• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would you stop maining a character because they wound up being in a really bad tier?

Artificialignorance

Smash Rookie
I thought about it, but then I decided to stick with who I use. Definitely stuck with Little Mac cause I like boxing characters, so I'll never drop him even if I get beat over and over again. Regardless of what people say about whatever character I use, I won't ever stop using them. In Brawl I got a lot of hate for just using Meta Knight. I only used him cause he's my most favorite Kirby character next to Dedede and of course Kirby. So I have reasons for why I use the characters I use today, cause I like them as characters and not how good or bad they are, sometimes I just happen to pick good characters before knowing about it.

If you want to drop that character cause they don't fit your playstyle then do so, don't be discouraged over what people say about your character, stand tall and keep using that character that you like. If he/she is bad, make them good, show players you can make a bad character good.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't think my mains have to worry about being low tier too much (well maybe Mega Man), but I play the characters I am sentimentally attached to and find fun to play. So no, tiers have little bearing on who I pick up.

Lime Cultivist

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3368-3457-2010
Nope. Tiers exist, that's for sure. But my goal isn't really to be the best - even though I play competitively, I know I probably won't get far so I just play everyone I like and have fun with it. GW, Samus, Jigglypuff, and Falco are my guys and girls.

Last edited:

Aura Warrior

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0662-2557-2596
The main is the character I'll be watching all the time... of course I want him to be the character that I like. Also, do not feel very well win a match with a character that you just use because it is top tier... but it feels amazing to win with your most beloved character.

BTW, my main in this game is pretty good, but it was just luck.

Mav485

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1504-7090-2374
Switch FC
SW 7228 3594 2505
Tiers haven't had an impact on who I chose for past Smash games so I doubt it will start now. Mario has been a main for me the whole way through and I have added others here and there. If tier lists did impact me, I think I would be more likely to pick up a high tier character than drop a low tier one just because seeing people rave on about some high tier character will make me curious what all the fuss is about. In the end, I go for my feel with the character above all else.

Right now my favorites include ZSS, Mario, Dr. Mario, Wii Fit Trainer, Palutena(custom), Captain Falcon, and Little Mac. I haven't even got around to trying Sheik that much and she was my best in Melee by far. I'm also thinking about giving Sonic, Lucina, and Greninja a shot.

pwnzorz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ABlackMage
3DS FC
0103-9129-9741
Tiers don't mean much to me. Especially with what Armada and Hungrybox did to Peach and Jigglypuff's tier list spot. Some characters are just straight bad though, and if everybody knows that, it is super satisfying to get kills with the low tier guy.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Not at all!

If I like a character, meaning who they are and how they play, then I would never drop them because of what some tier list says.

or conversely would you consider picking up a character just because they placed high in the tier list?
That's more of an interesting situation for me. I doubt that I would pick up a character out of the blue, only justifying my decision based on them being good. If I did, then it'd probably be because I was thinking of maining them anyway, or that I ignored them for the most part (still played and liked them, but wasn't considering a main over others).

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I use characters I find fun, or with interesting mechanics I want to explore. Peach in Melee, Lucas in Brawl, and Rosalina in Smash 4, with a smattering of other characters I'm not nearly as good with but still enjoy using. Samus, Zelda, Dedede, ROB, Ice Climbers (even though I fail utterly at any of their advanced stuff), Olimar, and Ness. I haven't really explored Robin, Shulk, or Palutena yet but they look fun too.

There's a lot of tier representation in my character choices is what I'm getting at.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Dr. Mario is severely underrated but I wouldn't be surprised if he was low tier(mid-low probably), but I'm not dropping him regardless. If it takes hard reads to play him, I will take that risk.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
Yes and no. I tend to gravitate towards better characters most of the time. However I don't just go with whoever is top.

Except in brawl. I picked pretty bad in that game. Sonic main. Hopefully it pays off in the long run in smash 4.

Vaughngief

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3265-5520-0241
Nope. It's the same for every fighting game I play. I've been a Zangief main in every Street Fighter and Phoenix Wright main day 1 in UMvC3. Character dedication is important into discovering new meta and what all one character can do.

