• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yooka-Laylee General Discussion

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
"Seriously, this is gonna become Yooka-Laylee General Discussion and others if we don't anything new huh"

Well, would you look at that...

What do you guys think of Yooka-Laylee? What do you want to see from it?

(If we're asking me personally, this is the game that I've had the most hope for in a long, long time and I am very excited and I donated $87 and hype.)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Here's hoping everything goes swimmingly. They have a fully functional demo from 3 months work so that's a good sign. I find Kickstarters are better the more work has gone in before hand.

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
That was fast
Looks like a great game imo
Day 1 purchase
And if you donate, you're already getting the game :)
I personally think this game, not only based on what we've already seen, but what we've been promised will definitely be a true gem. It's rare to see such dedicated developers like Playtonic, after all.

jclittle

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jiggywiggy
Super excited for this one. Especially since it is being called a spiritual successor to one of my favorite games ever, Banjo-Kazooie.
Also, have you guys seen the rumor that Jon Tron might be voicing a character. I can't say how close to true it is, but he made a new video of him walking through a studio. And Banjo-Kazooie is also a favorite of his. May not be true, but it's an interesting thought.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I pledged $10. Game looks amazing. I love the artwork and the style. I'm a huge fan of original Rare and this team so I can't wait to get this game. It's going to be a spiritual sequel to Banjo series for sure and I have a great feeling that it will feel so much like it.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
Super excited for this one. Especially since it is being called a spiritual successor to one of my favorite games ever, Banjo-Kazooie.
Also, have you guys seen the rumor that Jon Tron might be voicing a character. I can't say how close to true it is, but he made a new video of him walking through a studio. And Banjo-Kazooie is also a favorite of his. May not be true, but it's an interesting thought.
I can imagine it now...

"Echech ech echechech! ECH!"

I'm super hyped for this game and wish Playtonic the best.

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
Made by a team with a great pedigree in game development, and it's a spiritual successor to one of my favourite series of all time. I'm not surprised it's smashed it's funding cost and blown away all of it's stretch goals.

I'm very much looking forward to this.

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
See, I originally put down $535 for it...but I mean, kinda a lot for a flash drive...right?
I'm actually hoping more than anything that they don't limit a boxed version as a gift to just the PC version, as I don't really play PC (and I bet there's thousands of others like me that'd rather have a Wii U boxed edition) but I mean, they are doing okay without my extra money. Screw it, they're on a better track than Mighty No. 9 and that orchestral stretch goal is bound to go down within the next week or so.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Banjo-Kazooie is probably my favorite non-Smash game, so I'm all kinds of excite for this! I've got a lot of faith in the developers; the fact that the original team has more or less been assembled for this project is really reassuring to me. Things go awry when the decision maker changes or important people are replaced on a team. The new duo is really unique and interesting, and will surely result in some great new mechanics, even if their character designs are admittedly less inspired than the classic bear & bird.
Already wonderful tracks coming down from David Wise and Grant Kirkhope. I never thought I'd see them work together on a game soundtrack, but they're brilliant individually and have each made some of my favorite VGM of all time. My ears are ready.

Also, Yooka-Laylee avatar~

Daybreak

Busy busy busy~
NNID
DaybreakPlz
3DS FC
1091-8175-8810
Switch FC
SW-6555-9639-6872
Really excited for it as a long time Banjo-Kazooie fan. Here's a song that sounds vaguely familiar that was just released a few days prior.

A nice tune from Grant himself.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
This game looks amazing being it a successor to Banjo-Kazooie. I never played Banjo-Kazooie, but I will want to play this.

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
This game looks amazing being it a successor to Banjo-Kazooie. I never played Banjo-Kazooie, but I will want to play this.
If you ever get the chance, do, because it's one of the best platformers I've played, if not the best...Yooka-Laylee will probably top it and Tooie, though.

D

Deleted member

@Elitewarrior X, if you ever get the chance to play Banjo-Kazooie, please do! I promise you'll love it.

I'm absolutely excited for this game as Banjo-Kazooie is my all-time favorite game. October 2016 needs to hurry up and get here. ;-;

Wonderf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wonderf
3DS FC
5172-2136-8763
I think Playtonic is doing a great job with Yooka-Laylee and deserve the fantastic kickstarter. They know exactly what they are doing.
Like seriously, all the work they have done in just three months with only about seven full time workers, imagine what it will be when the game is release!

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Can't wait for this to come out. It's really good to know the Kickstarter's a success for them so far. They know what people want. I'm a long-time fan of Banjo-Kazooie, so seeing this being made just makes me super excited for it even more.

BlueZard

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tangerine1234
While I never played Banjo-Kazooie, I've heard very good things about the original N64 games and I'm definitely excited for Yooka-Laylee. I personally love the character designs, and I feel like they have great potential for moves and abilities (especially due to the natural abilities of their species). And it seems like the developers might feel the same way, as a lot of the abilities I had in mind seem to have been confirmed.

I am really happy that the Kickstarter is doing so well, and that the game is coming to many different systems. I'll most likely get the Wii U version, hopefully on Day One. This really seems like a game I'll love! I look forward to its release!

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
In this game I trust.
It could bring the whole 3D platform genre back in auge. I hope it will have all the atmosphere of the original Banjo-Kazooie bilogy for N64, but I also hope it will have some new feature the modern technology allow. And some modern humor.
Just for example: It would be fair to have the usual grass stage, desert stage, ice stage... But I think it's time to have new themes.

Last edited:

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
Gotta love that new DLC stretch goal (and the fact that they're taking a Sakurai-esque approach to it!) I have no doubt that they'll hit the goal, although it'll probably take a few weeks.

Anyone else notice that the Kickstarter closes on June 16th, the first day of E3 2015? Do you think it's possible there'll be any mention of the game, say, at that PC Gaming Show?

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
This looks like it could have so much promise. I'm really excited to see where this goes, considering how much I love the original Banjo-Kazooie. I still need to get around to Banjo-Tooie, but I'm looking forward to this too. I'm rooting for it!

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
To be honest, I think Yooka looks more like a female with that...weird eyeliner thing...

Also, that special surprise they're including with the 64-bit edition was probably made to make me hate myself for downgrading...what do you guys think it is?

finalark

SNORLAX
I've never really cared for Banjo-Kazooie, and since this was billed as it's spiritual successor I just kind of ignored it. Then I saw some game play footage in a video discussing where 3D platformers are going and was intrigued.

I've been missing 3D platformers and I'm hoping this does well. Even if Banjo isn't really my cup of tea I'll probably give this a shot. Hopefully if this is successful we'll see more 3D platformers in the future.

I'm crossing my fingers for a spiritual successor to the PS1-era Spyro games.

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
Last edited:

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544

Looks like this is where we'll deposit the "Pagies" in the hub world.

I'm liking the more detailed ground textures and the pink trees.
Also, Yooka's design is finally starting to grow on me...

FOUR DAYS until the Kickstarter closes! Don't forget to back it, they're only 100k pounds away from offering us free post-game DLC!!

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I'm keenly following this project, as Banjo-Kazooie and especially Banjo-Tooie are some of my most beloved games of all time. That screenshot of the book up there looks breathtaking; for a second there, I actually thought it was concept art. As for what I want to see in it... A rhyming villain (perhaps a genie?). It's the only thing from the Banjo games we don't already know Yooka-Laylee is going to have. Maybe a nice amiibo like the Playtonic guys teased, too.

Top Bottom