• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yo I need some good Toon Link Tactics Against Mr. Game and Watch

AchivemizzlePizzle

Smash Rookie
:)Hey guys I main TL and I am currently a little better than my friends who play Ike and Mr. Game and watch. I can beat my friend Ike now pretty easily, but i have a little more trouble with Mr. Game and Watch. It is a little more difficult but i would like to keep my place at the top and would like some tactics against my friends so if you could give me some pointers that would be awesome. Thank you for looking at my thread.

Finch

Smash Lord
Yeah, I just lost to one at a tournament who wasn't that good, but I didn't really know what to do against him. I think if you just camp and spot dodge the fair (it lags a lot) you should be alright. I could be completely wrong, but I know at least that camping works.

PXG

Smash Journeyman
Projectiles....G&W hates them. Since they're not energy based, he can't use the bucket to absorb them. Don't spam them, but use them as you jumping away to keep him off balance, and than rush in for dash, up smash, bair/ fair combos. G&W is good and quite annoying for Toon Link, but Toon Link does have the edge.

Watch out for the turtle and the key. The turtle has hit stun has does a lot of damage. The key is quick has two hits

1) the downward strike
2) when it hits the ground, it has a "shockwave" effect that hurts you if you're too close to it.

Its also hard to tell when his sidestep starts and ends. I recommend using d smash or up B. Also, make sure you get your fast falls and shielding down. Especailly the sheild. DO NOT LET GO. G&W has lot of areral priority, and he can keep you in the air with his u air. His attacks have long frames (f smash for instance) and you will think they are over before they really are.

That's pretty much it. You should do very well with those techniques.

scrubadub

Smash Rookie
Agree w/ PXG. Toon link is one of the few projectilers who G&W can't absorb. You MUST use this to your advantage. Mix up your projectiles using all three and camp for a while to try to frustrate him and get him off his game.
Once he closes in, I'd say he has a slight advantage. The turtle outranges and outprioritizes all you attacks and racks up damage quickly. A good G&W can outspace you. Sometimes you can land an easy Dair if he tries to tech chase you in the air w/ his trampoline though sometimes you trade hits... I've had mixed results w/ this.
Hope this helps...

QUIVO

Smash Master
GW has little to no lag after smashes, so don't always try to punish a missed smash.
Projectile Spam until you can get some hits in (preferably bair to combo if possible, if not nair out of shield)
Try to outspace the turtle or any of his moves really
Watch out for dthrow to smash
You can sometimes out-prioritize his dair, but don't always go for it unless you know you can get it on time, and have it out for a bit.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
One of the main problems is G&W's Dair has no lag, so we expect to do what people do to TL's Dair, ready a Fsmash, but he usually stops it. Just keep that in mind.

I also agree with the Hit and Run tactic described earlier in the thread. G&W has some moves that LAST, and that is NOT GOOD for Toon Link. Spacing is definitely going to be a big part of dealing with G&W.

Top Bottom