• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Worst character to fight with

Trozz

Smash Ace
What's a good counter pick to Olimar? My mains (Marth/Lucas) have a hard time dealing with Olimar, so I resort to more ranged-capable characters. Link seems to perform decently well against Olimar (but the bombs can explode on you if a Pikmin is latched.

How do you counter-pick Olimar on Shadow Moses Island? That map is such an Olimar friendly map. Blarg.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
What's a good counter pick to Olimar? My mains (Marth/Lucas) have a hard time dealing with Olimar, so I resort to more ranged-capable characters. Link seems to perform decently well against Olimar (but the bombs can explode on you if a Pikmin is latched.

How do you counter-pick Olimar on Shadow Moses Island? That map is such an Olimar friendly map. Blarg.
Hi Trozz. I'm Gaz, and I fought you online before! :)

Anyways, I think Meta Knight is Olimar's worst match up. Meta Knight can pressure Olimar so easily. Olimar fights at his best when he has control over the stage. When Olimar can manage to distance himself from the opponent, Olimar suddenly has so many options to win. However, when the opponent pressures Olimar and prevents him from taking over the stage, it's extremely challenging for Olimar to regain his dominance. Meta Knight is great at that.

Kabuto Mushi

Smash Journeyman
Hi Trozz. I'm Gaz, and I fought you online before! :)

Anyways, I think Meta Knight is Olimar's worst match up. Meta Knight can pressure Olimar so easily. Olimar fights at his best when he has control over the stage. When Olimar can manage to distance himself from the opponent, Olimar suddenly has so many options to win. However, when the opponent pressures Olimar and prevents him from taking over the stage, it's extremely challenging for Olimar to regain his dominance. Meta Knight is great at that.
I'll second that. Any character that can keep the pressure on Oli will likely win... this includes guys like Pikachu, Marth, Squirtle, Metaknight, ZSS, etc...

Although in response to the original poster, Luigi is a very tough matchup. The worst is when you are trying to juggle Luigi and he uses his Luigi Tornadoe move... it completely cancles Olimar's UpSmash! (Unless you time it perfectly at the start of the move: try a yellow pikmin) I can only reccomend to remain defensive and on the groud... yuor pimin throw will have a minimal effect but your grabs all still work well. ;)

eaglith

Smash Rookie
My strategy with Olimar/Pik is somewhat different than you guys. Yes, it depends on what character im fighting, but usually, I throw Pikmin at them until they approach me, and I hit them with nice Dsmash/Fsmash/Upsmash, depending on which one will work. In general, I am more controlling, and aggresive, against bigger characters. Ones that sit back and can kill me defensively (without having to approach me) are usually victors. Here's a vid, of me versing Pokemon trainer, and he uses all three (Charizard, Squirtle, and Venasaur). Notice my different strategies for each, and how one (Venasaur), is good against me.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yl41iWBYj2A&feature=related

Newtwarrior

Smash Cadet
By Far the worst match ups for olimar go as follow:

Pit (his arrows keep olimar at bay, and pikmin that aren't purple die to them one shot)
Luigi (has to be really good , also kabuto's reasonings are valid)
Fox (one of the most annoying matchups, olimar can easily get pikmin on fox, considering hes all physical (excluding laser) hes just fast and annoying, watchin echo's videos and my personal experiences, though, odly enough, I deal with falco just fine)
Pikachu - fast and annoying, need i say more.

I personally fine metaknight to be misunderstood amoung the olimar community, excluding that hold A attack, which most defintely can slice up any pikmin that dares attempt to get through, meta knight is just another sonic, just wiat and he'll come, he has to , no projectiles for him, plus he gets KO'd very VERY easily.

csir

Smash Apprentice
I beat Pit pretty easy.. never tried against a metaknight and for some reason Toon Link is really easy too, but Luigi is just annoying like Kabuto said his Down B cancels His Smash Attacks, the only useful thing I could do is keep on grabing :(

Byron 1337

Smash Journeyman
Waterloo, Ontario, IGLOO-LAND Oh, and play Melee
From my experience Meta Knight is the worst match up. Don't get me wrong, I'm not Olimar, I play as Meta Knight. It is easy to see the frustration after Olimar gets gimped three times in a row because of MK's amazing off the ledge game. Also if Meta Knight keeps the pressure on all the time, Olimar never seems to have enough Pikmin to do what he wants. It is even harder to edge guard Meta, due to 5 jumps, a glide and the fact that all his B moves help him recover.

