• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Worst Stages?

MeleeMasterRace

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cpobiwan456
3DS FC
2921-9080-8261
Wily's Castle is so dissapointing because it should be an amazingly fun stage but everything is ruined by the Yellow Devil.
Pac Land is awful, for obvious reasons. I hate it more than Mushroomy Kingdom, which is saying something.
I can't stand playing on Wrecking Crew. I don't know why.
I also don't care for the new Star Fox stage, but it's name is slipping my mind.
Really missing Corneria and Fountain of Dreams.
If I could have any one stage back, it would be Fountain of Dreams

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
Wily Castle isn't bad only because of the Yellow ********, but also because it looks super boring. It literally looks like a custom stage. In fact, it reminds me of one of the custom stage backgrounds from Brawl, where there's pyramid like thing in the background, and all this empty space between the background structure and the stage. That's how Wily Castle looks.

Kalos Pokemon League can get really annoying with the stage hazards. When they're there, they're absolutely brutal.

The stupid hydrants in Pac-Land piss me off. It's bad enough Pac Man has that annoying ass hydrant.

Yoshi's Island is stupid for 8 player Smash. Way too chaotic.

Flat Zone X is extremely disappointing.

FlourtownBrown

Smash Rookie
Peach's Castle from the original, because it makes NO SENSE.
My thoughts exactly! When I first played Smash, I was very disappointed that we couldn't fight at peach's castle. That made me think there was a secret castle in the sky in SM64!

Ferblantier

Smash Apprentice
Wily Castle isn't bad only because of the Yellow ****head, but also because it looks super boring. It literally looks like a custom stage. In fact, it reminds me of one of the custom stage backgrounds from Brawl, where there's pyramid like thing in the background, and all this empty space between the background structure and the stage. That's how Wily Castle looks.

Kalos Pokemon League can get really annoying with the stage hazards. When they're there, they're absolutely brutal.

The stupid hydrants in Pac-Land piss me off. It's bad enough Pac Man has that annoying *** hydrant.

Yoshi's Island is stupid for 8 player Smash. Way too chaotic.

Flat Zone X is extremely disappointing.
I agree with a lot of these. Everything about Pac-Land is bad. Yoshi's Island is bad in general. And Flat Zone X is hardly different from Flat Zone 2.

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
I agree with a lot of these. Everything about Pac-Land is bad. Yoshi's Island is bad in general. And Flat Zone X is hardly different from Flat Zone 2.
I don't think Yoshi's Island is bad, but it's bad for 8 players. Same with Caste Siege

Ferblantier

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Yoshi's Island is bad, but it's bad for 8 players. Same with Caste Siege
A lot of the 8-Player stage choices are...questionable. Regular Battlefield, Kongo Jungle 64, and Duck Hunt are just too small.

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
A lot of the 8-Player stage choices are...questionable. Regular Battlefield, Kongo Jungle 64, and Duck Hunt are just too small.
Oh yeah Kongo Jungle sucks. Duck Hunt is borderline passing for me.

Squadaloo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RodRodney
* Paluntena's Temple is virtually unplayable even with 8-players. It really needs a few danger zones in the interior areas like Great Cave Offensive.
* Pac-Land because the death box/camera box is way too small with way too many platforms near the very top of the screen.
* Jungle Hijinx's cooldown time between barrels accomplishes the exact opposite thing it was trying to fix: it's so hard to catch your opponent because you can (and from my experience will) run into situations in which you have two players trying to get each other end up on opposite sides of the screen both waiting for the barrel cooldown to wear off. Worse yet, sometimes you both have it wear off and get into a barrel to catch each other only to end up switching planes and stuck in the same situation. When you have to coordinate so you can try to kill each other, you've done a bad job with a stage.
* Wily Stage because Yellow Devil. Why does it need to show up every 45 seconds? The other two bosses actually don't irritate me nearly as much
* 75M because it's as horrible as ever.
* Duck Hunt and Castle Siege are fine with 4 players, but are dreadful with 8.
* Orbital Gate Assault because the transitions are too quick and it can be difficult to tell what's currently a platform and what isn't (especially on the gamepad)

So yeah, there's a lot of stages I do not like at all in this game. Still not as bad as Brawl's stage selection to me, though.

Last edited:

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
As I look back on it now, there really are a lot of bad stages.

