• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi advanced stuff, non-DJC?

mooseproduce

Smash Ace
I discovered the joy of edge-cancelled egg-whoring a couple days ago (with Fumi as my inspiration ^_^). Is there any other cool stuff Yoshi can do, besides DJC and parry?

I know how to break shields with nair (when they're already worn down) and edge-cancel down+Bs, obviously. I can also edgewhöre with bair and his B (let go, DJ, do the move and regrab ledge).

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Obviously if you time it right you can DJC absorb any attack.

Jump blocking is probably yoshi's best advanced technique. It's incredibly difficult and I've only ever seen Sossy intentionally use it during games. Anyway if you hit shield and jump at exactly the same time they hit you, you'll negate their attack and jump at the same time. If you watch some Sossy vids you'll see it.

ant-d

Smash Lord
Technically speaking, "Jump block" is no different from parry or shield counter. It is a parry followed by a jump or a fast shield counter.

The difference between parry and "Jump block", apart from the misleading name, is that you can hold shield instead of tapping it.
The difference between shield counter and "Jump block" is that there's no requirement to jump. They are basically all the same.

From a human standpoint, it is advantageous to hold shield 3 frames or less before you are hit. The rest is up to the person playing. Jumping makes it a "jump block", releasing shield makes it a shield/block counter. The part that matters is the beginning <4 frames which is called parry.

mooseproduce

Smash Ace
Whuzzam!

The last thing I said basically meant:

- Hold onto the ledge.
- Let go.
- Double jump.
- Do a bair/B.
- If timed correctly, you grab the ledge again.

Bair is for edgeguarding, B is for... stage... guarding?

Anyways, how do you do the backwards ledgegrab again? I seem to remember it not being humanly possible or something... or did Isai do it once? Bah.

Doesn't ducking improve your ability to parry someone's air attack, because when you press Z the parry hitbox essentially "jumps" up from the ground? Like...

|
|
|DUCKING <- Your hitbox is short

Turns into

|PARRYING
|PARRYING <- Your hitbox is suddenly 3x as tall or whatever
|PARRYING

When the enemy is at this height:

|ENEMY
|
|

So at the frame you parry, the other guy is above your ducking hitbox, but "gets hit" by your parrying hitbox.

I've never read anything about that, but I've seen Sossi lie becrouchédly in wait for an airborne opponent, then parry the air attack and beat the poor guy up. I basically assumed that he did that to pop the parry hitbox up from the shorter crouching hitbox... seemed logical...

As of last night, I've almost mastered the eggwhöre. ^_^ There's a particular combination of [wait time after letting go of the edge 'till doublejump] and [wait time after doublejump 'till Up+B] that makes Yoshi throw the egg from under the level of the platform, as opposed to having to pop up above the platform, throwing, and falling back to the ledge. So basically, he's under the ledge the whole time, and thus cannot be projectile'd back. :)

Top Bottom