• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would I be frowned upon for maining Marth?

Gavyn

Smash Rookie
In Sm4sh, I highly prefer Roy, but in Melee I always preferred Marth, and now that I've seen Pro gameplay, I'm willing to put in the time to get as good as Ken or PewPewU (chances of that happening are 1 to 1,000,000,000, but I'm still going for it!) lol point is, would you frown upon me for maining him? If yes, then who cares :) lol but I just want to know if you would or not :D

AirFair

Marth tho
Why would anyone care lol? even if they do, more often than not their opinion probably doesn't mean much to you anyway.

necroTaxonomist

Smash Apprentice
Depends on how you play Marth:

Just rolls and fsmashes = Scrub Marf
Actually uses Marth's awesome combo ability = Cool Dude

Xxaz_v

Smash Cadet
Personally,(I prefer the air) I would get mad at you if you play Marth by going fthrow->dtilt/fsmash until you win. Most Marth mains will use fsmash and utilt like its a shine, and even if you punish them every time they do it, they'll keep doing it. I've been told that my Marth is less poking and more actual combos. I hate playing Marth, but if you backwards fair to Dair me, I'll be hyped up. But if you CG spacies then go for a tipperd fsmash every stock, I'm gonna pissed off.

Imagine if I stood near the ledge as fox and just shot lasers at you, and every time you approach, I throw you off the stage and shine spike you. Now replace fox with Marth.

Tl;dr don't play lame

Gavyn

Smash Rookie
Oh I won't do that stuff, hence the term "trying to be as good as Ken or PewPewU." Lol in fact, I watched tourney footage of a Marth Ditto between them, and PewPewU came out on top. What stood out to me, however, is that Ken specializes in approach, and PewPewU specializes in ANTI-approach. So, if I can make my playstyle a good mix between the two of those, than who knows how well I would perform!

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
PPU specializes in everything basically.

If you like marth, play him, and body the haters.

Black Marth is the manager of Hot Topic.

Last edited:

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, only Puff and IC's will get you looked down upon (it's stupid, but that's just how it is) in lower level play. You can swag out with basically any character, and the people love stylish players regardless of their main. So just play whoever you want.

necroTaxonomist

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, only Puff and IC's will get you looked down upon (it's stupid, but that's just how it is) in lower level play. You can swag out with basically any character, and the people love stylish players regardless of their main. So just play whoever you want.
Can confirm. Used to play Puff, everybody hated me.

Cooly23

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4167-5547-7609
Since your not playing Marth in Sm4sh, i approve of you maining Marth in Melee

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
Can confirm. Used to play Puff, everybody hated me.
You left Puff for Sheik, some people would still complain lol

In all seriousness though OP, most people don't look down on others for their character choice. Those that do aren't really worth worrying about anyways. If you have the most fun playing Marth, that should be the deciding factor, not the thoughts and opinions of other players.

Last edited:

Modesty

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
ALIC#155
It's always going to be a little disappointing to see someone sellout their main for a better character, but at the end of the day the goal in melee is to beat your opponent, so if switch mains helps you do that, no one has the right to give you crap for it imo.

Last edited:

Swampertrulz

Smash Lord
NNID
Swampertrulz
3DS FC
3883-9003-2472
No, Marth is a fine character to main. Sure, Marth mains are common, but nobody will hate you for it.

Sutekh

Smash Apprentice
In my experience, the only people that have an issue with Marth mains are the people that refuse to put in the time to learn the matchup. You have to play differently against Marth than you do other characters because his sword allows him to control so much space, and some (generally lower leveled players) don't like having to adapt to their opponent and just want to play the way they do against every other character.

That being said, you'll undoubtedly be a lame Marth when you first start out, and you'll probably dominate most people that are at your level. Marth's gimmicky tricks like d-throw to f-smash will only work for so long, and more experienced players will basically punish the lameness out of you. When a player respects Marth's range and know how to bait out your attacks, it will reveal the fact that Marth is incredibly easy to combo once they're able to get in. His hitboxes are out for only a few frames, and if he commits to an attack that misses, he's combo bait. At higher levels, Marth requires precision and finesse in order to survive, and every mid-high level player knows that. If someone is complaining about Marth, they're probably at a level that their opinion doesn't matter very much anyhow.

And feel free to remind any unhappy opponent of the mantra: No Johns =p

Michelangelo

Smash Cadet
A lot of people will say marF is cheap when they lose to one (so do i). I doubt someone will actually hate on you. Mybe if somebody loses to you and gets really salty he will but then again, you won and the hate won't make him win so you should just ignore that.

DeadBeef

Smash Rookie
I love Marth in melee and nobody should hate on you because of him, Marth is my go to character and backup is falco. Marth has great combo abilities that will have to be mastered and space is the main key for him because of the sword hit boxes. Hope to see your Marth in a competition because every marth player has there own style which is what makes him cool(every character has there own style but in my opinion Marth has more sandbox combos!

Top Bottom