• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yet another critique thread

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
I figure if everyone else can do one, so can I.

Unfortunately, I have a combo video in the making, so I can't put up any matches that have combos i'm using in them. That means I can't really up any of my good matches, because all of those have potential combo vid material in them. So I'm stuck with upping matches with combos that i ****ed up or something, or just played pretty well in, but still give a general idea of my falcon.

Ignore the SDs, and don't tell me stuff like "I need to work on l-canceling" or something. I know what basics I need to practice, I'm just looking for advice like "It would be good to tech chase like this" or "This move is better option that what you're doing because of..."

So without further ado, three matches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVoUZzsng44
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMU-eUss5SI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeqLXAn6zF8

Thanks in advance!

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Ok, well, for the first video, in the beginning, you really nair spammed a lot, which is really dangerous against a Fox and especially so against one at low percentage. Try to see if you could've just tried to trick him out and go for a grab in the middle of something like that. Also, you naired a Fox who was crouching before you even jumped. It would probably help to recognize that and go for a knee or stomp, or even empty short hop and grab instead.

After the dtilt at 1:15, you could've grabbed instead of jumping away. Also, with those stomps before, you should try to get in the habit of grabbing after stomps that land on Fox in the 25% - 60% range.

Personally, I've been trying to reserve my side-B use to only tech chases against Foxes. It's just way too easy for them to beat it out if they're in the position to. I really liked the cc dsmash against the shine though, ha ha. I wonder what percentage that works until?

Second video:

Missed a possible upsmash/grab after you landed the raptor boost, and you also raptor boosted an already crouching Fox. It's pretty hard in the thick of it, but you have to pay attention to whether your opponent is already ccing. Then you raptor boost several times. You should really avoid using raptor boost so many times in such a short period (I do that sometimes myself, I don't know why).

This is more of a general suggestion than a criticism, but I've been thinking for tech chasing spacies, if you grab them at low percents, it's probably best to dthrow them, since it's harder for them to tech then and possibly letting you rack on some good damage or a kill. At mid - high percents though, you can try uthrowing for the most part, since it'll give you more time to tech chase at those percentage, unless, of course, you think they'll miss their tech or you're at/near the edge.

So, yeah, after the third video, all I can pretty much say is don't use raptor boost so much, ha ha. It's a habit I have to break as well.

ORLY

Smash Master
Like Reaver said, I'd suggest not raptor boosting so much. Yes, it feels good and fast but it's got a wind up time that anyone worth their mettle will bait, space you out, and punish you for it. It's a habit a lot of Falcons have to break before they can really bring the pain.

Also: pay more attention to your opponent's tech habits. Most of the time, he was teching into you. When he's lying on the ground and you'd approach with a short-hopped aerial, he'd roll into you and escape. Try mixing it up against that kind of play by DDing close to put pressure on him or with an empty short hop and bait out that roll. If a Fox techs at you at anywhere from 50 - 100%, he's in a lot of trouble when you predict it with a stomp.

Top Bottom