• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yea-or-Nay! 10-Characters-a-Day Poll [RESULTS ARE UP]

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
For day 2, there were only 3;

Wolf returning is indeed something I hope. An updated Wolf? That would be perfect.

Balloon Fighter is part of my most wanted characters. Imagining the air-game focus on his moveset would make him very unique, and fun, if air- is your game, that is.

Dig Dug is the last one I'd be ok with. As he is an iconic arcade character from Namco, I would not mind, but it's not a big want necesserally.

D

Deleted member

Pious Augustus - Nay, I don't think horror characters fit into Smash
Paper Mario - Soft yay, he's popular and I don't really have anything against him, but Ihave no attachment to him
Rex - Soft yay, see above
Ashley - ^
Impa - Soft nay, meh
Tiki - Soft yay, I haven't really put that much thought into that but a character that can transform into a Dragon could be pretty unique (It's more cosmetic for Corrin imo)
Itsuki - Nay, this isn't Fire Emblem, this is some idol **** that I don't care for
Lip - Nay, nothing about her appeals to me
Reckless Wii Guy - Hard nay, this meme isn't funny and never was
Young Link - Nay, we already have him :4tlink:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Yes to Impa. Although her Breath of the Wild iteration isn't really suited for Smash, after playing Hyrule Warriors, I think she would be incredible to see in-game.

Like Lampy, I gave some "soft yays" to Paper Mario and Rex. Paper Mario I wouldn't mind as long as Dr. Mario doesn't return or is made an alternate. Rex I wouldn't mind seeing in Smash, but wouldn't mind not seeing him either.

No to everyone else.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Yay's for Rex Augustus and Paper Mario
Nay's to all the rest

Paper Mario I wouldn't mind as long as Dr. Mario doesn't return or is made an alternate.
See I really don't understand this mentality, Dr. Mario is an alternate costume as per Sakurai's own confession so what difference does it make if he gets his own space? He's in the game regardless, a separate slot from his base character really shouldn't matter. Especially since the other slot is just there to make the roster look a little bigger. If we don't count the Koopalings and Alph as separate characters why should Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario count?

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Yay to Lip, nay to everything else. Absolutely none of these characters are anywhere near as interesting, Lip has more history than all of them, and I don't even see why "Reckless Wii Guy" is even an option. It's just a dumb meme.

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Ashley: Yea - I always welcome unique magic users (hence my tag), and Ashley is the most notable WarioWare rep.

Impa: Yea - Especially if they make her like either SS or HW.

Tiki: Yea - FE needs more weapon variety, and she's the most iconic Manakete; Additionally, like Marth and Anna, she is a character that expands beyond her original game and feels more like a general FE series rep to me. However, I would only like her if they cut Corrin. FE has a ton of characters atm.

Pious Augustus: Nay - Never played ED; he might be cool, but I'd have other characters I recognize.

Itsuki Aoi: Nay - FE doesn't need a spinoff rep imo.

Lip: Yea - Panel De Pon is a classic series, and I could see Lip getting an interesting moveset

Paper Mario: Nay - I love the PM series to death, but I don't play them for Mario; I play them for their stories and original settings/characters. I don't see Paper Mario capturing that for me, and I think Mario could use other characters instead, like Pauline/Cappy, Captain Toad, or Waluigi.

Reckless Safety Notice Man: Nay - Joke character whose window has passed; I think WFT fills that Wii-era quirkiness role better.

Young Link: Yea - However, only if they declone him and give him mask transformations. They could also pull a HW and give him a mechanic with the Fierce Deity Mask.

Rex: Yea - Relevant, and I could see an interesting mechanic with him and Pyra.

Troykv

Smash Master
Yea to Ashley, Impa, Lip, Paper Mario and Rex (but with Pyra).

Nanay to the rest.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Ashley: Yay
I like her, Wario deserves a second rep, and her moveset could be cool.

Impa: Yay
It's about time, honestly. At the very least she should be a costume for Sheik.

Tiki: Hard Nay
No more Fire Emblems.

Pious Agustus: Soft Nay
I wouldn't really care either way, but being 3rd party pushes me toward the "nay" side.

Itsuki Aoi: Hard Nay
No more Fire Emblems.

Lip: Yay
Puzzle League deserves a rep.

Paper Mario: Hard Yay
His series may suck now, but we'll always have the old ones. I love Paper Mario and he definitely deserves a spot.

