• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wouldn't it make sense for Project M to have its own announcer?

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
If Project M is going to plan on adding more modes and characters, It might become an issue or maybe just get old to keep using splice editing of the Brawl announcer.

It seems like a big majority of the fanbase consider Project M to be it's own game separate from Brawl, And i'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to get an announcer for the game.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I imagine it would be a pretty controversial decision. They'd have to hold a lot of auditions and get inputs from the playerbase.

(Also, they'd have to redub Master Hand/Crazy Hand's voice if they did this as well, because tradition. The Hands always have the same VA as the announcer to imply that they're one and the same.)

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
I imagine it would be a pretty controversial decision. They'd have to hold a lot of auditions and get inputs from the playerbase.

(Also, they'd have to redub Master Hand/Crazy Hand's voice if they did this as well, because tradition. The Hands always have the same VA as the announcer to imply that they're one and the same.)
I don't see what's so controversial about it, And also having the voice go over Master Hand & Crazy Hand would really be barely any more trouble then anything else.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I don't see what's so controversial about it, And also having the voice go over Master Hand & Crazy Hand would really be barely any more trouble then anything else.
People opposed to changing the existing announcer, for one thing. That's why we'd have to run this by the playerbase first.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
I've used that one before, it's alright.

I'd expect a new announcer for the next big release.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
I'm constantly working on new demos for PM announcer stuff, but as I'm also the one hearing and criticizing the majority of it, I end up pretty unhappy with it all.

I do find the idea of a new announcer for PM specifically to be good though.

Mean Green

Smash Lord
Edit: Alright people, god damn. I got it, stfu already.
And I've heard 4 other packs before and were pretty terrible.

Last edited:

Zoa

Smash Ace
We'd need D1 and Prog as the announcers. They're so awesome and just work well together with their synergy. Also D1's "Destruction!" needs to be in.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Trying to splice often doesn't come out so well, as that video above shows. They got lucky with Roy and Mewtwo but I wonder if the next characters they have planned will work out so well. A new announcer might be best to ensure they don't sound awful.

Mean Green

Smash Lord
My idea was that if there was going to be a new announcer, they should use the Melee announcer for the Melee characters, and then try to replicate that voice for the Brawl characters.
Without splicing.

Last edited:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
My idea was that if there was going to be a new announcer, they should use the Melee announcer for the Melee characters, and then try to replicate that voice for the Brawl characters.
Without splicing.
The game isn't Melee, nor is it exactly trying to be. Why take a step backwards instead of forwards?

Mean Green

Smash Lord
The game isn't Melee, nor is it exactly trying to be. Why take a step backwards instead of forwards?
I think the Melee announcer was the best one of all the titles. But whatever dude, it was just a suggestion. Forget about it.

Last edited:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
I think the Melee announcer was the best one of all the titles. But whatever dude, it was just a suggestion. Forget about it.
I was seriously asking that as a question. It confuses me why people sometimes would rather take a step back than a step forward.

Mean Green

Smash Lord
I was seriously asking that as a question. It confuses me why people sometimes would rather take a step back than a step forward.
If that's your outlook on it then whatever. I play a lot of Melee and I just like the announcer it has. I wasn't thinking of it as taking a step back when the brawl announcer sounds so derpy.

Narpas_sword

@ Ryztiq Ryztiq made Project Monolith, it's a decent announcer.

only a couple of issues i heard, 'Link' sounds like 'bLink' (and i think a couple of other names sound a little off)
and that it says 'KO' instead of 'Game'

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
We'd need D1 and Prog as the announcers.
please god please no

The announcer of Project Monolith is pretty good, but idk... I'd really prefer a voice actor that sounds similar to Melee's or even 64's announcer.

Kati

Smash Lord
D1.

Though the melee announcer mixed with the brawl one is quite nice.

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
please god please no

The announcer of Project Monolith is pretty good, but idk... I'd really prefer a voice actor that sounds similar to Melee's or even 64's announcer.
What's wrong with D1 or Prog?

Zoa

Smash Ace
please god please no

James Earl Jones?

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I'm not sure if what I've done is any improvement over the video (except for a few - I'm proud of Squirtle and Olimar), but here's some re-spliced Melee clips.

Then again, listening to these clips repeatedly really dulls your hearing if you forget to take breaks. Which I did.

