• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yo. I have returned :] (Video included)

runningbrave

Smash Journeyman
runningbrave here. For those that don't know me...

I started playing Smash when it was released on the N64. I was introduced to DC++ in 2004 and fell in love with the competitive play-style thanks to DBR and videos such as Shined Blind. My first tournament exposure was in Dallas at MOAST 3 (Isai beat Ken in the finals)!

I saw my first big gains throughout my freshman year of school in Colorado. There I became comfortable with the basics (fastfalling, Lcancelling). I mained Marth during this time and played nearly everyday.

Upon returning to Texas in 2007 I reunited with long-time friends and really started to see gains. I picked up Fox and placed as high as 4th on several occasions behind the regular top 3 at the time: 1) bluezaft 2) DoH 3) Melee1. My crew, the herbivores, although little known, had a rep for offense, speed and creativity (we are all stoners hue hue). Honestly, all my mates are far better than I am. We have boomstick & pootTheBox (who have returned and are once again among the best in Dallas). The other old schoolers in the crew are Reckon, Rage, leapinghare and the late CloakandDagger (RIP). This era of significant improvement lasted from 2007-2010. My crew and I all picked up LoL and took a long hiatus from a competitive scene on life-support.

Fast forward to 2013. During the summer I spent a month backpacking in western Europe and had the pleasure of meeting so many smashers along the way {shout-outs to Paris, Lyon and Zurich}! I was so surprised to see such strong scenes in Europe. During this time I played Mr. G&W because he was the only character that my fingers could keep up with.

Fast forward another year and here we are. I have always put in work improving Mr. Game & Watch and am not in smash shape enough to control Fox and Falco so I am now proclaiming myself as a Mr. Game & Watch main. A couple of weeks ago I attended a weekly here in Pittsburgh and performed quite well for not playing in a year. Disclaimer: This is only one successful set in the bracket. I got my ass handed to me numerous times in both pools and in the bracket (and lost every match at the next one :/ emotional/personal johns) Shout-outs to PGH for the all the fun =]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0W-dNFPJS8

G&W is a ****ty character. I don't see anyone pulling an amsa Red Yoshi and taking this guy through majors with great success due to the fact that he is SO bad. However, I do feel that he is semi-competitive and worth a look!

I have learned so much about the character over the years and although I am far from the best I guarantee I know things about Mr. Game & Watch that almost no one else does. I want to promote this knowledge and hopefully see you all improve. I will be ordering a wii2hdmi converter soon so that I can play on my hella-fast, lageless LED. Once that arrives I will put in work and take G&W to the next level.

Ask me questions. Share your knowledge. Let's all have fun and improve!

Last edited:

Crezyte

Smash Apprentice
Good to see you. I am curious as to this GnW knowledge that we don't currently know yet. I wouldn't completely agree on the fact the he is semi-competitive (I have nearly taken sets off of Porkchops a.k.a. "Clay" and Lambchops a.k.a. "White Boy Wasted the one time I played them. It was 1-2 both times and I could've easily played better. Last stock situations also if that helps your understanding).

runningbrave

Smash Journeyman
Crezyte, perhaps I worded this wrong. This 'knowledge' may actually be known (?) by others and not applied or maybe others have incorporated these things and I am just ignorant.

Let me get right into it:

The bacon - As we all know, bacon is not eggs, turnips or bombs. Bacon is certainly no laser. Bacon can be used to preserve space on stage and to limit opponents recovery options. All of that^ is fairly obvious but bacon serves another more important purpose, bacon is best for your own recovery. Think of it as something like a Mario fireball or a Doc pill. Toss out 1, 2 or even 3 strips to ensure that upB onto the ledge. This is the best use for bacon. Recovery bacon forces your opponent to take stocks from the stage rather than get you with that edgegaurd. This does not guarantee recovery but it does increase your chances of survival. This is also dependent on your DI and the stage you are playing on. Desirable DI from horizontal knockback is upward and the desirable stage is Dreamland 64 (naturally, due to Mr. G&W's weight).