Trozz

Smash Ace
Curse you, Gaz. I'll get you.

MetaKnight has trouble scoring KOs, but he definitely sounds like a good pick for keeping in his face.

Is it possible to catch thrown Pikmen?

Zellsfalco

Smash Apprentice
Guys! Olimar is sad! the easiest match-up against him is definitely Wolf and Falco duh! they are untouchable by pikmin and only reverse olimar's pikmin! along with their insane ability to juggle olimar which is his weakness big time! the only way u can beat a wolf or falco is if they are dumb enuf to be defensive and dont spam the reflector enuf.

wa-kingdom

Smash Cadet
true, but never underestimate the power of a good pikmin user like myself, after a while...throwing pikmin would be utterly stupid. ill just smash away....still hate them though

wa-kingdom

Smash Cadet
true, but never underestimate the power of a good pikmin user like myself, after a while...throwing pikmin would be utterly stupid. ill just smash away....still hate them though

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I also agree that Meatknight is a really bad matchup for Olimar. The Pikmin get destroyed by him. And Metaknightss ariels are much faster than Olimar's airs and are equal or greater in range. If Metaknight can get the battle to the air where grabs and smashes are not an option for Olimar, he IMO will dominate Olimar.

Psyflame

Smash Cadet

Heh, hey Trozz. Psy here, I fought you yesterday. Anyway, my Olimar has trouble dealing with characters who can outspam me, so Link is a good choice. In my particular case the only way I can deal with a well-played Link or TL is by switching to Wario, my other main. I mean, I have beaten Links in the past as Oli but it's ten times tougher than any other matchup. Meta-Knight, as Gaz noted, is another tough one for Olimar but only if played very well since Oli is a great punisher and Meta is all about coming in fast. So there you have it - the Links and Meta-Knight are all what I would consider "counterpicks" to Olimar.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
My strategy with Olimar/Pik is somewhat different than you guys. Yes, it depends on what character im fighting, but usually, I throw Pikmin at them until they approach me, and I hit them with nice Dsmash/Fsmash/Upsmash, depending on which one will work. In general, I am more controlling, and aggresive, against bigger characters. Ones that sit back and can kill me defensively (without having to approach me) are usually victors. Here's a vid, of me versing Pokemon trainer, and he uses all three (Charizard, Squirtle, and Venasaur). Notice my different strategies for each, and how one (Venasaur), is good against me.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yl41iWBYj2A&feature=related
That was a great match, mate! It seems like you were a very "IN YOUR FACE!" at the beginning with Ivysaur, and also with Charizard. Then, towards the end, you were more like "...Hey, come here, I won't hurt you..." with Ivysaur again. I like your blend of defensive and offensive tactics.

Interesting. I haven't fought with Pokemon Trainer users very often - perhaps only seven or eight times. But I never had great trouble with Ivysaur. The opponents I faced did not use Razor Leaf nearly as much, though. That could be the answer.

Pink4Life

Smash Cadet
I think Olimars hardest match-up is a good R.O.B, ROB has such a good game against Olimar. He can easily gimp Olis Recovery (I know every char can, but more so with Rob)
This could just be me, but i always have trouble with ROB.

PITS on the other hand arel ike beating up blind autistic children, They cant defend themselves. I've never had trouble with Pit spam (Or just any Pit in general). Just gotta know how to abuse them grabs.

Meta is a hard match-up, but only against a good meta :O. Throwing pikmin at a Meta is kinda useless, unless you follow it with a grab.

The hardest macth-up for me was playing a falco :O and a fox (Not so much wolf, you fight so many wolfs on Wifi-Wars, you HAVE to find a strat against them). Falco's IASA dash to up smash really hurts my OLI, i mean i win against Falco, it's just that the match is harder than usual. Fox, is hard (for me :O) hes fast, he can just reflect any pikmin you throw, AND the pikmin already latched. Its useless throwing pikmin at Fox. And the down grab to u smash combo doesn't work as well against fox, for some STOOpid reason. (****ed space animals)

But yea
1. Fox
2. Falco
3. ROB
4. Wolf
5. Pit

nevershootme

Smash Master
As far as I know...

