• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Worst Thing about Duck Hunt Dog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
His laugh isn't the original, but I like the new one.

Still would've preferred the original, though. Maybe it's reserved for the Duck Hunt stage?

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
It's definitely his kill power. I can't tell you how many times i've been playing on For Glory, gotten my opponent to like 145% and died first at like 87% because of the rage mechanic. His kill moves are too telegraphed. It's so upsetting.

Also, if you think the gunmen are bad, you're not playing him right. If there's no gunman on the stage, you're doing it wrong. It's free pressure. Down B CONSTANTLY. From up close it can block a projectile, force a shield which makes for a free grab, or even, if spaced properly, a disengage from a combo or grab attempt on you. From mid range it's a good damage racker that can block a projectile and allow your own projectiles to get to their target easier. And from far range, it's a good meat shield and can possibly still hit them. Start using the gunmen in your games. You'll be glad you did.

NNID
Majorasmask66
For me its his name. Duck hunt sounds atrocious. They should've at least named them duck hunt trio but they didn't. And hey, if they could ignore Olimar AND Pikmin, they could've done the same with the duck hunt dog. What i mean is they just call Olimar and Pikmin, Olimar. Although i believe in the Japanese version they call him Pikmin and Olimar. Any way, the Duck Hunt Dog/Mr.Peepers is the star of the trio. You play it (character wise) for the dog. Not the duck or the guy with the zapper. So if people want to call him Duck Hunt Dog, fine. let them. But if they really wanted to represent all three of them, they should've named them Duck Hunt Trio.

Last edited:

Spirst

For me its his name. Duck hunt sounds atrocious. They should've at least named them duck hunt trio but they didn't. And hey, if they could ignore Olimar AND Pikmin, they could've done the same with the duck hunt dog. What i mean is they just call Olimar and Pikmin, Olimar. Although i believe in the Japanese version they call him Pikmin and Olimar. Any way, the Duck Hunt Dog/Mr.Peepers is the star of the trio. You play it (character wise) for the dog. Not the duck or the guy with the zapper. So if people want to call him Duck Hunt Dog, fine. let them. But if they really wanted to represent all three of them, they should've named them Duck Hunt Trio.
I could never find a legitimate source for the name being Mr. Peepers so I'm assuming it was either never a thing or was retconned.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
There are two characters on screen when playing as Duck Hunt Duo, the dog and the duck, two characters. The guy with the zapper is not a playable character nor can he directly be controlled, his shots can be aimed though, making him an attack, if we were naming everyone who is utilised in the Duck Hunt Duo's attacks, it would be called the Duck Hunt Team, since it's the dog, the duck, the zapper guy, and all 5 gunmen. Yes the duck can't directly be controlled, but it's constantly on screen and plays a large role in the taunts and recovery, as well as attacks, so it would be strange for it not to be in the name. I think Duck Hunt Duo is perfect, but that's just me.

Dyz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dyz-89
3DS FC
1950-9945-5854
why are people still talking about his name? its what it is, just adapt to it, besides if its that much of a trouble if the Amiibo does comes out for this character, just name him the name you prefer

Back on topic though, im with the others regarding his kill moves, but it does seem to be his balance, as once i fought a Duck Hunt who was losing to me, i had the advantage of 2 stocks, but he went more defensive, spacing and predicting my moves he started to even out the odds very quickly, by the time i realized i was down to my last stock and eventually lost from a Bair,
i was salty needless to say having gotten a turn around like that, once people adapt to his spacing and options he can be a real threat, ever since i heard him being included i knew i was going to main him, and i have a ton of fun

for those who have trouble with his UpB recovery, it Can be cancelled, but only by grabbing a ledge this is his best option instead of chosing to go high and land, since the landing lag will pretty much guarantee your death or getting hit again

lastly, i dont mind the new laugh, i actually find myself doing it since its so easy to recreate and in a way, i did a similar laugh in my childhood as my "troll laugh" now i can just say its from Duck Hunt from smash 4 and still be my "troll laugh" heheh

NNID
Majorasmask66
There are two characters on screen when playing as Duck Hunt Duo, the dog and the duck, two characters. The guy with the zapper is not a playable character nor can he directly be controlled, his shots can be aimed though, making him an attack, if we were naming everyone who is utilised in the Duck Hunt Duo's attacks, it would be called the Duck Hunt Team, since it's the dog, the duck, the zapper guy, and all 5 gunmen. Yes the duck can't directly be controlled, but it's constantly on screen and plays a large role in the taunts and recovery, as well as attacks, so it would be strange for it not to be in the name. I think Duck Hunt Duo is perfect, but that's just me.
Duck hunt duo definitely sounds the best IMO

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The worst thing about Duck Hunt Dog is that TV Tropes calls our fandom a broken base because of the Smash fighter's name.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
The worst thing about Duck Hunt Dog is that TV Tropes calls our fandom a broken base because of the Smash fighter's name.
It's true though. Sad, but true.

