• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

worth learning?

Xgamer1224

Smash Rookie
is the pokemon trainer worth mastering? im sure he would be because he has 3 different movesets, but i want to know what you people think.

apmpnmdslkbk

Smash Journeyman
He was askin if mastering ALL of the pokemon of the pokemon trainer or just one of em.

So Xgamer dont listen to this A hole.

But as for your question mastering all of the pokemon is a good Idea because then you will have three different strategies to use in battle (when one strategie doesnt work just switch out your pokemon). The only down side to this is that if you choose to use only one of the pokemon then u have to worry about fatigue and that is neva good.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
My "main" is marth... but im slowly switching to poke trainer.. if i already didnt switched. PT is by far the funniest character to use IMO . You have 3 movesets to use in one battle, very unique ones.. (one of the pokes always fight in 4 legs,,,something never seen in smash before). The other one is a dragon (what can be more awesome than this?) and the little turtle has one of the weirdest physics in the game.

But to use PT u must be aware that is one of the toughest characters to use.... because u will have to adapt to 3 diff styles and know how to apply them. Even when this is good to have more options,, it will also mean that u will almost always have one weak link against a character, so u must know very well ur match ups to know when is clever to switch a poke, even if he is ur best.
Also u need to take in consideration that even when u have 3 styles in one to use in a battle... there are characters out there that have one moveset which is better (or lets say, more effective) than the 3 of the pokes.
The fatigue is another factor that can be decisive and will annoy you in battle while none of ur rivals will suffer from this...and will use this against you.
Youll find that there are lots of characters that can deal good damage to PT with ease (ivy and zard are very comboable if played carelessly), while ull have to work a lot for ur %.
In summary, ull have to be always much more carefull about the fight than ur opponent.Is not easy task.

But to answer ur question, definitely YES. If you play the character because u have fun with it, and dont mind about losing a lot at the beggining.... ulll understand how awesome is to kick butt with Pke trainer when getting better with it.
Having 3 movesets can be bothering sometimes.... but the good part of it is that if u spend enough time to get the 3 pokes to a decent level.. ull always have a trick under ur sleeve, as the options with the 3 put together are a lot.

The full potential of the PT has not been shown yet, and we are very sure that someday one player will use PT in a very competitive level.

blueshirt314

Smash Cadet
YES, YES, YES.

PT is one of my three mains, and I love to use him because people never get used to having to adjust in the middle of a game. Since Squirtle is light and fights in the air, Ivysaur is middle-heavy and anti-air, and Charizard is heavy but quick for his size and weight, the opponent needs to know how to fight three very different characters to succeed. Since none of my friends main with him, none of them know how to fight him. One of my friends tried to play as him - he learned how hard it is to be good with such an odd adjustment.

Which brings me to my next point: PT has a VERY steep learning curve. My other two mains in Brawl, Jiggs and Bowser, are pretty much unchanged from Melee, so I didn't have to work as hard to get them up to Brawling potential against my friends. But the PT... ouch. Learning to time the switches and to bring not one, but THREE completely different charactes was very hard. But the efforts have paid off: the three Pokemon balance out very well, and at least one has a counter against every character.

If you learn him, you'll love him. Trust me.

Ilucamy

Smash Journeyman
PT is like having 3 characters in one, so you don't need a second. Or a third. But maybe a fourth. Might as well just learn one at a time and say the others are you second and third. XD The only reason I can't use PT is that I hate one thing about every pokemon.
Squirtle is too jumpy and quick err control problems.
Charizard is too fat and slow he's like a second bowser except he can fly.
Ivy is good IMO, but has terrible recovery

PT's not for me...

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
I think he is. I recently gave up on Ike because I just couldn't find anything to let me deal with several bad matchups: Marth, Snake, Metaknight, etc. Sakurai chose to take the real Ike and instead make him some unbelievably slow 'heavy hitter.'

So I began seeking something that I felt was flexible enough to handle a lot of matchups. In design-theory, that's PT. In practice, I'm not good enough to make it work yet, but I have made progress; Marth in particular no longer just walks all over me for free.

Derv1sh

Smash Rookie
I'd say definitely. PT's greatest advantage (IMO) is his near endless potential. Some characters i've worked with work really well now, and pose a problem to most of the people i play, but recently i've realized that within the next 4-6 months these characters are going to reach their max potential. And with likely several years before the next smash release, those characters are going to significantly decrease in playability as characters with tons of potential but steep learning curves (Pokemon Trainer) will catch up and pass many characters that were once deemed amazing. With 3 full move sets and three unique playing styles, i find it very unlikely that PT will do anything but rise in the tiers. So if you are in it for the long run, PT (in general and in all three characters) is without a doubt worth mastering, just don't expect to have him mastered anytime soon.

Ratherion

Smash Journeyman
As for the one pkmn vs all of them. Master them all in unison, don't work on one first then the others. Additionally not being good with one or two out of the three is like only being good at lasering with melee falco, but with no pillar or spiking skills.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
yes, IMO definitely the best way is to master the 3 of them!!, and is funnier ;)

always trying to swap one of them because u suck with him, is like adding another obstacle to the already difficult to play PT.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Depends on who you ask. If you don't like the hard path and prefer easy to master characters, you're wasting your time. If you don't care about how difficult it is to learn a character just as long as there is a reward, then by all means, start training. Because You have to learn 3 different characters instead of one there is a steep learning curve (in contrast to all other characters, which only require mastering one [even Zelda/Shiek and Samus/ZSS]) but because you have three different characters instead of one single character, instead of trying to adapt to a character, you can use a different one. There are several guides on how to use the P. Trainer floating around here, and if there weren't so many, I'd write one myself.

Top Bottom