Clips I used for each character (the ones that aren't in the ZIP files are the ones that I know still need work):

Wario - (Wo)w, incredible
All-st(ar)
Dr. ma(rio)

Diddy Kong - (D)aiato
G(i)ga Bowser
Rea(d)y?
Donk(ey Kong)

Wolf - (W)ins
Sing(le) button
Ganondor(f)

Toon Link - (Two)
You(ng Link)

Lucario - (L)ink
B(lu)e Team
No (Co)ntest
M(ar)th
Dr. Ma(rio)

Squirtle - (St)ock Player Removed
Giga (Koo)pa
T(our)nament Mode
Daia(to)

Ivysaur - (I)ce Climbers
In(vis)ible Melee
Sur(vi)val
Sh(ie)k
I(ce) Climbers
F(our)

Charizard - (Ch)oose your character
M(ari)o
Th(is) game's winner is...
Nintendo All-St(ar)s
Defeate(d)

Trainer - (P)urin
R(o)y
Fixed (C)amera
Mult(i-M)an Melee
(Ma)rio
D(on)key Kong
Single Butto(n)
(Train)ing Mode
Bows(er)

Zero Suit Samus - (S)uccess
Sh(ie)k
Home (Ru)n Contest
N(o) Contest
(Su)per Sudden Death
Gian(t)
Super (Su)dden Death
Tournament (M)ode
Sa(mus)

Lucas - (Lo)ser Drops Out
Grab the (C)oins
Sam(us)

Pit - (P)each
Inv(i)sible Melee
Gian(t)

Meta Knight - (Met)al
S(u)dden Death
O(ne)
G(i)an(t)

King Dedede - (K)oopa
Gr(een) Team
(De)cision
(De)feated
(D)efeated
Yosh(i)

Ike - (I)ce Climber (JPN)
Lin(k)

Olimar - Nintendo (All)-Star
Tourn(am)ent Mode
Nintendo All-St(ar)

R.O.B. - (R)ed Team
W(o)w, incredible
Gig(a B)owser

Snake - (S)udden Death
A(n)d
Computer Pl(a)yer
Lin(k)

Sonic - (S)uper Sudden Death
M(a)rio
Captain Falco(n)
F(ix)ed Camera
Young Lin(k)

Attachments

Last edited:

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
It would be pretty cool if they got some well know tournament commentator to do it. I really hope that they do get their own eventually though regardless. I feel like the splicing is just gonna sound weird for some characters. Even the way that the announcer says Mewtwo is odd. It sounds like he's talking with his mouth full.

Ryztiq

Smash Hoo Hah
NNID
Theytah
@ Ryztiq Ryztiq made Project Monolith, it's a decent announcer.

only a couple of issues i heard, 'Link' sounds like 'bLink' (and i think a couple of other names sound a little off)
and that it says 'KO' instead of 'Game'
If you check the preview link I had listed on kcmm I actually included all of his audition recordings pre-remastered to remove all the hiss/background noise. If you want all the files are there to swap in the ones that you prefer :)

Also, just voicing my own opinion here, but having a commentator as the announcer would be a terrible idea, what if D1 commentated and his voice was indistinguishable from the clips of his voice ingame. Plus having someone talking on stream with their voice also in the game would make it look more unofficial and give the appearance that the resources we have are very limited to outsiders.

If you want a good announcer, find someone who has a great voice but isn't in the smash scene.

Last edited:

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
Also, just voicing my own opinion here, but having a commentator as the announcer would be a terrible idea, what if D1 commentated and his voice was indistinguishable from the clips of his voice ingame. Plus having someone talking on stream with their voice also in the game would make it look more unofficial and give the appearance that the resources we have are very limited to outsiders.

If you want a good announcer, find someone who has a great voice but isn't in the smash scene.
Just add some reverb, and the "tin can" effect from melee for some spice and said commentator's voice would be completely distinguishable.

Or ask Prog since he retired

Ryztiq

Smash Hoo Hah
NNID
Theytah
Just add some reverb, and the "tin can" effect from melee for some spice and said commentator's voice would be completely distinguishable.

Or ask Prog since he retired
The reverb is actually added automatically by the game.

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
I'd say the biggest reason against an announcer right now is file size, same reason they don't have an entire music pack in there.

Though! If there had to be an announcer, I'm all for Markiplier. While I wasn't a huge fan of Starbomb's Smash song, Mark's voice would be perfect.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
I'd say the biggest reason against an announcer right now is file size, same reason they don't have an entire music pack in there.

Though! If there had to be an announcer, I'm all for Markiplier. While I wasn't a huge fan of Starbomb's Smash song, Mark's voice would be perfect.
Wouldn't it just replace the old announcer, making room for the new one?

Top Bottom