• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

X or Y to jump?

DarKirby92

Smash Cadet
I personally use Y cuz thats how i started to play, but maybe the position of the button in relation to the A button helps technique.
Even people I Smash closely with have variations in this.

Not sure if its a huge difference, but are there advantages to either/or?

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
Remember, I have a FAQ thread to ask this in...

There are no differences to buttons...although you can jump with the control stick, it is not suggested (harder to sort-hop).

I use Y, since the way I trained to short-hop (long story) had my thumb reflexes to reach up. I use X to wavedash (in SSBM, of course).

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
I don't think it's really an essential thing for Kirby... at least, I haven't changed my controls yet. Many characters need custom tweaking, however... my Yoshi has L set to jump and tap jump off, for various reasons that enhance his playstyle. Just fiddle around and find something that works better for you.

CompassTosser

Smash Apprentice
I use Y because it kinda has a similar place on both the N64 controller and the gamecube. In N64, it was all 4 C buttons that made you jump and I always used the top one. Probably because it was easy to reach the attack buttons.

kenja0

Smash Apprentice
I use Y because Y is above A and I think up = jump in relation to that.
Also, it's easier for me to slide Y to A so I can do aerial spams/short hops.
And it's much safer to use than C-stick in my game.
My C-stick is becoming unreliable because something is funky with my wavebird.

DR809

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3754-7546-8239
There's really no difference I personally dont know if I use x or y i just press one of them.

Red.Tide

Smash Cadet
I use Z to jump, and X to grab. It makes more sense, because the thumb doesn't have to move as much (you often have to jump and attack at the same time, but rarely grab and attack)

Barge

All I want is a custom title
From over 8 years of me playing ssb, i've always used control stick, too used to it to change, even if it would be easier.

Top Bottom