ChrisP4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christian.P4
3DS FC
5284-1444-6964
Never. I may add some top tier players to my arsenal, but they can never replace Mario!

Poketroopa

Smash Rookie
Nope. Even if they suck, the character I choose at the beginning of the game's life will always just feel right. i.e. Sonic in Brawl

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
I'll probably be the FIRST to admit this but I Prefer to play low tier characters. Mainly because it gives me a crutch. When I lose I can just blame it on the character rather then on myself as a player. I know this sounds terrible but I do this to avoid getting depressed. When you play a top tier character you have the weight of the world on your shoulders. you're expected to win with them because they are so good and when you lose it can be very demoralizing, it really goes to show how much of an inexperienced player you are. Which isn't a bad thing it just means you need to train more but still it doesn't feel good. Also if you win people will still think "man hes only winning because he's playing an OP character." which is something you can't really avoid there will always be that one guy who complains about stuff like this. its pretty much a lose lose in my opinion.
This is why I always tend to stop liking things as much once I realize how good they are cause its saddening knowing you can't even win with a good character.
But when you win with a bad character, people seem to recognize you more and compliment you. It feels more rewarding to win with a bad character. So I'd prefer it if all my favorite characters were Mid tier or lower.

Wolfen McGunz

Smash Cadet
I consider myself a pretty competitive smash player, but I in no way am a spectator of tournaments, nor do I follow the competitive community's depiction of a tier list. I like who I like, no matter what.

Apparently Ike is lower tier.......... LOL!
Ike is beast!

HaggisMCF

Smash Rookie
first post.
Yay.

Anyhow, i've allways loved Luigi but in this game...he just feels...bad. He needed a buff for sure, and it feels like his major issue (approaching) is still horrible, but has gotten even worse now that the game's speed has picked up. Also, they nerfed his up-B, which just makes me frown. Was it ever that easy to land that it needed nerfing?

Anyhow, I've divorced the plumber and am now spending my days with King 3D, because he just feels...right.
it feels good. Luigi just felt off....terribly off.

also, i switched to from luigi to little mac and anihilated the person that anihliated me the round before

Last edited:

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Nope.
As amusing as I may find tiers and character placements on such lists, it won't have a real effect on whether or not I would stop using them.

Utena

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yurigod
or conversely would you consider picking up a character just because they placed high in the tier list?
i will main whatever my favorite character to play as in the top ~10 is.
my favorite character to play as will be my secondary if they are not top 10ish.

having a chance at winning against skilled opponents is more fun than repping your low tier fave.

Dwanny

Smash Rookie
Personally, I find there's some sense of dignity in playing a character not because they have a better chance at winning, but because they have a better chance at being fun. Despite this, some characters in some games (cough Falcon in Brawl cough) were so plain bad when playing competitively that you had to switch.

No switches now, though.
nope.

JetSetWoodo

Smash Rookie
NNID
JetSetWoodo
3DS FC
0146-9264-6465
The day I let tiers decide which characters I choose is the day I stop enjoying these games. I've mained Samus for a while and form my understanding she's not considered to be a particularly high tier, but damn is she fun to play.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
I've always mained Mario until Smash 4, when I got introduced to Shulk and Little Mac. To be honest I'd rather play characters that fit my playstyle and I have fun with than just picking one of the top 5 in the latest tier list (however trying them out as a secondary is another thing entirely). I have a feeling my two might place rather well or at least sit in mid-tier once the list inevitably pops up.

Until then I'll just show the world the Monado's Power and the Champion of the Ground.

LittlePac

Smash Cadet
I'm sure this has been posted several times at this point but I'll say it anyway - tiers don't matter unless you're playing at a really high competitive level. The tiers are formulated by people that play at said high level, based upon a characters' ability to win tournaments, which is a very specific environment.

Most people don't play at a level where tiers will matter much, if at all. There will of course be characters that have more unfavorable matchups than others or have a steeper learning curve, but an average player will almost never beat an above average player solely because the bad player has a high tiered character.

But, I like tiers because it makes people angrier when you stomp them with an underused character. Now that yoshi is likely gonna be high tier, I've lost interest in him.