Reckless Saftey Notice Man: Yay
The Wii Fit Trainer got in the game, might as well add a literal joke character.

Young Link: Nay
I'm already heavily opposed to Toon Link on concept (it's a huge rant but TL;DR being separate characters is making them weaker and Sakurai should just buff up Link Ala PM and give TL a completely new moveset based off the 2D games + WW), there's no way I'd want a third Link. Though, he'd be cool as a costume for Toon.

Rex: (Monolith)Soft Yay
Why not?

Morbi

Scavenger
There are a lot of characters that I want today!

Ashley: I do not know much about her to be completely honest. I just enjoy her design and want to see magic done well in the game. Beyond that, more female characters would be a priority of mine.

Impa: She is the most practical choice for Legend of Zelda, and recently, they are making her more and more exciting. I was never a huge fan back in OoT, but in hindsight, she was bad in a good way.

Tiki: Dragon and a FE character that appears more than once? Sign me up.

Paper Mario: I used to be against him because Game and Watch, and then I realized that was stupid and that Paper Mario is amazing. I really want to play his game, but even without doing so, I can already see his vast potential. And he is much cuter than Mario.

Young Link is my dream character, specifically Masked Link, but even him returning as a clone would be the best. The Hero of Time is probably my favorite Nintendo character and the reason I ever got into Smash.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Ashley (WarioWare series)
...Yea? I mean I'd like her but not love her in Smash

Impa (Legend of Zelda seires)
YEA!!!!!!!!! Impa could do amazing (and no not as a Sheik clone, please play Hyrule Warriors)

Tiki (Fire Emblem series)
Yea, Corrin already fits the shapeshifter type but Tiki is way cooler

Pious Augustus (Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem)
Nah, never played Eternal Darkness

Itsuki Aoi (Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE)
Yea just because Tokyo Mirage Sessions is wonderful (tho Kiria or Tsubasa are better choices)

Lip (Panel de Pon)
Yea I guess, retro characters from puzzle games are always nice

Paper Mario
Yea BUT I think Mario has a slew of better characters, from RPGs even (Fawful, Geno, Mallow etc)

Reckless Safety Notice Man (Every Wii Game)
Yea just because I love wtf characters

Young Link (Legend of Zelda series) (Returning)
Yea if he's actually Majora's Mask Link (changing between the masks), Nay if he's just like Melee, Toon Link already fits the bill

Rex (Xenoblade Chronicles series)
It's... Both? I mean Rex could be cool but Xeno2 and XenoX have way better characters

Fane

Smash Journeyman
Ashley
-Yay, she'd be a good fit in Smash and help Wario stand out as his own series rather than just being labelled 'another Mario character'.

Impa
-Yay, we need another LoZ rep and Impa would be neat. Though I feel like she'd get the Ganondorf treatmeant and just be a Sheik semi-clone.

Tiki
-Nay, while a Manakete would be a cool addition in Smash, I don't think Tiki is very prominent or fits the bill enough. Plus we have other popular FE characters that deserve a spot more than her like Azura.

Pious Augustus
-Nay, no clue who that is.

Itsuki Aoi
-Nay, no clue who that is, yet again.

Lip
-Nay, she might be a neat addition as a retro character, but I feel she'd just be lacking overall and be pretty bland.

Paper Mario
-Nay, we don't need a third Mario.

Reckless Safety Notice Man
-Nay, ???

Young Link
-Nay, you mean Toon Link? ;)

Rex
-Yay, we need another Xenoblade rep and I think Rex would be a great option.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Today's Character
Ashley (WarioWare series)

Impa (Legend of Zelda seires)

Tiki (Fire Emblem series)

Pious Augustus (Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem)

Itsuki Aoi (Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE)

Lip (Panel de Pon)

Paper Mario

Reckless Safety Notice Man (Every Wii Game)

Young Link (Legend of Zelda series) (Returning)

Rex (Xenoblade Chronicles series)
Yay to Ashley, Lip and a Young Link with masks moveset. Paper Mario would also be cool and Rex is just 100% in so yay as well.

I’m not decided on Impa so nay. Same with Pious (would rather have Alexandra).

Tiki... nay, don’t really know why.

I never beat Tokyo Mirage Sessions so I cant really support that guy.

Who the hell suggested Warning Guy?

