• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WTF is "double edge explosion"

Fitty cent

Smash Rookie
ok i've seen this term used in another thread, the limits of a technical sheik, its like the 4th or 5th post down, and personally i've never heard this term used before. is it something commonly used or is it a technic not oftenly used, to be flashy pretty much?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If you use Sheik's UpB from the air but she vanishes at ground/platform level, she'll vanish, quickly cancel into the "standing" vanish frame, and vanish again, causing two explosions to happen in rapid succession.

I successfully reproduced this in Training Mode just to find out if my hearing was right when I did one accidentally. It hits twice, registers as two consecutive hits, and deals two Vanishes worth of damage (~22%).

It's also mostly useless and usually only happens when you want to sweet-spot a ledge and miss it, going just over.

Kenpachi

Smash Apprentice
I've seen this used as an edge stealing move. as sheik is dashing toward the edge, press up B just before she leaves the stage and she'll do the double explosion. she'll do one as she moves off the edge a bit, and if you hold the control stick toward the edge, she'll do the second one toward the edge.

this can be done off of platforms too. its really nice if the platform edge lines up with the end of the edge. the first explosion will be near the end of the platform and you can press down so that the second will send you to the edge. Note: if you keep holding down, you'll go past the edge. so as soon as you hear the second explosion, let go of the control stick.

it takes a while to get used to when the up B starts, but after some practice it'll be easier. Though its worthy to mention that there are better ways to steal the edge, this is just kind of fancy. using reverse needles or wavedashing is more efficient.

~Kenpachi

brickman

Smash Lord
Yea, In reference to the original question. a double edge explosion is when you use your momentum to and right as you get to the edge of the platform or stage you hit up b. This will allow you to preform two explosions. You can either do it to change your direction and grab the edge if you are on the stage as an edge hog instead of reverse needles. If you are on a platform and do it to the ledge it is called the Vall3y explosion, if I am correct. (simply called Vall3y) because that is the name of the person who first invented/used it.

As for overall applicability of the move as an edgehog say vs reverse needles, it is probably not as quick as a sh reverse needles to edge, but it is sure much flashier.

Supreme Pie Ninja

Smash Ace
And you don't have to use both of those brain cells at once when you make comebacks like that...you might strain something.

Anyway, I've seen KeepSpeedN use this in a few matches on YouTube I believe. Mainly used to catch people off guard, or if you want to look extra flashy ;D

Ares726

Smash Ace
Actually, the Double Explosion is more than what y'all are limiting it to. In that match video (and what most of you are saying) there is an Up-B Edgehog (or Running Up-B Edgehog). It generates a Double Explosion on the stage before going out to grab the ledge. When you're recovering you can also land a Double Explosion. If, when you're using up-B to recover, you land right on the edge of the stage, two explosions will occur. You can use it to go into an edgehog or as part of your recovery if you can't get the ledge.

Top Bottom