• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would it be possible to have a third menu music song?

Chawinyaw

Smash Cadet
I don't know if it would be possible, but I was wondering if you could have another song for the menu music, along with the menu 1 and 2 themes as well playing at random. I was wanting to get the trophy lottery music playing as well. If you still don't understand what i'm talking about due to my poor wording, let me explain in better detail.

So there are two menu songs in Melee that play at random (Menu 1 and Menu 2) whenever you press start at the title screen. I was wondering if I could add a third (the trophy lottery music) to the mix, because I really like that song. So does anyone know if this would be possible?

D

Deleted member 269706

I can tell you that this would be possible, it's just a matter of actually doing it...You would need to get into the code and find where the music locations are stored, meaning you would have to find where the game determines which songs to play at which point in the game. (For example: the trophy lottery music plays at the trophy lottery option). You would then have to rewrite the code to make it randomly play on the menu, alternating with the other menu themes. I have no idea how to go about doing this, but I'm sure it's possible.

Alternatively, you could just replace one of the menu songs with the theme you want to play there, which is much easier to do.

CeLL

Smash Lord
From the data sheet you can find the function that plays music. From there I'd set a breakpoint at the start of that function and then launch the game. It should break at the function. Step through to the blr at the end of it and then the previous line should be responsible for branching to that function with a branch link. Right before the branch link, I'd inject a custom function that randomly put a desired value into r3 (which is the HPS ID of the song played, according to the data sheet). You could then have any number of songs played randomly on the menu. You'd probably have to disable the random chance at the alt menu music (and add the alt menu music to your list of HPS IDs to randomly pick from if you'd like) to make it work exactly as desired.

Chawinyaw

Smash Cadet
I can tell you that this would be possible, it's just a matter of actually doing it...You would need to get into the code and find where the music locations are stored, meaning you would have to find where the game determines which songs to play at which point in the game. (For example: the trophy lottery music plays at the trophy lottery option). You would then have to rewrite the code to make it randomly play on the menu, alternating with the other menu themes. I have no idea how to go about doing this, but I'm sure it's possible.

Alternatively, you could just replace one of the menu songs with the theme you want to play there, which is much easier to do.
From the data sheet you can find the function that plays music. From there I'd set a breakpoint at the start of that function and then launch the game. It should break at the function. Step through to the blr at the end of it and then the previous line should be responsible for branching to that function with a branch link. Right before the branch link, I'd inject a custom function that randomly put a desired value into r3 (which is the HPS ID of the song played, according to the data sheet). You could then have any number of songs played randomly on the menu. You'd probably have to disable the random chance at the alt menu music (and add the alt menu music to your list of HPS IDs to randomly pick from if you'd like) to make it work exactly as desired.
oh boy...

D

Deleted member 269706

Yeah, it's quite a hassle...I would recommend just replacing one of the current menu themes, which is MUCH easier, and I could walk you through relatively easily.

Top Bottom