• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ya'll Should Help Us Out

LegendaryGames

Smash Cadet
So we need ideas. I know that the community in Georgia isn't exactly huge, but we are here to support the community; so help us support you. What do we need to get, what do we need to do? Ideas please!

T3h Albino

Smash Master
so farrrrr v____v
make a hyped tourney and post it everywhere to get OOS to come
so we can have a large smash tourney thats not TO5
brawl pl0x ;B
*puts up flame shield*

BigLøu

Smash Lord
Most people that play brawl live up in the north, and most from what i hear arent allowd to go out that far for a tourney. If i can plan it out ahead of time i would go, and hopefully try to get some hype for it.

LegendaryGames

Smash Cadet
That'd be great. The thread is up, unfortunatly it's not stickied, probably cuz of all the controversy with the4 last one getting stickied! But we're love to see you and everyone else come. We just want this to be a big even so people can have a good time.

Rayku

Smash Lord
That'd be great. The thread is up, unfortunatly it's not stickied, probably cuz of all the controversy with the4 last one getting stickied! But we're love to see you and everyone else come. We just want this to be a big even so people can have a good time.
have Magic drafts on the night of a tournament

Also, get employees that actually seem somewhat enthused to talk to me. I asked how much a certain Yugioh card was and the guy was like "I don't know."

I felt neglected.

GA Peach

Smash Lord
have Magic drafts on the night of a tournament

Also, get employees that actually seem somewhat enthused to talk to me. I asked how much a certain Yugioh card was and the guy was like "I don't know."

I felt neglected.
competent employees with good customer service? silly rayku and his silly fantasies...

LegendaryGames

Smash Cadet
Well I appologize. The young man you are refering to was just helping us with the event. I never have a problem doing events as long as there are at least four people (refereing to the Magic event) but it would be a little hard seeing as we are doing Brawl, Melee, Street Fighter 4, and Blazblue. But we'll see.

Purple

Hi guys!
first off, post tournaments very far in advance, your tourneys will be in warner robins which is way to far for even two weeks in advance to give a decent turnout, the tourney has to stick into peoples head and takes a LONG time for word of mouth to really do anything, plan this tournament two months in advance, let people begin to call out days and get carpools set up and you'll be straight.

secondly, deliver what you offer, make sure everything's the same as shown in said advertisement, if there's a cookout, better be a grill burning up with hot dogs and burgers outside the entrance XD.

If your entry fee is larger than usual for smash tournaments (five dollars to ten dollars usually) , make it worth our while, a lot of us would like to play other set ups while waiting on matches, small things like that greatly help the tournament experience.

also if you feel that the money you have to pay to run the tourney needs to run into the pot, have a disclaimer advertised in your thread, it might throw people off, but it shows you respect their money and you both will have that understanding from the get go.

Some of us don't mind helping you run tournaments and crew battles and things of that sort, you should have people like dogy (since he goes there often so he a more comfortable level with you guys) and me (just because i really love volunteering to help =P) help you run your tourney smoothly, and give that tourney feel, instead of just sitting drinking mountain dew next to the tourney results, really get out there and interact.

That's some of the things i would emphasize in a tournament, be friendly yet strict, understand that some people play long matches and let them be, but lay the foot down on friendlies during a tournament.

However...

I've seen it happen recently where a tournament is winding down, friendly tvs are available, and the TO would still distinctively kick off smash players. Pretty disrespectful stuff.

I'm sure if you just give it that comfortable setting (fans), and tournament feel (megaphone to say tourney matches, no distracting background music, and make the grand finals matches even more exciting than other matches (projector), your tourneys will become highly respected, and while we won't be able to come there everyday for your regular game play, we'll definately make your tourneys on our list of tournaments to attend.

:)

:edit: i've never been to this place oyu're hosting the tournaments, but if it's anything like waba in size generality, i would say to not worry about pleasing everyone in the sense of what games to play, having a lot of games is nice, but if you have a set time limit, you want to see how many volunteers and workers you'll need, how much time you'll need to average out to get things running. So i'm sure you'll satisfy people by saying you'll do sf4, blazblue, and brawl, but if there happens to be large turnout for all of them, and people begin to leave, brackets become full of holes and **** just starts going wrong, it'll look bad on your behalf. Brawl takes about 6-7 hours for a relatively large tourney to wind down, while the same tourneys for regular fighting games take about 2-3 hours, keep that in mind.

So yeah!