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Yay to Impa as a way to fuse Sheik and Zero Suit into a single, actually relevant character.
Yay to Paper Mario as a unique and mildly humourous Mario variant.
Nay to Pious Augustus because he'd feel even more out of place than Snake, even if I did Like his game a lot.
Nay to Rex because he's the dull protagonist of a game with plenty of other, much better characters.
And nay to the rest out of pure disinterest.

Ashley
-Yay, she'd be a good fit in Smash and help Wario stand out as his own series rather than just being labelled 'another Mario character'.
This reminds me, can we get the stalk from Yoshi's Island for a future day? Yoshi needs a second rep, IMO, and it's either him or a generic like Shy Guy.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Ashley
YES!

Impa
Yes! She's one of my top picks. I'd like her even if she was just Sheik with a new look.

Tiki
no. I don't care about her. Also half the pictures of her I see make me think I'm looking at Terra from Final fantasy.

Pious Augustus
YES! He's one of my top choices, which despite what some people are commenting, IS a Nintendo property. it's also probabaly the best Survival Horror game there is.

Itsuki Aoi
I neither know nor do i care who this is.

Lip
... eh... I'd be okay if she got in, but I'm not going out of my way to support her. Put me down for NO

Paper Mario
Yes. I'm surprised he hasn't gotten in already.

Reckless Safety Notice Man
No and anyone who tells you they want him in is lying.

Young Link
nah. Young Link or Toon Link. We only need one and Toon is more visually striking

Rex
Not a big Xenoblade fan, so put me down for no.

and because I missed day 2....

Fatal Frame series Rep
I'm going to rant for a second here. I hate Hate HATE when people make their own rosters or suggest characters and put things like "such and such series rep" or "a character from the next whatever." Look, this is your roster. You're trying to tell em who you want. PICK A CHARACTER!

Kalas
nope

Starman
No. if we're adding regualr enemies, I'd rather have a moblin or a koopa troopa.

Jin Kazama
No. I don't think anybody from Tekken deserves a spot.

Balloon Fighter
I'm okay if he gets in. I'm okay if he doesn't... eh... put me down for Yes

Dig Dug
I might just be the biggest retro fan here and even I think Dig Dug is out of place.

Bubbles
Don't care about this character

Wolf
Nope.

Tamagon
nah.

Sora.
I guess. Sure... BUT only if it's original game Sora and NO alts of other characters.

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
1. Ashley: Yea
2. Impa: Nay
3. Tiki: Nay
4. Pious Augustus: Nay
5. Tsuki Aoi: Nay
6. Lip: Nay
7. Paper Mario: Yea
8. Reckless Safety Notice Man: Nay
9. Young Link: Nay
10. Rex: Yea

Oddball

Smash Lord
Just curious but why? KH1 Sora is a ridiculous looking Sora.
Pretty much all his looks are ridiculous if you want to get down to it. It's just the first game gave him a nice mix of Disney style and JRPG "over-designed-ness" before the RPG elements stuff started to take priority and his look lost all the actual style and energy it had.

PreedReve

Smash Journeyman
This reminds me, can we get the stalk from Yoshi's Island for a future day? Yoshi needs a second rep, IMO, and it's either him or a generic like Shy Guy.
I can only tell you that there's two Yoshi-series characters on my List-of-Characters.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Pretty much all his looks are ridiculous if you want to get down to it. It's just the first game gave him a nice mix of Disney style and JRPG "over-designed-ness" before the RPG elements stuff started to take priority and his look lost all the actual style and energy it had.
Well, I appreciate the response and that's a good point it does incorporate everything the series is about. But if I were to have Sora in Smash I'd only want his KH2 outfit it's the best looking and actually looks really good IMO.

Fane

Smash Journeyman
I disagree, I think Poochy would be the best bet for a Yoshi's Island rep. Since his first appearance he's solely been in Yoshi's Island games barring his brief and most recent appearance in Super Mario Odyssey.

Either that or Kamek, but Kamek has constant appearances in Super Mario Bros. games, so that wouldn't help Yoshi's Island stand out as a series itself.

