• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yellow Pikmin Usage

Valand43

Smash Rookie
So, as someone that mains Olimar and tries his hardest at Pikmin management, I've been wondering if there are any situations where a yellow pikmin is absolutely preferred over the other colors.

I recognize yellows have a slightly bigger hitbox and a longer hitsun, their arc when thrown, and their resistance.
Usually when I'm mid-battle though, I don't see what they offer over others though besides maybe using their trajectory to go over projectiles/snipe people recovering on stage while I go to edgeguard.

If anyone would like to shed some light on key situations or examples of where I'd want to whistle a yellow to the front, it'd be much appreciated!
-Valand-

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Easier for comboing at lower percent due to increased hitstun. Also having larger hitboxes mean if the opponent isn't aware you can catch them with a move that wouldn't hit with other colors due to spacing.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
It's just way easier to hit literally anyone you're fighting. If you're not in kill percents, yellows are amazing. Use them to rack up damage that isn't with side B. Just because reds hit harder doesn't mean having reds against your opponent at %20 is great. Yellows are your friends, learn to incorporate them into your game.

Valand43

Smash Rookie
Thank you for the quick responses, my friends. I'll try and incorporate them as suggested. Even simply explained, I think I understand how to better go about things. :)

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Most of the time I don't filter my line for certain colors unless I really need a certain color for say a kill throw. I find it to be much easier to use what you have plucked on hand and base your combos off of that. Though that doesn't mean you can't decide to filter out certain ones.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Most of the time I don't filter my line for certain colors unless I really need a certain color for say a kill throw. I find it to be much easier to use what you have plucked on hand and base your combos off of that. Though that doesn't mean you can't decide to filter out certain ones.
Depending on the match up I will chuck my first red off the side of the map and pluck a white for better camping potential. I feel like personal playstyles are really really important as an Olimar main. You just have to figure out what works for you. Olimar isn't a simple character to play in this game and you've just got to put in the time to get good and competent at the character. I've heard countless times that "Every Olimar is such a different fight" and I tend to agree. I love yellows, while other might not even give them a second thought. It really depends on how you play.

GoT

Smash Rookie
So, as someone that mains Olimar and tries his hardest at Pikmin management, I've been wondering if there are any situations where a yellow pikmin is absolutely preferred over the other colors.

I recognize yellows have a slightly bigger hitbox and a longer hitsun, their arc when thrown, and their resistance.
Usually when I'm mid-battle though, I don't see what they offer over others though besides maybe using their trajectory to go over projectiles/snipe people recovering on stage while I go to edgeguard.

If anyone would like to shed some light on key situations or examples of where I'd want to whistle a yellow to the front, it'd be much appreciated!
-Valand-
Because of the extended hitbox, it's also easier to get both hits of dsmash at the same time if you use a yellow pikmin on the side away from your opponent.Yellows are also better for 2 frame punishes (with dair or dsmash). Thirdly, you'll prob have more untechable stage spike situations bc of the increased hit stun.

Last edited:
Top Bottom