I'll struggle finishing off the stock if I do. What should my go-to moves be?

didds

Smash Lord
For floaties, Dthrow > uair is great and you can get a uair after a connected egg roll too if their percent isn't too high. I'll fish for dairs a bit more than I probably should when they're in kill percentage since it basically leads to everything. Jab > dsmash can also throw people off too if they aren't ready for it.

forwardFF

Smash Rookie
Hm, I'll try that. I probably try to go for a few too many horizontal kills, and try to force something.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
fair > uair seems pretty staple. since a DJC fair is such a good approach move, it works well at transitioning into that. dair > usmash/nair/uair is good, like didds mentioned, as well as good use of dsmash. additionally, down b can be pretty good too. the launcher hitbox comes out pretty quick, and can be used after jabs. you can also dthrow > down b sometimes i believe depending on percent/fall speed, or you can use it to tech chase on platforms. additionally, you can use to it cover the edge really quick which can hit people trying to recover.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I... don't think dthrow>downb would ever reliably work. If it works at all, they'd probably have to DI as wrong as possible, but I'm pretty sure most characters at a % where they could die to downb will be too far away after a dthrow.

... maybe Fox? On.. Halberd, or PS1?

EDIT: actually, it occurs to me that characters who would fall fast enough to stay in range probably fall too fast to die to it. I'm doubtful it'd work at all.

Last edited:

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
thats just something ive seen done before. ive never made use of it.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
Yoshi is a strong secondary for me, but I always end up with an opponent who's just hanging around at like 125%+. It's such a momentum killer for me, and I have to force myself not to just start throwing random frustration Nairs out. There's matches where I'd like to pick Yoshi, but I know I'll struggle finishing off the stock if I do. What should my go-to moves be?
Don't get nervous about getting your opponent to high percentages. Yoshi deals a ungodly amount of damage in a very short time. (some of my combos on competent players can easily wrack up 90-115%). For killing them, Nair OoS works well, D-throw to Nair or Uair are killers for most of the cast. Dair isn't easy to land, but even if you catch them with any of the hitboxes+L cancel, it pops them up with a hefty amount of hitstun. For anyone of mid^ gravity, It's a free half-charged Up-smash (guaranteed) or a jab-reset Down-smash (NOT guaranteed). For Low gravity characters, it's a free Uair. My Yoshi is all about punishment and tech chasing and mind games, I can get off a Fair (on the ground) to Uair for the kill very often. As a general rule for getting the kills, a Grab is almost always a great option, since Yoshi's D-throw has either a set distance to knock-back (or it scales really low with percentage), it sets you up for the kill on everyone but floaties. (best part about D-throw is that the hitstun increases at higher percentages, so the opponents' only option is to DI away, this sets you up for a Nair or (if you can catch them) an Uair.

Basically, Remember grabs are your best friends, and Yoshi can combo off of nearly anything.

forwardFF

Smash Rookie
Basically, Remember grabs are your best friends, and Yoshi can combo off of nearly anything.
This is very helpful. Well, everything so far has, but I've been neglecting Yoshi's grab game for sure

Scatz

Smash Champion
Just continue to play normally. Learn what setups go into your kill moves and what moves allow you to create that setup as easily and consistently as possible. Whether it be eggs, jabs, D-throw, D-air, F-air, or EggRoll (?), you can link those into which kill move is appropriate for the situation.

Top Bottom