• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yet another totally useless technique

joenm8r

Smash Cadet
I was practicing my thunder storming last night.

I'm successful with it. I'm using a nun-chuck setup so I have no c-stick, I'm performing it with D-pad down to jump and A to attack. Its pretty easy and closely matches the feel of a standard cube controller. I use a little rolling motion with my thumb. I just had a little trouble moving horizontally while doing it.

So anyway, I was messing around with other aerials while using this technique and I noticed something strange:

If I held the stick all the way up I would get an up smash. I tried it again and again with the stick held in place, continuous up smashes. I didn't get my desired effect, an extremely low short hopped U-air, until I brought the stick back to about 50% of the upward tilt.

At first I thought this was some quirk of my custom control setup so I tested it out on a cube controller and reproduced the same results. Next I tested it on other characters, ditto. I only really tried it on Link, but I'm confident its a consistent UT (useless technique) among all characters.

One thing I did notice is it was very easy to chain U-smashes using IASA frames. The timing is about identical to thunder storming and it feels like less finger work for me. So maybe this isn't TOTALLY useless, just mostly useless, a MUT if you will.

Top Bottom