• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wtf Shield

Une

Smash Apprentice
So I've been thinking. The hell does Ike do out of shield? His out of shield game looks really, really bad.

His grab range is not anything special. 5 frame jump. So aerials out of shield are even worse for him. His fastest air moves are Bair and Nair. Thing is, those two moves are a 7 frame startup. Not really too good for something you want to do out of shield. On TOP OF THAT, Bair has a kind of high hit box. A bunch of smaller characters or characters that can duck low enough (there's a TON) can just stand there and Bair will completely wiff if you do it out of shield on the way up. And even then that's a 12 frame or something startup! (5 + 7) Nair, okay. Hits all around him. But he has a 5 frame jump. And it's actually not even a 7 frame startup unless your opponent is above you! When Ike swings his sword for Nair it starts above him then brings it down then under him to the back. So if you're hitting somebody to your side with Nair it's more like I dunno 8-11? Even if it was 7, 12 frames for an aerial out of shield is NOT GOOD.

Like, at least Charizard has a large garb and upB. I think Ike might have the worst out of shield in the game.

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
Yep, hit the nail on the head. This is Ike's worst property. My advice? Don't get stuck in shield if you can help it. How do I avoid it? I play Ike on Crack. Go fast so that I don't have to stick in my shield long. Also, I tend to WD back and reset whenever I can, never try too hard to retaliate.

Top Bottom