• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Approach and OOS?

syncaster

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone. First, I would like to say that I have an adequate knowledge of tech and that I do NOT need explanations for things like DJC. However, I noticed that my approach game is very weak, and that I do not know how to respond to shield pressure as Yoshi.
Please explain and don't link me to a guide, as they don't provide adequate info in terms of things like this.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
What do you feel is weak about your approach, and what happens when you do approach?

syncaster

Smash Rookie
I'm too predictable from what other people tell me. Stemming from that, all my approaches are punished very easily. Other times, I can't even get a hit in.

BanYoshi2015

Smash Rookie
Aight here's what I think:
Approaching: Bair is pretty awesome, a lot of hitboxes so it's harder to punish, can do a pretty good amount of damage, and if you catch them in it you can end it with a U-air or jump U-air depending on how they DI and continue the combo. Fair isn't bad also, if you keep your space and fastfall L-cancel. Plus this is a great combo started, and if they try to jump and do something the hitbox covers a lot. DJC Nairs are good if they are unexpected, like jumping away then double jumping to turn around and send you momentum back towards them, but sucks if you get hit out of it haha (like all his aerials I guess). Spaced D-tilts are good and have great range. And if they are on a platform above you I love doing the jump canceled running upsmash to get my head under them.

OoS: Nothing. haha nah but not much. On platforms obviously shield dropping is a pretty good way to get away from pressure (or U-tilt out of it and it can be offensive). Light shield can slide you away from pressure. My favorite is D-smash (usually spot dodge D-smash). D-smash comes out really fast and if you can spot dodge their attack and throw it out fast it usually hits (and can kill pretty easily). More advanced methods would be like jump cancelled parrying (which would keep you from getting stuck in your shield but would require a lot more precise timing then just holding shield haha) that's all I can think of for now

BanYoshi2015

Smash Rookie
OH AND EGGS. for approaching if you can hit them with an egg it almost can always be combed into at least one more hit

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
I'm too predictable from what other people tell me. Stemming from that, all my approaches are punished very easily. Other times, I can't even get a hit in.
Do you have videos of your play or specific matchups in mind? What makes your approaches easy to punish? Is it your lack of mix-ups, predictable movement, or etc? I'm having trouble giving advice when I don't have a starting point on critiquing your neutral game.

With that said, the first thing I'd suggest is to notice how and why your approaches are getting punished and recognize any bad habits you may have that lead to that.

Last edited:

Sashimi

Smash Ace
If you are not on a platform, you don't have a shield. You have a parry.

Learning to approach properly takes a long time and is more about limiting your opponent's options rather than trying to hit them. Think about what your moves do, and how they should be used. There is a lot that goes on in the neutral game, so it is hard to answer this question without more information.

Doxy

Smash Rookie
I really enjoy approaching with bair because it spaces really well. I also find that yoshis movement in General needs to be a top priority because it really expands the approaches. For example sometimes I just wave land stupidly fast and throw out a nair. I honestly would say that approaching with Yoshi is difficult and it may be easier to focus on defense.

Top Bottom