• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Xbox 360 for the win

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Ahhhh, the wonders of selling cutting edge technology at a loss.

I'm pretty sure the Wii couldn't handle cardiac modeling or protein folding.

Although it can read your pulse now, so maybe I'm wrong.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
It's that new wave of Video Gaming. Cut out the quality, length, and thought processes for the game. Just add motion control and a simple concept. Millions of people will buy it!

>:<

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Compared to the old process of making a First Person shooter, make it look aesthetically different but play exactly the same, and just add internet and people will buy it!

>:<

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I was actually referring to the gaming market. I wasn't singling out a console, nor a tired genre of game.

Everything is lazy work most of the time, now. Either that, or EXTREME effort is put into looks.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero

Everything is lazy work most of the time, now. Either that, or EXTREME effort is put into looks.
Yeah cause that wasn't happening last gen?
I find more innovation is going on today than last gen by far. Trouble is, gamming has become very much main stream, far more than it ever was before, so two things are selling, motion controls and bland cookie cutter games, compared to the previous gen, when bland cookie cutter games sold.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Last Generation was this generation but without the dressings. I didn't say last generation WASN'T doing it either. Last generation wasn't even brought into question, good god.

What's more apparent now is downloadable content. I had said this back when ipod was gaining its popularity, but I see this industry going into that direction. I mean, look at what they're pulling for Persona for PSP. And the inclusion of motion control does add more innovation, but it can only so far. When was the last time the Wii came out with a game that truly took advantage of the motion controls and was a truly good game? Not a compilation of minigames on an island.

Anyway. I'm just one who yearns for those golden days. I'll admit, even back during those 16 wars, this stuff was still going on. Yet, at the time, it all still felt alright. Now it's getting ridiculous.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
As long as Team Ico still makes games, as long as inventive games like Endless Ocean, Little Big Planet, and Killer 7 still get made, I don't care.
What's happening is what we see with the movie industry.
Blockbuster games made to sell, not doing anything special really, and then wonderful inventive games being published, which some blockbuster will later rip off.

As for why it feels worse now, 3D graphics. You can impress someone a lot more with 3D models than sprites. The only horrible game I remember from our youth is Mortal Combat, which was praised highly for its graphics. Ever since the inclusion of 3d graphics, game publishers could get away with a mediocrity game with amazing graphic a lot more often. Way back in the day of the Super Nintendo, it was about game design mostly. That's how you sold a game, unless you were Sega, in which case you sold Sonic off of pure fun.

Top Bottom