Palutena's Temple: Basically New Pork City part 2.
Game Camp Offensive: Is that my character? Or is there just a bug crawling on the TV?
Wily's Castle: The Yellow Devil sexually harassing me at all times makes this not so fun.
Pyrosphere: The curious dynamic of my most wanted character being a giant annoying pinata who can be killed by Jigglypuff... sigh. And let's just throw in some stupid bugs for no reason.
Pac-Land: It looks like crap, the music sucks, the fire hydrants are annoying, the transitions are completely jarring, you can't tell where the 'plane' is... really just crap.
Jungle Hijinx: The stage gimmick is interesting, but you can tell this was made by Sakurai because there are needless and idiotic random annoyances packed in. Oh look, I jumped in a barrel and a random stone totem popped up and bashed me. Yeah that isn't getting old.

And unfortunately a lot of the old stages are poor choices (I can't confirm that anyone in history ever actually liked 75m), redundant choices (Brawl's Mario Circuit and Smashville? Isn't that already covered?), and just plain boring choices (okay, we have plenty of "touring" stages, that's quite enough, fellas).

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
I love the big stages unlike a lot of people. I like Pac-Land too. Now, stages that I don't like are
Wily Castle: Freaking Yellow Devil
Pyrosphere: Freaking Ridley unless he's helping you (at least he's not playable)
I'm starting to dislike Norfair and Bridge of Elden (or maybe I just miss Pirate Ship :sadeyes:)
75 m: Screw whatever Gamexplain says. This stage is still unplayable
Skyworld: It's not that fun and the music is super inferior to Palutena's Temple
Mario Circuit: Boring, and Shy Guys are annoying
Kongo Jungle 64: It's just really meh to me
8 player Yoshi's Island, Castle Siege, Duck Hunt, Battlefield, Big Battlefield, and somewhat Onett

AIM0001

Smash Lord
The stage roster as a whole is atrocious. I think I only like half the stages on here.

PAC-land is the ugliest stage ever created.

Wily Castle could have been great but too much yellow devil. They should have only let him come out once per match.

Great cave offensive it's too big. Really wanted a better Kirby stage. *sigh*

Flat Zone X is so annoying.

I have no idea what goes through their minds when they make stages but Smash 4 did not deliver in the stage roster department. I'm almost at the point where I'd prefer stage DLC instead of character DLC

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I don't quite understand all the hate for Pac-Land. If anything, it at least has some $****y tunes (Pac-Man's Park, Pac-Man Club Mix), which is more than can be said for... ugh... 75m... Flat Zone X... Gamer...
I didn't even play Star Fox: Assault (or whatever game Orbital Gate was from) and I found the stage underwhelming going off of the Miiverse posts alone. You ride some Arwings... hop on a missile... said missile explodes, wiping out half of the people onscreen... repeat. Repeat. Repeat. I guess I expected too much...
Gaur Plain is annoying as :dkmelee: since it's so freaking huge and Metal Face might show up and take up half the screen just sitting there.
Palutena's Temple is self-explanatory. And it's from a franchise I absolutely despise, so bonus points there.
Great Cave Offensive isn't quite so great. It's bigger than Ridley tenfold and even on 8-Player Smash (where it's INTENDED TO BE USED, mind you), the camera zooms out so far that you can barely see what's going on.
Norfair is still as stupid as it ever was.

Last edited:

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
75m and Pacland are just atrocious. They play terribly, look terrible, and are just unfun. The only good thing about these stages are the tracks on them.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I'm going to have to disagree heavily on all the Pac-land, GCO, Gaur Plains hate, but thats for a different thread.

My worst stage has to go to Dr. Wily's Castle. It's the worst offender of a boss stage. Gaur plains and Pyrosphere are big, Metal Face almost never goes to you to attack, the stages are big enough to avoid both of them as well. Dr Wily's Castle is just too small and the boss has so many annoying attacks.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Stages I don't like:

Halberd (Nitty Gritty + Kirby = bad)
FD Great Cave offfensive (Nothing about this looks like a kirby stage)
Wily Castle (Takes up too much space, Ridley and Metal Face do a much better job)
75m (Its improved, but still bad)
Flat Zone X (Hazards have too much knockback)
Mario Circuit Brawl (Pointless and dull, annoying karts)
Port Town (Nitty Gritty and dull, annoying powerful hazards)
Bridge of Eldin is still dull