:chuckle:

LegendaryGames

Smash Cadet
That's for the advice guys. I will take what all of you said and hopefully continue to get more tips! I'm thinking about not just guarentying 150 for Brawl but also for the other games (Melee, SF4, Blazblue etc). What do you think? We are also thinking about starting up a sponsered team? Any ideas>?

Purple

Hi guys!
That's for the advice guys. I will take what all of you said and hopefully continue to get more tips! I'm thinking about not just guarentying 150 for Brawl but also for the other games (Melee, SF4, Blazblue etc). What do you think? We are also thinking about starting up a sponsered team? Any ideas>?

i still think pot fee would probably be easier for you and more satisfying for players. no money out your pocket :)

bigman40

Smash Master
You get the venue, and the guaranteed pot size, and I can possibly get OoS people to come since some people told me that they'll come for those reasons. Post it up so that it's long enough for people to prepare, and we can do our best to hype it up.

Also, if you have trouble on setups, I'm positive that people will bring some setups to help out (especially if we get some kind of discount).

BearsAreScary

Smash Journeyman
Guaranteed pots is the best business idea I've seen in a while.
Any word on guaranteed SF4/BB pots? =D

That's incentive enough for a guy like me to make it down, assuming I physically can make it. But it's all about community response....if you guys don't wanna drive down because you can go to Waba for cheaper and less travel time instead of help a growing venue (a spacey venue with a nice and competent owner, no less!) and hype up the community, then I don't really know what can be done. All I can do is sit here time and again shouting "GO TO THESE KINDS OF PLACES AND TOURNAMENTS" over the internet. Is it working? Hm...

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
Yes, we do one every second weekend of the month. The one for this month is on the 8th.
You guys need to make that part more obvious, I've skimmed the thread before and never noticed the guaranteed pot. It is actually worth it for a couple of us NC guys to drive down if we can win that, I might try and convince some people to make the september event.

If you want I can make you guys a pic for the OP that helps pronounce important information. Click here to see what I've done for my tournaments.

LegendaryGames

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them comin. No one has still given any feedback about sponsered teams. But we want people to come to these cuz we want players to have fun. It's not even about the money, it's about the community. We were also thinkin about doin a tournament no venue fees but people said that people wouldn't take us seriously. Hopefully we get a good turnout for the 8th and a better turnout for the 12th of September.

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
You should arrange a GA Gauntlet team.

Take the top 5 players in the state, and then have someone pay $5 to play against them all in order, weakest player to the Strongest player.

What do you get if you beat them all? Your name on the wall and a T-Shirt.

Good publicity, and you make cash.

if there's anything wrong with this idea, I'm sorry. I just thought about it from the top of my head.

Yeah, Guaranteed pots are nice.

Move closer to me so that I can come without needing a long ride.

And do card game tourneys. I would love to see a Magic:The Gathering Tournament, or a Pokemon TCG tourney.

Rayku

Smash Lord
You should arrange a GA Gauntlet team.

Take the top 5 players in the state, and then have someone pay $5 to play against them all in order, weakest player to the Strongest player.

What do you get if you beat them all? Your name on the wall and a T-Shirt.

Good publicity, and you make cash.

if there's anything wrong with this idea, I'm sorry. I just thought about it from the top of my head.

Yeah, Guaranteed pots are nice.

Move closer to me so that I can come without needing a long ride.

And do card game tourneys. I would love to see a Magic:The Gathering Tournament, or a Pokemon TCG tourney.
They already do TCG tournaments, Yiff. It's a game/card store.

How do you do a Gauntlet vs. "tournament"? Are you high? Gauntlet is a party game.

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
I didn't mean Gauntlet as in the game, Gauntlet.

I meant gauntlet as in a Gauntlet challenge. Face the Gauntlet? You have to take on player after player? You know?

Okay, take 5 players, the best 5 in state at playing Brawl/Melee/Whatever.

Now, Say that they are given numbers, 1 through 5, 5 being the best, 1 being the worst.

Someone wants to take the "Gauntlet Challenge." Thus, they will have to fight all 5 players, in order of 1 through 5.

So, in order, they have to play 1,2,3,4, and 5. If they beat 5, they get aforementioned prizes.

And no, I'm not high(wish I was, though.)

And I didn't know that they sold cards there. Never had the chance to go there.

Rayku

Smash Lord
Sounds like something to do with Pokemon's Elite Four. I don't know where the term "Gauntlet Challenge" came from.

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I got the idea from wrestling...

But yeah, Elite 4 is pretty much what it is. Only with like, 5 people.

LOL what would it be called, XP? I can't think of anything else.

Top Bottom