Really the issue lies with the creators not really taking creative liberties with the series in terms of unique characters and enemies. They're mostly all just generics and such taken straight from Super Mario Bros.

andimidna

Smash Master
I would be ecstatic for Tiki. I used to really hype her up before Corrin, since Dragons are huge to FE. Obviously she’s different than Corrin and has a longstanding role in the series, with more potential to appear, but I don’t see it. Especially with 2 sets of new protagonists (Celica & Alm/ FE Switch).
I don’t see why they’d pick a 2nd character from the Wario series, but sure. Ashley’s cool.
While Impa isn’t my first pick from Zelda, I’d totally welcome her, and she deserves it. She’s a likable mainstay with so much to pull from.
Lip would be sweet. That’s a total toss up, but an idea I’ve always liked.
I’m neutral to Paper Mario and Rex etc, so I didn’t vote for them

Edit: I really hate the idea of a 3rd Link, more than a unique 3rd Mario. The Zelda representation is such a mess in Smash. Toon Link barely even deserves to count as a newcomer in Brawl. Honestly, Charizard was more of a newcomer in Smash 4 than TLink was in Brawl. Toon Link is a Link that is young. His moves were still the same, he just got a redesign, just like every other Zelda character in brawl. He’s only really a newcomer because he has a different name. But Charizard kinda did all that and actually got significant movese changes tbh
W/e
Paper Mario deserves stages, trophies, an assist, music, etc. It needs love, but a fighter is the wrong route imo. I’ll never understand how people get excited over the idea of Mario swinging that mallet. ICs, Dedede, and even Kirby for one move use the same weapon. How is that exciting? And there’s already a flat character. I have no idea how the rest of the party would fit in, but none of it seems really interesting to me in terms of a fighting style.
Reckless Safety Man is a bad meme
I don’t know the other 2

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm going to rant for a second here. I hate Hate HATE when people make their own rosters or suggest characters and put things like "such and such series rep" or "a character from the next whatever." Look, this is your roster. You're trying to tell em who you want. PICK A CHARACTER!
OH MY GOD THIS
Mind if I put this in my sig?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Yay to Impa, Tiki, Lip and Rex.

Impa's in my top five most wanted(Hyrule Warriors style hopefully), Tiki is one of the few Fire Emblem characters I feel deserves an appearence having been in both Marth AND Robin's games.
Lip...well I just love puzzle games honestly...and Rex...well I guess I'm down with Xenochronicles getting another character even if I have never played it.

Paper Mario would have been a yay but I've not enjoyed a Paper Mario game since Thousand Year Door and I know full well they'll draw from the likes of Sticker Star and Color Splash rather than the fun of using various partners.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Ashley: Yay
I think she'd be a fun addition. WarioWare has a few other excellent choices (9-Volt, Crygor, Mona), but Ashley is my personal fave.

Impa: Nay

Tiki: Nay

Pious Augustus: Nay

Itsuki Aoi: Nay

Lip: Nay

Paper Mario: Yay
For the umpteenth time: no brainer.

Reckless Safety Notice Man: Nay

Young Link: Nay

Rex: Nay

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I disagree, I think Poochy would be the best bet for a Yoshi's Island rep. Since his first appearance he's solely been in Yoshi's Island games barring his brief and most recent appearance in Super Mario Odyssey.
Either that or Kamek, but Kamek has constant appearances in Super Mario Bros. games, so that wouldn't help Yoshi's Island stand out as a series itself.
I had forgotten about Poochy and, while I have no idea what he would do, he could at the very least fit in as a yoshi series assist trophy. If anyone can show me a decent moveset for him, I'd happily support a character thread, too.

Kamek, however, I lump in with the white shy guy as a generic, since she's nothing more than a named instance (and often not even that anymore) of a slight variation on the koopa race. A magikoopa, to be specific.

D

Deleted member

Yay to Knuckles. He's cool even if I prefer Eggman.
Nay to Tiz Arrior, I have no idea who he is
Yay to Tails, he's my favorite Sonic character but I'd still rather have Eggman or Knuckles.
Nay to Isa, Saki first
Nay to Apollo, literally what the hell? No way is he getting in before Phoenix.
Yay to Takamaru, draw and sheate + shuriken sounds fun
Nay to Ristar, too obscure
Nay to Banjo Kazooie. They're owned by Microsoft.
Nay to Todd Snap, I never saw the appeal of Pokemon Snap
Nay to 2B, she never had any appearence on a Nintendo console.

Side note: Most of the characters in those polls seem like longshots in terms of chance, with very few choices that are actually popular within the community.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Yay to Takamaru and Isa because they're cool
1000000000 yays to Banjo because I need it more than oxygen
nays to the rest because I don't care about them

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Only Takamaru and Banjo.

