• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

deleted post

D

Deleted member

deleted post

Last edited by a moderator:

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
  • Virtual Boy: good god, probably the WORST first-party Nintendo controller ever. The bizarre symmetrical design and the incredibly stiff D-pad are miserable.
  • Nearly every third-party N64 and GameCube controller: more often than not made with terrible shapes that contour POORLY in hands, made with the crappest plastic imaginable, and with spongy buttons. For both consoles, HORI are one of the few exceptions, making nearly Nintendo quality controllers.
  • Every DualShock controller before 4: here's an unpopular one. I still cannot fathom how that godawful stiff, resistive D-Pad survived for THREE console generations (this doubly sucks when you get a lot of 2D games). Also, those DS3 L2/R2 triggers are cancer.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

The rubber analog stick would melt away, the A button would always get stuck, and the Z button never worked.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I usually avoid bad controllers. I opt for official ones most of the time, but things happen.

Worst one for me is also a madcatz one. Wireless PS2 controller. Battery was pretty bad, the symbols on the buttons could be easily wipe off if you tried. It just felt very off.

Since I don't really have a terrible one that I've owned, I guess I can say that for worst dpads, I'd choose 360 and the first PSP version.

D

Deleted member

I'm going to echo Sari and say the MadCatz GameCube controller, however for me it was the X button that was stuck/wouldn't work.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Some knockoff N64 controller my dad bought for me along with a racing game some 18 years ago. Used it all the time until like two weeks later when all of a sudden, the analog stick made a weird clicking sound and it stopped working.

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
My uncle LOVED Gamestop/Mad Catz GC controllers because they were cheap.

And since I was the one who used them the most (because SOMEONE had to), I always received the blame when they finally winded up breaking down.

Joel_Tarkus

Smash Cadet
NNID
explodingmuffin7
Im seeing a lot of madcatz controllers. I can't think of one myself, I was always able to recognize when controllers didn't seem quite right. But I am just going to go ahead and say that I have never seen a quality third party nintendo controller. Playstation and Xbox have had some pretty good ones but with nintnendo you have to stick with first party controllers. Well I guess the smashbox looks pretty nice, but I don't know if that counts.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Just like some of y'all shugs here, third-party Gamecube controllers. I bought one from Gamestop and even bought another brand from Dollar General. Buttons felt stiff with unneeded add-ons like turbo. I even have a PS2 controller (also third-party) that's hard to use due to the d-pad. Now I play Tekken series and the design on the pad makes it harder to perform diagonal directions. Like playing on an arcade cabinet sometimes, and I'm not used to that.

I'd say the Wiimote and/or Nunchuck too. I remember back to a time when some Gamestop stores had Brawl on the Wii kiosk I had to use this combo. Never got used to that, so I play only with Gamecube controllers. Now, I think no other controller can beat that when it comes to playing Smash, so...

I cannot say that the Wii U Gamepad is a good controller. Too bulky to hold, awkward to play anything on it, generally a pain to deal with. It also doesn't help that it's the only controller I have for the Wii U (outside the aforementioned Wiimote). I said to myself: "I'm getting the pro controller and I ain't playing TTT2 until I do."

When y'all get down to it, there is no one worst controller.

Last edited:

Lichi

This is my war snarl
nintendo-64-hori-commander-pad-loose.jpg

This sucker. yeah just get rid of the handles, that makes it easy to grip. Especially cause now you're holding this piece of junk asymmetrically. Wonderful.

To add insult to injury, the buttons and stick were just awful. The original n64 stick already was poor quality, but the third party pieces win the trash award without question.

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
The worst one I ever got was the Intec Pro Mini 2 for the Gamecube.

Interestingly enough, I actually really liked this controller, but it was rather flimsy in a few areas and would be prone to random problems after awhile. I ended up getting two of these. One broke down because the cords on the top of it became disconnected and the other, while it still works, keeps suffering from movement issues, specifically with the control stick (the game thinks I'm moving the stick when I'm not).

I've never gotten a third-party controller since, but a few of my friends did. One of my buddies got two of the aforementioned MadCatz controllers (both wireless, GCN) and while they still technically work, they do seem to have a mind of their own when it comes to connecting. That same friend also had another GCN third-party controller, but I don't remember who made it. It was rather big and translucent which made it look cool, but after awhile it would shut off the entire system the moment you plugged it in.

EDIT: Typos

Last edited:

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Wiimote-definitely the worst i've ever tried.
It is not too bad, but smash just makes it worse. I do see your points on how it's bad though, like how you need to pay extra for some add ons for certain games, like the nunchuck and classic controller for things like Virtual console and etc.?

I have mainly avoided third-party controllers, but one controller i've had years ago takes the cake: the Super Pad 64 Plus

I can't believe I've played with this thing, it was BAD

Last edited:
Top Bottom