I'm not a fan of nitty gritty

The Shadow Emperor

Smash Apprentice
Big Battlefield: Really? The exact same background? We need more variety.
Mario Circuit (Brawl): We don't need two Mario Circuits. And nobody liked this stage to begin with.
Yoshi's Island: Those flipping blocks annoy the heck out of me. Why is this an 8 player stage?
75M: Still utterly unplayable. Too little room to maneuver and too much crap going on.
The Great Cave Offensive: There's a such thing as being too big. The layout is too confusing and distracting.
Kalos Pokemon League: Hazards like being KOd by moving water and platforms. Annoying to play.
Port Town Aero Drive: Some of the stops have no place you can be safe on. This place ****s me over in All-Star.
Skyworld: Platforms create annoying Caves of Life, and when they're destroyed they impede recovery.
Smashville: Redundant, much? Couldn't have put this on the 3DS version instead?
Pac Land: Boring, unappealing design, obnoxious fire hydrants. I never play this if I can avoid it.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Pac-Land. It's just too small and it's a sidescroller.
Palutena's Temple. 64-player Smash maybe. It just seems like it was designed to piss off people who hate big stages. I would've preferred New Pork City to this.
Wily's Castle. Too small. Yellow Devil takes up too much space.
Great Cave Offensive. I get what they were doing with this stage, but it's too big.

CamZilla94

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-2929-3596
Switch FC
SW 2709 2387 5005
I really wish Orbital Gate Assault was just an enhanced Corneria.

Tonzura Koite

Smash Cadet
Pac-Land, hands down. It's an MS Paint disaster that would still be bad even if it looked good. It's the worst-looking background since the game it came from.

Why couldn't we just get an HD Pac maze? It's not like Pac-Man debuted on handhelds or has any special reason to be 3DS-only.

Honorable mentions:
Town and City- The music is just as much of a hype extinguisher as Smashville, but at least Smashville is a time-tested competitive staple.
Mario Circuit Brawl- new Mario Kart stage is really creative and fun to play on. Makes the Brawl one look really, really bad, and it wasn't that good anyway.
Skyworld- Annoying platforms have always wrecked this thing's potential. Palutena's Temple is good for 6-8 player games, and if you like the theme, its omega form is fine for 1v1s.

Last edited:

G_Shaw22

Smash Rookie
NNID
G_Shaw22
3DS FC
0104-1470-8406
Surprised there isn't more people mentioning Skyworld.

The layout is fine, but there's almost nothing worse than "pinballing" between the top and bottom platforms until bouncing off the stage or the bottom platform breaks and you fall through... Recovery is a pain on this stage.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Surprised there isn't more people mentioning Skyworld.

The layout is fine, but there's almost nothing worse than "pinballing" between the top and bottom platforms until bouncing off the stage or the bottom platform breaks and you fall through... Recovery is a pain on this stage.
And the music is terrible.

SerpenteDiBuio

Smash Rookie
So I am actually the only one here who actually likes the Pac Land stage? The remix that accompanies it is amazing, it has a neat gimmick, and I don't really mind the MS paint graphics all too much. It's really a fun stage to me.

And yeah, 75M and Wily Castle are atrocious. Though Gaur Plains is pretty good to me, since you can just ignore Metal Face.

Last edited:

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
I actually really like the stage selection this time around. My offline multiplayer play-time is generally a lot of party-style play with friends, so I don't have a problem with non-competitive stages. I actually like many of the hazards, even the Yellow Devil. The hazards damaging you is fine in my book; my only problem is when the hazards become so powerful that they are getting more kills than the fighters themselves. The 3 stages I dislike most are:

75m: There's no place to actually fight here. I feel like 95% of deaths are caused by the stage destroying you as you desperately clamber around looking for solid ground. The only passable platforms for fighting have those stupid fireballs on them, so fights here basically end up with you getting ping-ponged around until you miss a jump and fall to your death.

Flat Zone X: Again, the hazards on this stage are completely deadly. And to make matters worse, the blast zones are miniscule. They picked the absolutely worst Flat Zone forms to compile for this. Lion Tamer is stupid. The fights I've had here mostly amount to running like mad from all the stage hazards which move about randomly and deal death at absurdly low percentages.

Yoshi's Island: There actually aren't any real hazards here, but the spinning blocks ruin everything. 8-player smash is ridiculously chaotic here (it's one of the worst options for 8-P), so you'll probably die at least once or twice just because you fell through the blocks without even knowing where you are. It's deadly and not at all fun, since the only real place you can go to avoid the blocks is a slope where you are easily thrown or bumped off screen.

As for other smaller problems I have, I don't like how hard it is to tell what is a platform on Orbital Gate Assault. And despite how they clearly tried to make the transitions safe, I've still been dropped through the tiny cracks between planes too many times for my liking. Yoshi's Woolly World is interesting, but I feel like more platforms should have had grabbable ledges. And lastly, Palutena's Temple and the GCO are too big. Even on my >40 inch TV I struggle to pick out my character. Plus, it's impossible to die on Palutena's Temple. I generally favor Time matches in 8-P Smash to prevent running/camping, but most 2-3 minute Time matches in the temple only result in maaaaaybe 1 KO per person. Hyrule Temple is the only stage that I feel perfectly fits 8-P Smash.