Seriously, why does everyone give so many ****s about the God damn dog's name? I could probably set up a **** factory with the gratuitous amount of ****s everyone gives.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
The name just show he represents the game like the name Ice Climber in the Japanese version- I feel as if the localization teams had a lot of back & forth with it since the trailer and Lady P's guidance specifically state there are 3 entities there, though one is invisible and duo made a lot more sense without counting the third entity. Even Mr. Game & Watch was originally just "Game & Watch" in the Japanese versions but it now uses the same title the main English localization teams use. R.O.B. is Just "Robot" in the Japanese versions (Though he was marketed as the Family Computer Robot and his splash text still reads R.O.B.) Barring Pit, It seems like the rules for how retros are named are not constants.

NNID
Majorasmask66
The name just show he represents the game like the name Ice Climber in the Japanese version- I feel as if the localization teams had a lot of back & forth with it since the trailer and Lady P's guidance specifically state there are 3 entities there, though one is invisible and duo made a lot more sense without counting the third entity. Even Mr. Game & Watch was originally just "Game & Watch" in the Japanese versions but it now uses the same title the main English localization teams use. R.O.B. is Just "Robot" in the Japanese versions (Though he was marketed as the Family Computer Robot and his splash text still reads R.O.B.) Barring Pit, It seems like the rules for how retros are named are not constants.
IMO, Ice climber is a terrible name. There are two ice climbers thus ice climbers are a better name in my opinion.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
IMO, Ice climber is a terrible name. There are two ice climbers thus ice climbers are a better name in my opinion.
They were named after the game, and some argue they should have been Nana & Popo. I prefer Ice climbers to Ice Climber as well, though.

Spirst

Alright, guys, why are we still held up on the name? It's really not all that important.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Alright, guys, why are we still held up on the name? It's really not all that important.
I don't care if the name says "Duck Hunt" or "Duck Hunt Duo" in the official games. I don't care if some people prefer either names or "Duck Hunt Dog" (like me) or even "Duck Hunt Trio".

What I have an issue with is that some people are so concerned about being a little too accurate or being politically correct that they lambaste other people for not calling the character a duo or even a trio and attempt to police their language, telling us to start saying "Duck Hunt" and stop saying "Duck Hunt Dog/Duo"... telling us to start referring the character as the plural "they" and stop referring the character as the singular "he".

Spirst

I don't care if the name says "Duck Hunt" or "Duck Hunt Duo" in the official games. I don't care if some people prefer either names or "Duck Hunt Dog" (like me) or even "Duck Hunt Trio".

What I have an issue with is that some people are so concerned about being a little too accurate or being politically correct that they lambaste other people for not calling the character a duo or even a trio and attempt to police their language, telling us to start saying "Duck Hunt" and stop saying "Duck Hunt Dog/Duo"... telling us to start referring the character as the plural "they" and stop referring the character as the singular "he".
I agree completely. That said, I find it rather disconcerting that the most active thread right now is people constantly talking about the name. It's really not a big deal, in the long run.

Overmaster

Hibiki for Smash 4 DLC!
The title of the thread is "the worst thing about Duck Hunt Dog". We either complain about the character being extremely campy or the name being wrong.

For my two cents:
The only thing that bothers me about DHD's camping is the sudden death it can lead to. In an no-limit match, it's a fun fight. Otherwise, it's a grinder.

I don't think Duck Hunt rolls off the tongue, but I like how the character is the dog, the bird, and the zapperman all working together. Very cool, and for that reason I will continue to try my best to work Duck Hunt as the word for him. I'll still abbreviate it DHD though, because DH doesn't sound right. (Sounds more like a tech.)

Spirst

The title of the thread is "the worst thing about Duck Hunt Dog". We either complain about the character being extremely campy or the name being wrong.

For my two cents:
The only thing that bothers me about DHD's camping is the sudden death it can lead to. In an no-limit match, it's a fun fight. Otherwise, it's a grinder.

I don't think Duck Hunt rolls off the tongue, but I like how the character is the dog, the bird, and the zapperman all working together. Very cool, and for that reason I will continue to try my best to work Duck Hunt as the word for him. I'll still abbreviate it DHD though, because DH doesn't sound right. (Sounds more like a tech.)
Not necessarily. There's follow-ups, KO power, and recovering as well. All depends on what aspect you're viewing the character from. Playing as him or versing him.

As for the grinding, yeah, I'm with you there. I noticed that if you play it slow and steady with DH, the timer can become an issue. This happens to me sometimes in For Glory.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom