• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Wow the 3DS graphics look bad

volbound1700

Smash Master
Sorry, I am not trying to troll but when you see the Wii U against the 3DS pictures, it is like the 3DS pictures where put together by someone using photo-shop online. They look terrible at times. The first time I saw the 3DS pictures, I thought it was a photo-shopped and not real.

I am trying to not be negative about it but IMO, Melee has better graphics than the 3DS.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The 3DS screens never do the game justice unless played on a 3DS itself.

Differing screen resolutions make the pictures look pixelated when not displayed on the 3DS itself. This isn't rocket science. This is the same reason you have to choose the correct size when downloading a wallpaper for your PC, for example.

So yeah, it's hard to take you seriously when you're ignorant.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
First off, they were never going to look very similar. The Wii U is HD, while the 3DS isn't. As such, it has lesser graphics in pictures. But I guarantee you, once we see more in-depth gameplay instead of pictures, you'll be more impressed. Hopefully.:p

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I mean you can't really put the 3DS version up against the Wii U version and expect to be blown away. I think that in the end it'll turn out to he a nice looking game for the 3DS.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't think I have much to add as everyone before me pretty much summed everything up. Sakurai himself even stated that the reason he doesn't upload as many 3DS pictures as Wii U pictures is precisely because these screenshots aren't doing the game any justice. You need to see the game in action on the handheld system itself in order to truly appreciate it, which is true for pretty much all 3DS games in general.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
That's what people said about KI:U too.

Burning Boom

Smash Apprentice
When it comes to looking like Photoshop, I assume you're talking about the outlines on the characters? That was done to make the models show up better on the small screen, and also probably to make the 3DS version be a little different that crappier looking Wii U version. I personally like that artistic design choice, it makes everything look like a comic or something.

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
I actually much prefer the 3DS graphics now, but when I first saw the trailer, I was disappointed with both. The Wii U one is just bright colors, like 90% of Nintendo games, and doesn't do much for me (and I'm strictly non-HD, due to input lag, so the game will look horrible letterboxed to fit on my TV). I'd personally prefer Brawl-styled graphics for both, but the 3DS's style has grown on me over time. It's pretty unique, and looks great in motion.

Avantgrave

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0963-0522-3867
I don't think I have much to add as everyone before me pretty much summed everything up. Sakurai himself even stated that the reason he doesn't upload as many 3DS pictures as Wii U pictures is precisely because these screenshots aren't doing the game any justice. You need to see the game in action on the handheld system itself in order to truly appreciate it, which is true for pretty much all 3DS games in general.
^ This pretty much. Screenshots won't look right until you're actually playing it. Same thing happened to me. I saw screenshots of A Link Between Worlds in an issue of Game Informer and thought they looked awful. My friend ended up convincing me to buy a 3DS, and I picked up the 3DSXL bundle that came with the Zelda game. Sure enough, as soon as I started playing it, the graphics were exponentially better, and they fit the system fine. So I really wouldn't worry at all about how Smash Bros is gonna look on the 3DS. Sure, it'll have a properly adapted style, but I don't see any reason to doubt its quality. Not yet, at least.

CrimsonDivine

Smash Journeyman
It's all about perspective. Personally, I think the graphics look beautiful for a 3DS game. And screenshots don't really do DS games justice. You might want to actually physically play the game before you judge, and if you hate the black lines, turn them off.

Edit- Damn, just saw that I basically just repeated what everyone else said. Oh well, at least it shows that my opinions are shared in the community. :)

ZelDan

Smash Master
They don't look bad at all really. I don't know how you could really make them much better for the 3DS.

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
The 3DS overall has some pretty bad quality but I wouldn't let that one flaw stop you from playing one of the greatest games of all time.

Tbh the only game that looks decent enough on the 3DS is KH DDD but hey don't take my word for it.

I just wish they could match the quality to the ps vita =P

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
Mostly what everyone said above. But yea pictures won't do it justice, you'll have to get the game if you want to be appreciated.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
>Person makes topic
>Bunch of people reply telling him why his topic is bad
>Person never bothers to reply
>The people just got trolled

Badum tsk.

Morbi

Scavenger
Sorry, I am not trying to troll but when you see the Wii U against the 3DS pictures, it is like the 3DS pictures where put together by someone using photo-shop online. They look terrible at times. The first time I saw the 3DS pictures, I thought it was a photo-shopped and not real.

I am trying to not be negative about it but IMO, Melee has better graphics than the 3DS.
What did you expect? 3DS limitations, man. But it can always store 700 Pokemon on X and Y! So the problem doesn't exist. :awesome:

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
:troll: The 3DS graphics are pure crap:troll:

Well, seeing as how most portable games pale in comparison when compared to their console version, of course it's gonna look ''worse''.
But I never judge a game until I play it myself. :smirk::facepalm::(:mad::demon::shades:

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
As long as the option to turn the black lines on and off is available, I won't really mind the graphics at all for the portable version! Of course, it looks much nicer on the Wii U, but I think it is pretty good for a 3DS game!

volbound1700

Smash Master
Sorry, I don't have the chance to get on here enough. I will respond.

Basically, I think the black outlines are not doing it. Just do normal character images. I honestly think Super Smash Brothers Crusade and Super Flash Brothers 2 have comparable graphics.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Sorry, I don't have the chance to get on here enough. I will respond.

Basically, I think the black outlines are not doing it. Just do normal character images. I honestly think Super Smash Brothers Crusade and Super Flash Brothers 2 have comparable graphics.
I'm pretty sure you have the option to control how thick the lines are, and can even get rid of them completely if you so desire.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Am I the only one who actually likes the 3DS' art style?
I mean:

Does that look bad? Seriously.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Disagree. But It does looks better than the original Smash Brothers for N64.

Ugh, I typed a direct reply but my posts must be messing up.

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
SSB3D looks better than Melee, and has a very similar art style to Brawl. Personally, I love them both and I'm getting both. If you want to really see SSB3D's graphics, go on your 3DS, go to Miiverse, and look at one of the 3DS pictures through there.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Some of you guys are confusing graphics with art style.

Both versions have slightly different art styles. The Wii U version has colours that are brighter while the 3DS version has more contrast. The character models in the 3DS version seem to conform to that of the Wii U version, but it doesn't do so fully due to graphical limitations.

Now, the Wii U version clearly has better graphics. It features anti-aliasing, more polygons, more shaders, better lighting, more particle effects, and whatnot. The 3DS either has less or has none, so yes, it technically does have "bad" graphics in comparison.

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
I'm pretty sure you have the option to control how thick the lines are, and can even get rid of them completely if you so desire.
Masahiro stated that yes, you can completely control the lines, and even make them disappear.

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
Some of you guys are confusing graphics with art style.

Both versions have different art styles. The Wii U version has colours that are brighter while the 3DS version has more contrast. The character models in the 3DS version seem to conform to that of the Wii U version, but it doesn't do so fully due to graphical limitations.

Now, the Wii U version clearly has better graphics. It features anti-aliasing, more polygons, more shaders, better lighting, more particle effects, and whatnot. The 3DS either has less or has none, so yes, it technically does have "bad" graphics in comparison.
True, but it's far from being an eyesore.

Sorry about the double post there.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
Meh I don't care about the graphics it just looks freaking awesome on a 3DS but I would say myself that there 3D models actually seem to be improving from time to time like Zelda's 3D Model for example.

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
Yes, keep in mind the 3DS version will be 3D without glasses. Imagine taking in game pictures with those effects.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
True, but it's far from being an eyesore.

Sorry about the double post there.
Yep. Previously mentioned, it's better to have a good look at it in person.

Other than graphics, there's also performance. That won't be a problem for the Wii U, but it's definitely a challenge for the 3DS. In context, the 3DS only has a few games with 60 FPS and even fewer with 60 FPS with 3D enabled. Smash is a game that needs 60 FPS, and the series is known for its chaotic action. Many things happen in the background such as four or more AIs, stage animations, items, and other effects, and the developers will need a ton of time to optimize its performance for the 3DS version.

In order to achieve 60 FPS, you can sacrifice graphics for performance, which is what this game is probably trying to do. There's also the 3D effect, which might ultimately be 30 FPS with 3D on, unless it takes the Pokémon X and Y route and just becomes 30 FPS with no 3D, which is the worst case scenario, whether you use the 3D or not.

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
Still, it's going to look like these characters are walking around in your 3DS. It's going to look really cool, and down to it, it's still Smash Bros. It's going to be fun.

Lazurwolf

Smash Apprentice
I have to agree the 3DS graphics look bad. The characters look like a Brawl cut-out of themselves but maybe the 3D will really shine in the game.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Well, it's quite unfair to compare them to the Wii U's graphics. That should go without saying.

The only thing that's really jarring about them are the lines. If we could get rid of them, then I'd sure we'd be able to see the graphics are pretty good.

The only fair comparison would be with Melee, and I'm sure if you took away the lines and the 3DS's jagged edges, the graphics would stand up to it.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Am I the only one who actually likes the 3DS' art style?
I mean:

Does that look bad? Seriously.
I think this man said it all, we're just punching an already dead horse trying to convince wich has the better graphics, every Smash game looks great, and after all, who the heck cares about the graphics?

Top Bottom