EDIT: Also, I like Pac-Land. The hydrants are annoying and very dangerous, but the graphics are hysterical, the music is great, and I've had a lot of fun fights here.

Last edited:

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
Pac-Land, 75m, Smashville, Mario Circuit, Duck Hunt (They could've at least make it a gorgeous 3D stage like in the DH trailer), Great Cave Offensive, Pilotwings, Luigi's Mansion, Palutena's Temple and Flat Zone. I could easily trade ALL those for Fountain of Dreams.

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
Pac-Land. Would've preferred PAC-MAZE tenfold.
GCO. Too big, with a dumb gimmick. I will give it credit in that it has one of the most gorgeous Omega forms though.
Orbital Gate Assault. Poke-Floats if the floats blended in with other, unridable floats in the background.
75m. Obvious reasons, could've easily been replaced with something not as bad.
All the god-damn "tour" stages". It was bad enough that Delfine Plaza and Port Town came back, but there's 4 ****ing tour stages that have the same gimmick (moving stage that goes through an area and sometimes lands to present new platforms or otherwise changes the platform layouts in some way), not to mention the "new" Mute City and Prism Tower on 3DS.

Also, the lack of Melee/N64 stages that are good, like Fountain of Dreams, Yoshi's Island 64, or any god damn other N64 stage for that matter. Exactly why couldn't even the 3DS version get, say Yoshi's Island 64 or Peach's Castle 64 instead of god damn Jungle Japes, probably one of the most potential-ridden stages ruined entirely by one stupid gimmick? Plus, Sector Z would've been a good choice for 8 Player mode on Wii U.

As a bonus, I'm not partial to the "new" Mute City on 3DS. It feels like they wanted Mute City but went "eh, it'd be easier to just change it a bit and use the actual original graphics for it". At least Dream Land and Magicant have a bit of originality behind them.

Last edited:

Alses

Smash Apprentice
1 - OGA goes by so quickly you spend most of the match getting back on platforms due to the change than actually fighting.
2 - Gaur Plain is a big hole.
3- The GCO I don't even play on because of the insta-kill lava and random minecarts, damaging lava is fine but the insta-kill stuff in Sm4sh is sooo stupid.
4 - Pac-Land is a failure just like 75M especially when compared to the other retro style stages like Flatzone.
5 - Delfino Plaza especially since now it seems the death boundaries will never get fixed and standing on the top platforms is still a deathtrap.

And those were my top 5 most hated stages.

Why can't everything be like the Wii Fit Studio? xD

HotNTasty

Smash Apprentice
Pac land is annoying for the hazards, the MS paint look and scrolling elements are tolerable, but the tree stumps/hydrants (I say as a Pac Man Main)/geysers are ridiculous.
75m, While not as bad now that you can drop through beams is still bad, why waste the time bringing it back? Even I 8 player smash its godawful.
Also Guar Plain has zero tolerance for imperfection in recovery, forcing you to hug the walk offs.
Palutena's temple it takes years for you to die on. Makes me almost miss NPC.

Also while not hate I wish Duck hunt had the trailer's beautiful HD looks, and am I the only one who likes Yoshi's island 8 player chaos?

AuraBreak

Smash Apprentice
Great Cave Offensive and Palutena's Temple are complete garbage. In Smash's case, bigger is NOT better.

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
I actually like 75m, has some cool themes on it, and had a lot of fun fights on it due the OP hazards.

Wily´s Castle: Yellow Devil is one big son of a gun. Takes a lot of space, shows a lot, and do tons of damage.

GCO: Annoying as hell, too big, stupid OHKO lava. No, just no.

I think that the other stages are OK, even Palutena's temple is fine.

Weavile's Wrath

Smash Apprentice
I actually kinda like Palutenas Temple, but GCO is an utter failure. At least the Omega mode of GCO is fun in terms of it looking good.
As every other person has said, the selection of returning stages is horrendous. 75m, Mario Circuit(brawl), Norfair, Bridge of Eldin, and Yoshi's Island(Melee) are all crap. I'd rather have Kongo Jungle(Melee), Rainbow Cruise, Frigate Orpheon, Hyrule Castle, and Yoshi's Story replacing them.

Top Bottom