D

Deleted member 269706

I'm not gonna be that guy and say that I don't think Tiers matter at all, but I try to not let them influence my choices. Of my two mains, one seems to always be triumphing over everyone, and my other main is always at the bottom of the list. I didn't choose these characters because of how they ranked, but because of how I liked them in their original games, and how they play on the battlefield. In the end, it's a game, and you're supposed to have fun and whatever you do, do it for yourself, not for anyone else.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
You could become really good with the character people are considering bad and show people they aren't as bad as people think. Move them up the tier list.

Ex. Ice Climbers

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Tiers exist.

But I don't care for them. I use my favorites regardless. Surprising people is part of the fun, too.

Dominus Felis

Smash Apprentice
I play almost all the characters to equal proficiency, but I tend to gravitate towards floaty with high air speeds. Highest one on the tier list that fits this criteria I end up good at.

Felix the Slayer

Ret-2-Go!
3DS FC
3093-7620-3358
Nope, tier doesn't effect my choice at all, I've mained Link and play Samus as my second since SSB 64 (they're low on 64 Melee and Brawl) and do good with them, though I don't play competitively. I just pick who I like and use them.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I only main people who I like playing as. Not top tier. Unless you consider C tier to be top :p

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
In my case, not really. It all depends on the enjoyment factor for me. If I enjoy using a character, I will probably stick to using said character even if my chances of winning a match are diminished (or augmented if the character is top tier).

mahkan

Smash Cadet
For me it depends on how the character feels. I started out liking Mega Man in the demo, but when the game came out I found I really didn't like how it felt playing him. So as of now, I'm trying to find which character I like.

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
lol how old are you 12?
****ing ******
tiers dont exist
tiers are impossible hypotheticals
a player can be wired for different characters

Walbytamer11

Smash Apprentice
Duh, of course! However I wouldn't switch because I want to necessarily win, but because I find better characters more fun.

Take the characters from Melee for example. Kirby, one of the undisputed worst characters in Melee may prove to be the funnest character imaginable on launch day but as the meta develops and tiers lists as well, I see that some characters like Fox or Marth appeal a ton more. This isn't because Foxmaster1278 won the last Apex or made it out of pools (contrary to the poor Kirby main) but because Fox is simply more fun. He covers more options, makes my hands move faster and the higher skill ceiling makes me want to climb the steep skill curve that he brings with him.

All of this taken into account I visit low tiers from time to time because it's satisfying to win with worse characters.

Also I always just picked high tiers before I knew what competitive Smash was. This time around I found myself comfortable with Diddy on day 1.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I would be a complete idiot if I did something like that. I can play whoever I want to play as so I dont't even pay any attention to that crap. Why do they even exist anyways?

Last edited:

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure this has been posted several times at this point but I'll say it anyway - tiers don't matter unless you're playing at a really high competitive level.
Not always... this is just BS.

Some characters might be placed top tier based on some high level playstyle but this seems to usually NOT be the case. At least that's what I see from tons of tier lists in games I've played.

Shaymin slicker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowshaymin
3DS FC
1547-5202-1903
I would only stop using a main if they have become severely nerfed. Tiers do exist, but most of the time I don't even think they matter since you actually have to be really good with the character to bring out their full potential. I just use whatever I want no matter where they are.

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
Personally, my answer is no. When I choose a main, I look for these things:

1. Does he/she comfortable to play with after a few matches?
2. Does this person suit my primary playing style?
3. What is this person good at/bad at?

This leads to the sub-main choices which loop in almost the same manner and eventually I assemble a solid collection of characters I play as, and surprisingly, some of the characters are in the mid-low tiers. For instance, I main Dr. Mario. When I got the game he was one of the characters I was most hoping to try out for I loved him in casual Melee and when I finally got to try him after unlocking him, he clicked for me right away for his aggressive pressure and combo game, (which while the mechanics are different from Melee, he still can combo like a beast, at least for me), and I have never had a character do that for me before. According to the Japan tier list that was posted on this forum, he is low-tier, but I don't care because I have been wrecking people who play as some of the best characters in the game right now including Rosalina and Luma, Yoshi, ZSS, and even Little Mac with him. So this goes to show you, tiers don't make a character good, it's the people behind the character that make the difference.

Last edited:
Top Bottom