• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Wow the 3DS graphics look bad

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
Well, it's quite unfair to compare them to the Wii U's graphics. That should go without saying.

The only thing that's really jarring about them are the lines. If we could get rid of them, then I'd sure we'd be able to see the graphics are pretty good.

The only fair comparison would be with Melee, and I'm sure if you took away the lines and the 3DS's jagged edges, the graphics would stand up to it.
Yes, you can completely get rid of the outlines.

And the graphics look way better than Melee in my opinion, being smoother and everything.

Fire Blazer

Smash Cadet
Not only can you get rid of the outlines but you have to take into account that the 3DS hardware isn't extremely powerful nevermind anywhere near console level (Wii U IS an HD system and contrary to what a lot of people believe, a powerful system--I'm a licensed Nintendo developer, I've seen the specs) and that most 3DS games look much more visually pleasing on the 3DS itself--part of that being the 3D effect but in general most screenshots I see have a tad bit less quality than when I actually play them on the 3DS. :\ (I have a lot of 3DS games so I'm speaking from experience here, most screenshots and videos of 3DS games -don't- impress me but the actual games sometimes do.)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Pokémon X & Y looked horrible on video and pictures. Looks great on a 3DS.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS looks horrible on video and pictures. I'm fairly certain everything's going to look just fine.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I always wonder whats up with the 3DS screenshots.
They look like a jaggedy sh#@$y mess online, which made me doubt the 3DS capabilities.
But on an actual 3DS screen, I guess theres some anti aliasing or blurring or some other witvhcraft that removes all the messy edges on 3D models. Try to find someone who owns Pokemon X/Y. I couldn't believe how good the pokemon looked.
Maybe the 3DS has some weird ass resolution that affects the images when uploadin em online.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Pokémon X & Y looked horrible on video and pictures. Looks great on a 3DS.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS looks horrible on video and pictures. I'm fairly certain everything's going to look just fine.
Same goes for MK7 for example, in pictures it looks good, but when you play it you feel as if you were in the Wii one.

HydraYoshi

Smash Rookie
NNID
RSKUNite
3DS FC
1048-7997-4053
Its Cel shaded. Thats how it is made to be to give it a more cartoony look I guess. Its how Sakurai wanted it to look versus the Wii U version whose graphics are HD. Its going to be good. I plan on getting the 3DS version

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
AT the very least it looks better than Melee. And Melee looked decent.

Quit yer bitchin.

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
For a second I thought it was that Smash Bros rip off. What was it called, Super Smash Flash or something?

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Melee? Looking better than Smash Bros 3DS?

I don't know. The characters in SSB3DS have more detail- even the stages themselves (look at those incredible shaders on Kid Icarus' stage).

volbound1700

Smash Master
AT the very least it looks better than Melee. And Melee looked decent.

Quit yer *****in.

It doesn't look better than Melee by any stretch of the imagination. Perhaps if you get rid of the outlines. I shouldn't complain though because it is handheld. I do not think Smash is a good game for handheld systems.

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
It doesn't look better than Melee by any stretch of the imagination. Perhaps if you get rid of the outlines. I shouldn't complain though because it is handheld. I do not think Smash is a good game for handheld systems.
Again, Sakurai gives you the option to make the outlines thinner, thicker, or completely disappear.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The 3DS graphics looks pretty fine to me. Sure, they are less detailed than Brawl, but so what?
It still looks better than Brawl's gritty look, imo.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Melee's graphics are pretty terrible by comparison, all things considered. I think you're nostalgia-ing a little too hard here. Seriously. Let's look at Zelda.

transk.jpg

Look at the ridiculous lack of detail, and those chunky polygons. The 3DS image is very much superior. It won't let me post the 3DS picture for comparison for some reason, but I don't even think I need to.

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
You're right Ultinarok. By no stretch of the imagination does the picture below look better then the picture you posted.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
They look splendid wait til the games out on the 3DS then we'll see all the spectacular graphics and drool all over them.

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
Anyways like I said earlier If your lookinf at the 3DS pics on your Wii U or Computer they'll probably look bad but if your looking at it on your 3DS they look pretty awesome so wait man.....Just wait. Also if your wondering why I'm a Smash Rookie again look at my name......Now look at my other name SmasherP82........You'll see the difference (If you know me) so No I'm not a nub on Smashboards I'm still SmasherP82 with a name change.......That's suppose to be a right name....

volbound1700

Smash Master
Ok you won me over, 3DS doesn't look that bad, especially if you can remove the black lines. I still think Smash fits better on a console, however Nintendo is heading in the direction of handhelds because their consoles are struggling.

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
When the 3DS version outsells the Wii U one, I will laugh.
You may laugh, but I'd be upset that the Wii U wouldn't have been able to make a full recovery. Then again, SSB4 still would have sold. But who's concerned about that happening?

volbound1700

Smash Master
Wii U is doing better but it maybe a little too late. Besides Hardware and Marketing issues, the biggest lesson I hope Nintendo takes away from Wii U is to have high profile games (Mario, Zelda, Smash, Mario Kart) at the beginning of the console.

Spire

III
BRoomer
3DS Smash looks better than Brawl. That's way too exciting! Enjoying how Gerudo Valley is the new Bridge of Eldin. You can see Gerudo's Fortress in the background beyond the rock wall!

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Ok you won me over, 3DS doesn't look that bad, especially if you can remove the black lines. I still think Smash fits better on a console, however Nintendo is heading in the direction of handhelds because their consoles are struggling.
You do know Sakurai wanted to only make it on the 3ds at first? We are lucky he decided to do both (I wish they were spaced out a bit so we got like a smash 4.5 in 2 or 3 years but whatever.) Also the 3ds was struggling when it first came out, so just wait till they release a true zelda/mario/smash/mariokart and it will be fine. Contrary to popular belief the wii u isn't as big of a failure as gaming news sites like to make it seem.

Top Bottom