• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Worth getting a new controller as a Falcon main?

drogoth232

Smash Lord
I know that the title is very broad, but allow me to narrow it down.

I have 3 controllers, all of them are the original platinum GC controllers. Needless to say that they're all old but extremely reliable. I've been playing Melee on Dolphin when I don't have access to my Wii, and I've noticed that recently my right trigger has been extremely sensitive (barely depressing it registers a light shield). This problem also occurs with my second and third GC controllers. The problem also occurs on a regular Wii.

I've considered buying a new GC controller (either the new white or black ones, whichever is cheaper), but I want to know if it would be worth the time to break it in, especially as a Falcon main (I like my moonwalks and whatnot). I haven't used a new, out of box controller literally in years (as I'm sure, many share the same sentiment) and I want to know what I might expect when using it for the first time (tougher time moonwalking or tougher time short hopping, etc)

Or is sticking with my same controller a better option because of familiarity? I still get great results with my current one (can wavedash out of shield, waveland, all that fun stuff), but the risk of accidentally air dodging or light shielding when I'm repositioning my hands is quite worrisome.

Also, hi guys! First time posting on this section of SB.

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
I know that the title is very broad, but allow me to narrow it down.

I have 3 controllers, all of them are the original platinum GC controllers. Needless to say that they're all old but extremely reliable. I've been playing Melee on Dolphin when I don't have access to my Wii, and I've noticed that recently my right trigger has been extremely sensitive (barely depressing it registers a light shield). This problem also occurs with my second and third GC controllers. The problem also occurs on a regular Wii.

I've considered buying a new GC controller (either the new white or black ones, whichever is cheaper), but I want to know if it would be worth the time to break it in, especially as a Falcon main (I like my moonwalks and whatnot). I haven't used a new, out of box controller literally in years (as I'm sure, many share the same sentiment) and I want to know what I might expect when using it for the first time (tougher time moonwalking or tougher time short hopping, etc)

Or is sticking with my same controller a better option because of familiarity? I still get great results with my current one (can wavedash out of shield, waveland, all that fun stuff), but the risk of accidentally air dodging or light shielding when I'm repositioning my hands is quite worrisome.

Also, hi guys! First time posting on this section of SB.
Finding decent controllers these days is tough. Assuming you found one I'm not sure if it could offer what you are asking. If the only problem you have is with the light shield sensitivity, modifying the trigger to suit your needs would be relatively simple and less expensive.
Welcome, also when looking for a good controller accept no substitute.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Finding decent controllers these days is tough. Assuming you found one I'm not sure if it could offer what you are asking. If the only problem you have is with the light shield sensitivity, modifying the trigger to suit your needs would be relatively simple and less expensive.
You're right, but I don't have any replacement springs or whatever. I could buy the screwdrivers and check to see if there's any gunk.

I guess I'll buy the controller anyways. If it's not up to snuff after a while, I'll send it back.

Welcome, also when looking for a good controller accept no substitute.
There's nothing better than holding a familiar controller before you lay the smackdown on your friends and enemies.

coilerr

Smash Cadet
had the same problem with my old silver controller that i believed I cherished then I bought a smash 4 one, my gameplay improved no **** these controlers are OP. Never touched my old one again, and I broke it in in like 2 weeks.

cheers

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
I have 2 silver ones and bought the new black one. For some weird reason I am able to pivot consistently with the black one, so now it's my main controller.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Well, I definitely need to get new controllers now. The triggers are now overly sensitive, barely touching them results in a light shield. And if I'm trying to dash, run, or anything I end up rolling. At least I got a sick moonwalk into reverse knee/stomp kills.

RIP Platinum GC Controllers 2005-2015, you're almost as old as my cousins.

Top Bottom