• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would you like some range that with that dsmash?

Lunaris

Smash Ace
Figured some of you might be interested in this. Haven't seen it discussed yet, sorry if it's already known.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm2195049
EDIT:
youtube version: http://youtube.com/watch?v=-szhuE6oSIg

for the sake of those who don't have an account, the player does a downsmash next to the sandbag in the WiFi waiting room screen, and then does the rapid headbutt. the headbutt appears to be increased in range to the point where you could call it a disjointed hitbox, and hits normally a few times and then does what looks like no-ping hits.

i'm not sure what eventually causes the move to stop hitting normally; i can think of a few reasons though:
1. sandbag gets too far away; there is a 'normal hitbox' and then for some length beyond that it does 'no ping hits.' or perhaps he actually was getting successive no-ping hits and that marks the end of the hitbox.
2. there are a limited number of charges on the increased range. after the charges are used, it still does the no-ping hits.
3. a timed duration is also a possibility, though unlikely.

various questions that need testing:
1. does pikachu retain the ability after moving, doing certain attacks, etc?
2. exactly how far does it reach?
3. do the no-ping hits do damage?
4. does it do damage at all(for all we know it could simply be a glitch that causes hit stun at long range, but no damage on the extended portion of the hitbox)?
5. does it work with any other moves?
6. how exactly is it executed? do you really have to hammer the a button directly after the smash, or does simply doing the smash get you "charges?"
7. can it be activated by pikachu's other smash/electrical/multihit attacks(eg fair)?
8. are there any other characters that have this?
9. is the glitch only possible on the wifi stage(hey, nothing's impossible)?

hopefully i didnt do all that writing for something that just fades after you move an inch or stop headbutting. although, if he kept it for the whole game it could make him pretty powerful. the video suggests it's probably useless since he doesn't bother doing anything else with it(which sort of implies that he cant).

Oh, and the translation of the text at the end:

"Method
Keep pressing A after your smash attack
PEACE"

I dub this gadoken, due to its range. or maybe the rat gun.

if you want something more official sounding, "preg" for pikachu range extension glitch. innuendo intended.

SJAK47

Smash Journeyman
It would be more interesting for me if I can see the video. Visualizing it while reading didn't really help but thanks for the write up.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I'll always call it the Extendo-Head. No matter what.

Rakath

Smash Ace
I think Gadouken is a perfectly correct name for it. I mean Dan Hibiki references never die. ^_^

When the game is stateside I will test this out. As I do main the little rodent.

DTbeloBrown

Smash Rookie
Not a big deal; That move naturally has good range.

I just tested this on the Japanese version in training mode. From what I can tell:

Those little hits, the ones you call "no-ping", do no damage or velocity and appear to be completely inconsequential to gameplay.

Regardless of stage, opponent, or the performance of any particular move before it, the rapid headbut has a very long range (but less than f-smash), at least compared to the graphical mesh of pika's displayed head.

I repeat for emphasis: as far as I can tell, the d-smash in the video shown seems totally irrelevant.

One interesting minor point is that it has more to do with the opponent's graphical mesh than the opponent's explicitly issued joystick movement commands. What makes me say this is that in one case when I was testing against fox, there were no hits at all. Then, after fox begins his idle animation (similar to his Melee taunt where he extends his hand foreword and beckons) his arm would suddenly receive these "no-ping" hits. similarly, pit's shinguard would switch between getting "no-ping" hits or not, as it oscillated closer and farther in his idle animation. I am guessing the sand bag in the video was a constant stream because it has no idle animation.

By the way, whoever said anything about "pressing A rapidly" is being inaccurate; you can simply hold down the A button in brawl, and Pika will just headbut away as fast as possible. (I really like this about brawl) The player in the video must love pain if he isn't just holding the button down.

Top Bottom