Ristar definitely doesn’t merit a third party, Sonic’s enough for his series, Saki should be in instead of Isa, Phoenix should be in instead of Apollo and 2B is too associated with PlayStation. If Bravely Default gets someone in it should be Agnes. Todd Snap is weird because I love his game but I just don’t see him in.

Last edited:

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Ristar: Nay
Nothing to do with Nintendo.

Knuckles: Hard Yay
If Eggman doesn't get in, I want Knuckles.

Tiz Arrior: Soft Yay
Eh, I guess. The series is Nintendo exclusive, even if it is 3rd party.

Banjo & Kazooie: Yay
Why not, they're really popular and they've earned it. I don't care either way, though.

Todd Snap: Soft Nay
I love Pokemon Snap, but come on.

Tails: Hard Nay
I hate Tails, he has no personality and he has the least moveset potential of any character.

Isa Jo: Soft Nay
Saki should be first.

Apollo Justice: Soft Nay
Phoenix should be first.

Takamaru: Hard Nay
The Takamaru idiots have annoyed me to the point where I'm rooting against him out of spite. I still think 90% of them haven't even played Murasame Castle and are just rooting for him because they want to be on the hype train but don't have anyone they genuinely want in Smash.

2B: Nay
Nothing to do with Nintendo.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Slow day, today. There were a few characters that I expect, such as Takamaru. And I would not mind a second Sonic character, my preference is Shadow, however. But there was definitely one (two) that stood out.

Banjo and Kazooie. Young Link might have been my dream character, but that time has past. The inherent issue with Banjo is that his time has not past. Well, it has, but Sakurai could at any time choose to include him, but he will not. I have no idea why Nintendo seems to have a strange resentment toward Rare or a completely misguided perspective on what "competitor" means, as some other people point out, either way, it is not rational. Banjo is one of the most Nintendo characters they could add, and he is not even Nintendo. His move-set is so iconic and easily foreseeable. You can practically just port it directly into Smash. That is what hurts the most. It is an "impossible" character that is ENTIRELY possible and you have to imagine if anyone else was in charge, it would have happened already. I wanted it as a consolation prize for the 64 era. It might happen, but I am not holding my breath.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Ristar
Nay, he's cool but not for Smash

Knuckles (Sonic the Hedgehog series)
Yay, I guess if they wanted to put a second Sonic character, Knuckles would be the best

Tiz Arrior (Bravely Series)
Nay, haven't played it, and if we want Square characters, put Geno or Black Mage before

Banjo & Kazooie (Banjo-Kazooie series)
Nay, unless if he getting in Smash meant a new game on Nintendo consoles, but that ain't happening

Todd Snap (Pokemon series)
Nay, how would he even fight?

Tails (Sonic the Hedgehog series)
Yay, but I prefer Knuckles

Isa Jo (Sins & Punishment series)
YAAAAAAAAY S&P needs some love, in a ideal world, Saki, Airan, Isa and Kachi would be alt costumes of each other in a Smash game

Apollo Justice (Ace Attorney series)
Yay but as an alt for Phoenix I guess? That could work

Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle)
Yay, we haven't had a samurai in Smash

2B (NieR: Automata)
Nay, has nothing to do with Nintendo and Platinum has other games that are closely tied to Nintendo to pick from

Fane

Smash Journeyman
Ristar
Nay, no clue who this is.

Knuckles
Nay, don't care for anymore Sonic reps that aren't Shadow.

Tiz Arrior
Nay, never played the Bravely series.

Banjo/Kazooie
Nay, I'd rather have Yooka/Laylee.

Todd Snap
Nay, Pokemon spin-off characters shouldn't be represented in Smash via playable characters.

Tails
Nay, same reason as Knuckles.

Isa Jo
Nay, no clue who this is.

Apollo Justice
Nay, I think an Ace Attorney rep would be weird in general and unfitting for the game.

Takamaru
Yay, I was disappointed he wasn't playable in 4, and his Samurai schtick is unique.

2B
Nay, who and what is this?

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
1. Ristar: Nay
2. Knuckles: Nay
3. Tiz Arrior: Nay
4. Banjo/Kazooie: Yea
5. Todd Snap: Nay
6. Tails: Nay
7. Isa Jo: Nay
8. Apollo Justice: Nay