Fox
Falco (Chain throw at 0%...)
Wolf (side smash plows through your own side smash)
Snake (those dash attacks can really piss you off)
Game and Watch (If you can constantly link bair, but G&W dies easily)
Pit (depending if the player is skilled, then yea arrow camper...)

deathborn00

Smash Apprentice
I say Luigi. It's very easy for him to approach Olimar, especially if the Luigi user is spamming his tornado for movement instead of running. The tornado knocks away all the pikmin you throw, and knocks away your fsmash/dsmash pikmin throw. So you basically have to resort to a strong air game, but Luigi kicks *** in the air v.v

Elidibus

Smash Cadet
I'm surprised no one has said Lucas yet. Sure, MK is tough, but he's a very solid player in the first place. But Lucas give me the most trouble. He totally out prioritizes my aerial game and he's a beast on the ground. It seemed to me that his Forward smash attack came out faster than my Forward smash attacks. Kinda annoying. And that pesky shield of his keeps my pikmin at bay.

Hadn't fought any decent Luigi players yet. Squirtle gives me trouble too, seeing as he's jsut so dang annoying.

Trozz

Smash Ace
I play a lot of Lucas and it goes either way for me when against an Olimar. Some Olimars are slow, don't know how to avoid spells, and can't take control of the stage. Others follow a specific pattern to minimize damage taken while pressuring the opponent in to bad situations.

For that match up, it comes down to who is better at playing their opponent.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
I'm surprised no one has said Lucas yet. Sure, MK is tough, but he's a very solid player in the first place. But Lucas give me the most trouble. He totally out prioritizes my aerial game and he's a beast on the ground. It seemed to me that his Forward smash attack came out faster than my Forward smash attacks. Kinda annoying. And that pesky shield of his keeps my pikmin at bay.

Hadn't fought any decent Luigi players yet. Squirtle gives me trouble too, seeing as he's jsut so dang annoying.
Lucas can be quite tough. It is true that he is very good at controlling the air, but on the ground, his strength is somewhat deceiving. A Lucas will most likely use PK Fire a lot, while Olimar is on the ground. Lucas will try to get Olimar to jump into the air, so he can rush under and dominate Olimar. However, you can counter this by spamming Pikmin Throw while standing on the ground. They will take the PK Fires and protect you. Then, if Lucas tries to rush in, you've just been given a load of opportunities to punish Lucas.

Nevertheless, I agree with you that Lucas is a tough opponent.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
olimar is one of the characters i use most, and I actually dont use the pikmin throw that much. I fight close range with him, and win a good amount of the times.

SKEET SHADY

Smash Journeyman
IMO metaknight is Olimar's worst match up. His arial game is too good for Olimar. Not only that, he kills the pikmin faster than most characters. Except maybe like wolf or luigi.

Urb

Smash Journeyman
Olimar actually has some fair atks without his pIkmin, but he is nothing in a match against an arrow spamming pit. Pit's arrows can keep pikmin at bay and be really annoying! That's why I developed a tactic wich cancels this, Yousimply use his arial atks to hit arrows and get in close w/out getting close.

Legendary Status

Smash Rookie
i find that opponents who can "fly" such as Pit, Metaknight, and etc tend to easily fall for a well place d-air. maybe its just me.

Pit can spam his arrows but Olimar can throw Pikmin faster than he can shoot his arrows. so i use the pikmin as shields until i get in his face and lay the smackdown haha.

I've never really had trouble dealing with Metaknight.

Im surprised that no one has mentioned Kirby. After he swallows Olimar, his ability is really annoying.

My main concerns are good Marth players and good Luigis

Pyr0

Smash Ace
Marth plain and simple.

- Disjointed hitbox is longer than Olimar's disjointed hitbox.
- Shieldbreaker
- Faster Roll
- Juggle of doom
- Spike
- Easy edgehog

For those saying that Metaknight ***** Olimar... you suck, Olimar's grab r@pe MK alive.

Top Bottom