The Lemon, thanks for following! I encourage you to contribute to the discussion!

Last edited:

runningbrave

Smash Journeyman
OH, how could I not start with this?!

Currently known as the 'runningbrave special' or simply 'the runningbrave' because I am obviously not creative when it comes to naming combos.

BAIR to NAIR as an edgeguard vs ALL characters is simply the BEST. I have been doing this for ages now just so you know (if I may boast, heh heh). Without a doubt this works and MUST be respected. I guarantee this will and should become a thing for all you GnDubs out there. The bair can't be Lcancelled so don't land on a surface with it, please. It does have a set (or maybe nearly set?) knockback distance vs all characters which is not far at all so it is a perfect lead for a nair. I try to use this AT LEAST ONCE EVERY match. No one will convince me to NOT use bair to nair and until I see a consistent counter to it I will continue to use this as an edgeguard. Speaking of counter, even if you smash DI the bair in any given direction how can one escape the massive nair hitbox?!

Just use it.

Trust.

Last edited:

runningbrave

Smash Journeyman
Haha, pardon me if it wasn't clear but I meant specifically:

jump off stage > touch them with bair > second jump > nair.

Edge cancelling bair to nair is EXTRA dirty haha. However, I am at a loss as to whether this would actually work or not. The bair would knock them slightly up at first and the nair hitbox wouldnt come out until you were far below them unless you jumped of course.

Also, I was an edge cancel activist long before it became a thing. Actually, I doubt that it is a thing yet save for maybe tricks like Falco's sideB. I mean I see numerous matches from top tier players where they accidentally edge cancel an aerial then accidentally air dodge when the intention was to Lcancel said aerial. This leads me to believe that many people don't actively go for edge cancels mid-fight on the stage as a tactic.

For proof of the tactical edge cancel check out that video in the first post. I used an edge cancel to clutch out the final stock of the second match.

Also...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz41ybDkK9Q

Laughable really. I should redo this^ cause. EW.

Last edited:

Reckon

Smash Apprentice
SHOUT OOOOOOOUT!

Runningbrave has seriously legit skills.
I'm saddened he can't rep in Dallas more often but he delivered a hurt on some well ranked and respected Dallas smashers.

I look forward to more exposure of our favorite 2-D terror, Game and Watch.

QERB

Banned via Warnings
I realllly like the b-air n-air edgeguards. They're not necessary to edge-guard falcon, but it's super stylish and it doesn't look very risky at all, it looked like falcon was in hit-stun for allllllmost the entire time between the b-air/n-air, plus it makes a BIG statement. Definitely gonna dabble with that, I'll remember to call it the runningbrave haha

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
Also, I was an edge cancel activist long before it became a thing. Actually, I doubt that it is a thing yet save for maybe tricks like Falco's sideB. I mean I see numerous matches from top tier players where they accidentally edge cancel an aerial then accidentally air dodge when the intention was to Lcancel said aerial. This leads me to believe that many people don't actively go for edge cancels mid-fight on the stage as a tactic.
I totally agree. I purposely go for edge cancels. Falcon I think greatly benefits from it. I've even gotten double knees because of edge canceling. I love that technique so much. I almost never see people go for them and when I use edge canceling people recognize it. So they know it exists. I don't understand why they don't work it into their game. I can see that it's kinda gimmicky but people can't really react to it and it's not like one can't do some mixups with it. I think edge canceling G&W's bair is one of my favorite things to do. Get just a few hits in and then I'm free to do just about anything.

I'd really like to know your position on Judgement. I have really good luck with Judgement and I find a lot of G&W's moves naturally combo into it. So long as you pay attention to the numbers you can make some big money plays. This is just in a friendly match so excuse the pauses for dramatic effect. Both 9s were in the same match. I think Judgement is a good move. Maybe too risky for tournament matches, though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom