• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would this reddit thread featuring Melee playing on wiiU have any bearing on Brawl/P:M HD TV lag?

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/1jwho8/stricnyn3_playing_ssbm_on_wii_u_with_widescreen/

I saw this today and watched the video, it's pretty impressive to say the least. By this same logic if your playing P:M on the WiiU via wii mode, there wouldn't be any input lag caused by the analog to digital conversion in your HD TV right? Because even though you would be in "wii mode" it's still a native digital out (HDMI) signal.

Where as if your using a regular wii, if you use any HDTV your going to always have the extra conversion lag coming from the wii's composite or component outs (analog out from the wii being converted to digital by your HD TV).

I haven't heard much about the WiiU being worth it in terms of P:M, but higher quality visuals/less lag for Melee and P:M would make the WiiU worth a second look in my opinion.

Thoughts?

in b4 "Get a CRT." I know they're cheap i just don't have the space.

AbstractLogic

Smash Journeyman
From my understanding the input lag manifests from the game being upscaled and the lack of processing power on most TVs. The WiiU playing in "wii mode" will still be playing games at 480p that have to be converted to whatever resolution the monitor is. I would imagine it wouldn't be as bad with the HDMI cable vs the old Wii cable but It's still there.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
The WiiU playing in "wii mode" will still be playing games at 480p that have to be converted to whatever resolution the monitor is. I would imagine it wouldn't be as bad with the HDMI cable vs the old Wii cable but It's still there.

Check the original thread on the Melee boards The Wii U is running Gamecube games through a program in Wii mode, if Melee/Devolution has no display lag on Wii U Project M won't as well. The only problem we might run into here is the potential lag for GC->CC/WiiU converters. The Mayflash GC->WiiU converter is confirmed for lag free, but ironically works for Melee through Devolution but not for Project M.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
The HD lag is mostly due to ****ty processors in most of the cheaper HD TVs. There's also the problem with the game being upscaled to match HD. Really good HD TVs really don't have an innate lag problem and can be absolutely beautiful to play on, you just don't see people bringing those to tournaments because that's a lot of money you're risking with hundreds of people around. I notice the difference really hard while I'm playing Blazblue.

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
Well i was talking about eradicating lag, just helping those who only have access to an HDTV...first world problems right?

AbstractLogic

Smash Journeyman
At the end of the day if the amount of input lag is negligible I doubt it will affect you. If you are playing frame perfect and need to consistently do ridiculous techs then a CRT is advised.

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
At the end of the day if the amount of input lag is negligible I doubt it will affect you. If you are playing frame perfect and need to consistently do ridiculous techs then a CRT is advised.

Actually i was more curious about making brawl/P:M look as beautiful as possible without sacrificing gameplay.

Top Bottom